New MAGCHARGER refuses to charge. Charger LED stays off but battery quickly gets hot

brightnorm

Flashaholic
After many tries and much anticipation I'm VERY frustrated. I followed the instructions to the letter. "The light must be OFF while charging. Check for OFF by placing empty light in connected charger. If LED is on, your switch is in ON position, so turn it OFF, remove from charger, replace battery and firmly tighten tailcap, reinsert in charger and LED will come ON".....but it doesn't, and the battery quickly gets very warm.

Lemlux instructed that the wide end of the spring goes into the light first, which I've done, and I was careful to fully tighten the tailcap and yes, I inserted the battery + end first. And NO, I've never had any problems charging any of my other rechargeables.

I know that Magchargers are very reliable, so I assume I'm doing something wrong but I'll be d*mned if I know what it is,

It's 3:40 AM here and I've been trying to get this @$*^!!! light on charge so I can go to sleep.

Any advice is MOST welcome.

Brightnorm

catlord18

Newly Enlightened
Re: New MAGCHARGER refuses to charge. Charger LED stays off but battery quickly gets hot

Brightnorm,
The narrow end of the spring goes in first to make contact with the battery stick. The wide end of the spring will sit on the rim of the tailcap where there is no anodizing, this will leave a space behind the spring so that the spare lamp will fit inside the tailcap.

Hope this helps.

Catlord 18

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: New MAGCHARGER refuses to charge. Charger LED stays off but battery quickly gets hot

Originally posted by catlord18:
Brightnorm,
The narrow end of the spring goes in first to make contact with the battery stick. The wide end of the spring will sit on the rim of the tailcap where there is no anodizing, this will leave a space behind the spring so that the spare lamp will fit inside the tailcap.

Hope this helps.

Catlord 18
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Catlord,

I believe you're referring to the Maglite where the spring is in the tail. My light is the Magcharger where the spring goes in front of the + battery terminal, and there is no spring at the tail.

Thanks for trying to help.

Brightnorm

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm. Thats not the way my magcharger works!!! Mine is several years old but from the postive battery contact in the light to the tailcap it looks just like a 3d mag... I.e. mine has a TAILCAP spring

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I'll be D*mned!! You guys are RIGHT.
twak.gif
twak.gif
twak.gif
twak.gif
twak.gif

I can't believe I was so dumb!

Thnks all,

Brightnorm

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't worry i have done worse things myself! Take care.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Bushman:
Don't worry i have done worse things myself! Take care.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks!

Tombeis

Enlightened

Brightnorm:

Why would any of us smarties make fun of one of the most pleasant, knowledgable, smartest, all around nice guys to post on this forum?

Happy you got your Magcharger running. Now, if I could do the same with my Surefire B90 battery powered units, I could also be happy.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Tom,

Kind words are always nice to hear even if they are embarassing and feel exaggerated.

In terms of those B90's, I'm wondering if Copia/Wolf-eyes might be an alternative to consider.

Thanks!
Brightnorm

Tombeis

Enlightened

Norm:

I talked to Greg Atwell (Brightguy) last week about the Copia rechargeables. He is chcking on US distribution.

The product looks promising. I hope it is.

I am still confident that Surefire will come up with a suitable quality B90.

Maybe their war effort has put the B90 problem on the back burner. If that is so, I fully understand. I would rather have them concentrate on products that will keep American GI's alive.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm, I am curious, I have never handled a Magcharger, how does it compare to the Tigerlight?

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Stingray:
Brightnorm, I am curious, I have never handled a Magcharger, how does it compare to the Tigerlight?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You've probably handled a 3D Maglite. The Magcharger is almost identical in appearance, size and weight, but is rechargeable. With the new lamp it is much brighter than the 3D with stock lamp. Of course it also has a longer bright run period than its nonrechargeable cousin.

It is considerably bigger and heavier than the Tigerlight and doesn't generate the sheer lumen power of the smaller light, but with the new lamp it projects a very powerful, unusually white beam (almost as white as the Tigerlite with UCL). It is a formidable light and feels indestructible in the hand. I can see why many LEO's are fond of this light despite its size and weight. It feels like it could indeed be a "friend in need".

Brightnorm

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, I keep a Mag 3D, among others lights, in my car because of its impact weapon potential, so I can relate to the size comparison. It also has some intimidation value in certain circumstances.

I just bought a Tigerlight 11" to keep in the house. It's good for investigating noises outside or even as a "bump in the night" light. I was amazed at the lumen output of it. I would guestimate that it is twice the lumen output of my 9P with HOLA. It has some impact weapon value also, but with the spray it probably wouldn't be used that way. Unfortunately, mine came with the old style batwing lamp, and my pepper sprays were 3/4's of the way to their expiration date right off the bat. Hopefully tigerlight will take care of that for me. We'll see.

I was curious as to the light output comparison. This tigerlight is really bright and white.

How easy is it to replace the battery in the Magcharger? It took me an hour to get the battery back into my tigerlight. I took it out out of curiosity and the wires were so short they didn't reach past the head. They must have a holding tool or something for the plug when they assemble it. I wish the wires were a couple of inches longer like the picture in the manual shows.

I think it will do well with the LEO's also.

Steve

TigerLight Pro

Newly Enlightened

Steve,
TigerLight will swap that switch out if you send back, or you can take to authorized dealer, they have repair kits. A 1/2 inch makes a huge difference. There has to be something wrong, our assemblers can assemble the light from a box of parts to the retail box in about a tenth that time, if parts are in spec, there have been those days.

What brand spray did you buy, I will check inventory.

The bottom line is that TigerLight will always do it's best to take care of friends. Even the occasional unfriendly. : )

You can also email [email protected] he will see to it that you are taken care of.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Stingray:
.....How easy is it to replace the battery in the Magcharger? It took me an hour to get the battery back into my tigerlight....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Steve,

The Magcharger reloads just about as easily as the Stinger series, which is very fast indeed. I've done a Stinger, UltraStinger and MagCharger in less than 30 seconds each. I too wish the Tigerlight could reload faster but that would be difficult to achieve with the present design.

Broightnorm

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Randy,

Thanks for the quick response to that post, it's very much appreciated.

It looks like a loop of wire got pinched between the bottom of the battery area and the side of the body, effectively shortening one of the wires.

I bought Body Guard cone spray 001-SYS-TLGS

I didn't mean to be unfriendly, just posting what happened
smile.gif

An email was sent to Tigerlight about this last week, didn't hear back yet. I will email [email protected] as you suggested.

Steve

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Randy....I emailed [email protected] on monday as you suggested and haven't heard anything back at all.
confused.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

deleted doublepost

TigerLight Pro

Newly Enlightened

TigerLight went to Las Vegas last week