New Malkoff Flashlight: MD2 (Part 2)

paintballdad

Enlightened
Gene,

You sir are going to make me broke with all the good stuff you are coming out with. My birthday has passed, tax refund already spent and Father's Day is over. And i sure won't wait for Christmas to get more of your lights. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhohhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh
you are not even close. :faint:

It will take batteries and have a low mode. :nana:

Low mode?? :duh2:

You mean I still have to wait for Gene to make his pocket-sized version of the Sun? Okay.... I can wait. :popcorn:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got to test the new ring switch with my direct drive M60 MCE. It works flawless. Low appears to be around 3-5 lumens to my eyes, high appeared to be normal. When your using the high level, and then switch to low, it takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust. Dropping from 500-600 lumens down to 5 lumens seems like almost no light at all, till my eyes adapted to the change. After my eyes adjusted, I really started to appreciate the usefullness of the low mode. The only other light I have with a low mode is my E1B. Side by side, the E1B was much brighter on low than the MD2. I am very satisfed with the new switch, workmanship is top notch as always with Malkoff products. Gene, you are a genius, guess that is where they got your name from, LOL.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got to test the new ring switch with my direct drive M60 MCE. It works flawless. Low appears to be around 3-5 lumens to my eyes, high appeared to be normal. When your using the high level, and then switch to low, it takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust. Dropping from 500-600 lumens down to 5 lumens seems like almost no light at all, till my eyes adapted to the change. After my eyes adjusted, I really started to appreciate the usefullness of the low mode. The only other light I have with a low mode is my E1B. Side by side, the E1B was much brighter on low than the MD2. I am very satisfed with the new switch, workmanship is top notch as always with Malkoff products. Gene, you are a genius, guess that is where they got your name from, LOL.

These are the actual out the front numbers on the Malkoff MC-E direct drive. What you are seeing are the 406 out the front lumens.:thumbsup:

Readings done by MrGman.
Malkoff MC-E_W_DD,________480__turn-on____________1_IMR 18650,_________SureFire 6P_No Bezel__(DD=direct drive)
Malkoff MC-E_W_DD,________457__turn-on____________1_IMR 18650,_________SureFire 6P_ Bezel AR coated Glass,
Malkoff MC-E_W_DD,________406__warm,_____________1_IMR 18650,_________SureFire 6P_ Bezel AR coated glass,

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is the cool tint version. The numbers you posted are for a warm direct drive module. :nana:

These are the actual out the front numbers on the Malkoff MC-E direct drive. What you are seeing are the 406 out the front lumens.:thumbsup:

Readings done by MrGman.
Malkoff MC-E_W_DD,________480__turn-on____________1_IMR 18650,_________SureFire 6P_No Bezel__(DD=direct drive)
Malkoff MC-E_W_DD,________457__turn-on____________1_IMR 18650,_________SureFire 6P_ Bezel AR coated Glass,
Malkoff MC-E_W_DD,________406__warm,_____________1_IMR 18650,_________SureFire 6P_ Bezel AR coated glass,

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Mine is the cool tint version. The numbers you posted are for a warm direct drive module. :nana:

Hello kyhunter1, try checking out MrGmans Lumen testing thread. Go to post #3, and scroll down, and you should find out some short runs of the non W DD mode model. Good to do some searching on your own.

Bill

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I could find in the thread was for the warm direct drive and for the cool tint regulated mods.

Hello kyhunter1, try checking out MrGmans Lumen testing thread. Go to post #3, and scroll down, and you should find out some short runs of the non W DD mode model. Good to do some searching on your own.

Bill

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok, then add about 50 more lumens. The IMR 18650 sags, but if you use a fivemega 3 C with 3 NIMH cells you will get over 500 on turn-on like the P7 direct drive did.:twothumbs

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I correct in assuming that the "low" of M60 on 1x18650 would be comparable to Gerber Infinity Ultra? (With Nichia LED)
Or perhaps some Fenix lite on low?

da.gee

Enlightened
My guess is it lower than the low on a Fenix. It's pretty low but just fine for night excursions around the house. I really like the low level.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is it lower than the low on a Fenix. It's pretty low but just fine for night excursions around the house. I really like the low level.

its going to be in the 0.5 to 2 lumen range running off the 18650 battery through the 75 ohm resistor. If that's what you want that is what you get. G

Viper715

Enlightened
I just ordered my first Malkoff today. I used the build your own light form. I bought a MD2 with a standard M60 and the Hi/Lo switch. I really can't wait to get it but I also want to buy a warm MCE and a M60F someday too.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just ordered my first Malkoff today. I used the build your own light form. I bought a MD2 with a standard M60 and the Hi/Lo switch. I really can't wait to get it but I also want to buy a warm MCE and a M60F someday too.

DO they assemble the flashlight for you or does it come in parts?

recDNA

Flashaholic

Readings done by MrGman.

But does the curve ever flatten or do the lumens continue to drop with time?

Viper715

Enlightened
Good question. I'll report back when I receive it. I just ordered it today. I guess they might assemble but who know there really isn't much to it so it wouldn't bother me any way. I left a message in the comments field when you order to see if they would look through and try and pick out a warmer tinted M60.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
DO they assemble the flashlight for you or does it come in parts?

It comes assembled ready to rock and roll, just drop in batteries.

As to the other question about lumen fall off with time as it warms up it levels off with time after its warmed up.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD4 Wildcat is now being shown on the Malkoff Devices website and there is another thread started about it. So now you guys can go see what that is about. G.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It comes assembled ready to rock and roll, just drop in batteries.

As to the other question about lumen fall off with time as it warms up it levels off with time after its warmed up.

Thanks. Any advantage of the more expensive Elzetta over the MD2?

recDNA

Flashaholic
The MD4 Wildcat is now being shown on the Malkoff Devices website and there is another thread started about it. So now you guys can go see what that is about. G.

WOW! You know that warning about being careful not to look directly at the LED to prevent eye damage? In this case I believe it. Looks like the real deal.