New Maglite 2C ML25LT

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mine made from Maglite. Well it's been at my home for a few days but I wasn't. Took about a week all told.

IMG-20190503-143622.jpg

Came with stickers.
I joined Maglite Nation and got a 20 percent discount and.... they included swag.

I placed a tailcap from a blue one on it to remind me it has rechargeable C cells in it.

After dark edit:
Wow! You can definitely see where the extra 20 lumens went...forward...like shot out of a bazooka. Amazing.

The low looks to be about 30- 50% if I had to guess. A pretty bright low.
End edit.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, Thanks.

I am glad to see that Mag is not using PWM on their newer lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Took my new ML25 for a walk with a 332 lumen minimag and at a distance the ML beat the pants off the minimag.
It was dusk so there was enough sunlight to not need a flashlight.

So when the Mrs and I neared some woods I shone the ML25 through layers of brush and trees like a drill through balsa wood. Mrs Fixer using the minimag aimed at the same area says "is this thing even on?" as it did not even light up the woods edge much less penetrate into the layers. Once it got dark the minimag lit up our area very well.

But the ML25 was amazing at looking for eyeballs at a distance while not interfering with peripheral vision at all. Maglite dun good (again) with the maxi-minmag called ML25.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep she can throw! And it's such a small package easy to throw in your coat pocket. Basically it's a min mag on Steroid. And because it doesn't cost and arm an a leg you don't have to worry about it getting beat up.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the ML25' are much more useful than the Mini Mag Pro's I use one of my ML25's every day, while my 272 lumen MM Pro sees very little use. I still use my MM Pro Plus occasionally but mostly in the low mode.

If I want something smaller, I just grab a 98 lumen AAA Mini Mag LED, which has a beam more like the ML25's than the AA MM Pro. I find the Pro's spill to be too small and too bright while the AAA MM has a nice big spill that is bright enough without being too bright.

The throw on the ML25's is pretty impressive considering the lumens and you can't beat them for price/value!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Surprisingly the Mag site still shows incan ML25's.

Those are fun with a pair of 18500 lifepo's and 4 cell bi-pin Mag bulb. I suppose one could use regular 18500's and a 5 cell bulb too. But the lifepo/4 cell bulb combo does not melt the reflector around the bulb.

light-modder

Enlightened
I never have been able to find any of the incan model locally unfortunately. May have to order one sometime, or find one on here or eBay.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
ZBattery has them if you don't mind ordering online. Called the ML25IT (not LT).

Some folks said their local Target had them back in 016 when they first came out.

My local Target never had any flashlights beyond the $10 junk.

Last edited:

light-modder

Enlightened
Thanks bykfixer!
I don't have a local target but my local Walmart got the LT pretty quick after they came out. I grabbed two of them right away, there are pretty great.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprisingly the Mag site still shows incan ML25's.

Those are fun with a pair of 18500 lifepo's and 4 cell bi-pin Mag bulb. I suppose one could use regular 18500's and a 5 cell bulb too. But the lifepo/4 cell bulb combo does not melt the reflector around the bulb.

I almost bought one at target, but I figured the LED versions would be more practical. I was thinking of running a couple 14500's and a 6 cell bulb, but thought that might melt the reflector and besides the LED versions are brighter than the incan 6 cell bulb anyway.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did a pair of lifepo's figuring about 6.4 hot off the charger then started out with a 5 cell bi-pin for meh, so so output. 60, maybe 70 lumens. Then did a 4 cell bulb and wow, wow, wow. It competed with the LT for throw. And when the bulb didn't poof after a few minutes I figured it could be a fun little incan.

The area where the bulb touches the reflector melted ever so slightly about an hour (total) into use. I put a slightly diffused poly carbonate lens by flashlight lens called acrylite on it to clean up the stink-o beam.

The 3 cell IT got a pair of 18650's and a TL3 bulb. Now that one melted the reflector more.

The folks at Mag used either ceramic or a really hard plastic around the bi-pin holes. One fellow back in 016 modified a metal Stinger (iirc) reflector and some high output 18650's or something to hot wire an ML25IT.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...9-New-Mag-C-cell-incandescent-twisties-ML25IT
His idea is on page 2.

My version is on page 1.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Acquired a gray 2 speed ML25 at my local WalMart. They had 2 gray and one black. Already had a black one.

So I pulled out a eneloop C kit that has been collecting dust since 016 and now have a dynamic duo.

IMG-20190511-233340.jpg

Also had a spare tailcap with lanyard mod.

IMG-20190511-233649.jpg

Both have rechargeable fuel cells.
Bezel swap shown in the top photo lets me know at a glance they are fueled by rechargeable cells. Plus they just look cool that way.

I noticed the beam from the black one is more neutral than the gray one.

IMG-20190511-233223.jpg

Not spectrum series tint but definitely not white either.

And in case nobody knew you can set your beam and power it on/off via the tailcap, yup you can but...
The 2 speed can also be switched to low via quick rotate of the tailcap too.

Edit:
Ultra-clear glass installed.

IMG-20190512-062104.jpg

Flashlightlens.com sells them.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeables are they way to go with these! AA Eneloops, NIMH C's, even 18650's (in an adapter) all work great!

The UC glass looks like a nice upgrade!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
😁 some of my fondest memories I have as a small boy we're being out past dark with my friends with a cheap plastic incandescent flashlight and just exploring or using it to find a good hiding spot for hide and seek. And the streets were never lit so they came in real handy. Of corse shining them lights down the street wasn't the same as it is today.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Exactly.

We had incan street lights that 'glowed' at times. Other times not. But the city was so dark at night you could see by the stars most nights. A wak-a-palm flashlight was a benefit to some degree.

Then came the shopping mall and my whole city glows in the dark now. So a wak-a-palm light offers little to no benefit anymore. But those new ML25's sure do. Can't wait to try them in the country side where genuine darkness still lives after sundown.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh dark streets are almost extinct anymore. Thank god im in the country there are actually still dirt roads around me and if you want a nice place to test a flashlight at night there is no better place.You just need to be prepared to answer some question by local law enforcement though. Yep been there a few times. Apparently most can't believe your miles outside town on a completely dark deserted dirt road just to test your flashlights out 😁. Go figure.