New Maglite 2C ML25LT

xxo

Running a single NiMH in the old 2C is not as bright as with 2 cells on high, but is brighter than low mode on the 2 speed 2C. I have no way to measure lumens accurately. With a single Tenavolt I got 1 hr of run time.

I like Tenavolts for testing lights like these, because unlike alkalines (and even Li-ions and NiMH's to a small extent) that will taper off in Voltage and current, Tenavolts put out constant Voltage and current until they are dead. While the smaller AA size Tenavolts can't compare with 18650s and such, they do have slightly higher Watt hrs than standard Eneloops and usually give a bit longer run time.

INFRNL

I find that crazy the tenavolts maintain their voltage until depleted. Must have something to do with it being a normal 4.2v li-ion that's regulated to 1.5v.

I could use a variety of sizes of a tenavolt.

Edit: before I started feeling under the weather today, i started to get current draw data. I didn't have it on the light meter but i found some interesting things. It may have to do with the stepdown you mentioned.

Around 4.15v-4.2v it started around 700ma, around 30 seconds in (not timed) the draw raised a bit then steadily started dropping. It took several minutes and didn't really level out. One reading got down to around 430ma.

I didn't really notice a drop in output, just draw. I'll work on it more tomorrow. I have a few ranges i want to check from 3v to 4.2v.

I also almost got it up to 5v today, kind of on accident. I was playing with the voltage to try and get a quicker reading, but it doesn't work like that on this light. Anyway, i almost bumped it to 5v. I'm thinking it might be safe to 6v, but I'm not ready to blow it up until my testing is done. Maybe if wallymart had more in stock, but this was the last one

Last edited:

xxo

I find that crazy the tenavolts maintain their voltage until depleted. Must have something to do with it being a normal 4.2v li-ion that's regulated to 1.5v.

I could use a variety of sizes of a tenavolt.

Edit: before I started feeling under the weather today, i started to get current draw data. I didn't have it on the light meter but i found some interesting things. It may have to do with the stepdown you mentioned.

Around 4.15v-4.2v it started around 700ma, around 30 seconds in (not timed) the draw raised a bit then steadily started dropping. It took several minutes and didn't really level out. One reading got down to around 430ma.

I didn't really notice a drop in output, just draw. I'll work on it more tomorrow. I have a few ranges i want to check from 3v to 4.2v.

I also almost got it up to 5v today, kind of on accident. I was playing with the voltage to try and get a quicker reading, but it doesn't work like that on this light. Anyway, i almost bumped it to 5v. I'm thinking it might be safe to 6v, but I'm not ready to blow it up until my testing is done. Maybe if wallymart had more in stock, but this was the last one

Don't know how they will hold up over time in terms of performance/safety/reliability etc, but so far I am impressed with the technology Tenevolts is using....I could see this taking over a good part of the NiMH market if there are not too many problems that crop up.

Most LED Mags have a timed step down over the first hour that levels off around 75-30% depending on the light. Robin Wang has a lot of runtime graphs in his Mag reviews over at LED Resources:

http://www.led-resource.com/category/flashlight-reviews/mag-instrument/

INFRNL

Thanks. I have seen one complaint about the tenavolts. Certain products can put you in a situation since these show full voltage until the end. Some say they don't work in certain items as well. I think it's a good design. I could use it in my remote start remote as eneloops show dead before they really are dead, because the voltage starts at 1.3ish v.

I didn't see a review of this flashlight. I will check out the reviews a bit later, but thanks for the link.

xxo

Thanks. I have seen one complaint about the tenavolts. Certain products can put you in a situation since these show full voltage until the end. Some say they don't work in certain items as well. I think it's a good design. I could use it in my remote start remote as eneloops show dead before they really are dead, because the voltage starts at 1.3ish v.

I didn't see a review of this flashlight. I will check out the reviews a bit later, but thanks for the link.

Tenavolts will not work with battery fuel gages because of their constant Voltage and they need a proprietary charger (though a very simple 5V USB direct drive one) and the regular price is too high. I will get more if they put them back on sale for 4 for $12.

Unfortunately, it looks like Robin Wang has not posted new reviews on his site in some time – I would love to see his take on the ML25.

sbholliday

How do you switch modes?
Just turn off and on quickly. Printed instructions did not include that info. The online instructions from manufacturer do have the instructions. It reads "Turn flashlight on (by twisting the head) and you have Full (100%) Power Mode. Quickly turn flashlight off and on again to access Power-Conserving (15% Power) Mode."

sbholliday

How do you switch modes?
Just turn off and on quickly. Printed instructions did not include that info. The online instructions from manufacturer do have the instructions. It reads "Turn flashlight on (by twisting the head) and you have Full (100%) Power Mode. Quickly turn flashlight off and on again to access Power-Conserving (15% Power) Mode."