• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Mahi head

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen some excessive delays recently, but this one happened to arrive one day ahead of schedule for me ... :party:

Doesn't happen often, but when it does it is FedEx for me. UPS will hold a package till the scheduled day, and USPS, if it is not on time it sometimes takes a trip to Florida for vacation first

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks awesome, the only light that's made me want to get a new one in recent times.

I have to say thought that I couldn't see this replacing the iconic Haiku for me, particularly with its more svelte head being roughly the width of a 123 pak.
From reading Don's write up there's a few design notions that seem like a side step rather than improvement regarding the Haiku. I can see from the size that it has more mass but its sinking is done through the reflector sandwiched to the board which is threaded into the head while the Haiku has a reflector basically isolated from the board and head via o rings but instead has the board sandwiched directly to the meat of the head.
Both designs also sinking heat through the can and threads into the meat of the head, I'm assuming that this is where the extra mass of the Mahi comes into play.
On that note I like the versatility of the Haiku head regarding reflector choice and fine tuning with its floating design.
My lights are all running well shy of 1A so heat isn't really an issue for me, this may be different using a Hive at 1.2A, I do however notice that my Haiku with a copper DTP MCPCB does heat up a lot more than a stock board using the same driver and drive current so it may well be another way to accommodate higher current.

Just some random thoughts, anyway this really does look like an awesome new addition to the line up.
On another random note, half my family is Polynesian (Tongan) and my missus uses the word mahi for underpants. I'm into fishing and whenever I talk about Mahi Mahi (dolphin fish) she always gives a giggle. Must be a slight break in communication there between the Kiwi's.

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say thought that I couldn't see this replacing the iconic Haiku for me, particularly with its more svelte head being roughly the width of a 123 pak.
From reading Don's write up there's a few design notions that seem like a side step rather than improvement regarding the Haiku.

I would argue that you're looking at those "design notions" through your personal lens, based on your needs, and so you don't see the improvements. Others of us clearly see them, and have even already experienced them. The LE in my Haiku is at 1.4 amps and it heats up quite quickly, even through the less-than-optimal thermal path in that head. This larger Mahi head handles that heat much better, I can really tell the difference. Plus on top of that my candela increases 34%, which is probably a big deal to many who need that.

So while I agree with you that it doesn't replace the Haiku, I'd just argue it wasn't intended to. Its a different product, for different uses. Its not for everybody, but its definitely for some of us. I really like it.

Also pic, because its pretty too :)

QrNaGxN.jpg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would argue that you're looking at those "design notions" through your personal lens, based on your needs, and so you don't see the improvements. Others of us clearly see them, and have even already experienced them. The LE in my Haiku is at 1.4 amps and it heats up quite quickly, even through the less-than-optimal thermal path in that head. This larger Mahi head handles that heat much better, I can really tell the difference. Plus on top of that my candela increases 34%, which is probably a big deal to many who need that.

So while I agree with you that it doesn't replace the Haiku, I'd just argue it wasn't intended to. Its a different product, for different uses. Its not for everybody, but its definitely for some of us. I really like it.

Also pic, because its pretty too :)

I think in my ramblings that I may have been taken the wrong way.
I can see that this head wasn't intended to replace the Haiku rather than add another option, and yes I don't see it as an improvement in that regard so much as another option.
I know many using drivers of over 2.5A and even FET in these lights, I've gone as far as 1.4A also. It is worth noting that even changing from the stock board to copper makes a big difference even at sub 1A.
The bonus light out the front sounds good on another note.
My intention wasn't to crap on the new head as it doesn't suit me, quite the contrary as I like the look and idea but only commented on some thoughts I had bouncing around.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Don. I can't believe how closely my hidden needs have been met here. Email sent. Hoping you still have stock.

eala

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how heavy is this mahi?

Crazy light for its size. Honestly it feels like one of the lightest lights I own, even though I'm sure it isn't. To be specific though, my empty Mahi head (as in, without a LE) weights 65 grams.

How does the beam compare to the Haiku?

The same light engine moved from my Haiku head to my Mahi head saw an increase in candela of 34%. So its quite a bit throwier. The hotspot is slightly smaller as you'd expect. The spill isn't especially smaller, the outer angle of these two beams may be close to identical, but the spill is less intense with the Mahi - even more lumens gathered into the spot from there.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine yesterday. Excellent work, AGAIN, Don. I must admit, I was not sold on the look of the head, but the ergonomics make up for it. It feels great in use on the 123, AA and 2x123 bodies. The head can take any LED I have thrown at it and the size is exactly like the Aqua series - just right. I notice a distinct increase in throw with this reflector which suits me. Closer to the Makai than the Haiku in my opinion. I found the Makai just a bit too big for general use, but this is just right.

Again, great work Don and thanks for bring this one out.

eala

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree about the look of the head. IMO if the machined out triangles were not there this would be one snazzy looking retro head. but, if it helps in functionality then i understand.

marcspar

Enlightened
And I thought I had "enough" McGizmos both on display and in use. I really was done buying flashlights. It's been at least four or five years, but I guess I'm back! I just love the Mahi. Now I just have to decide which body.....

Stay safe Don.

Marc