New Malkoff M61 LED question regarding the SST-20

tuelleric

Enlightened
Great work, dot!

Now I think I need to buy a 3000K M61 for my G2 with Z44 HA-BK that I scored from ebay yesterday. I have the same light running the M61 Hi-Cri XP-G already and love the incan like output.

Same question for me, whether to chose the normal or the L version..

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same question for me, whether to chose the normal or the L version..

I'd go for the L in a G body, 16650 or 2xCR123 and I'd want to max my runtimes as much as possible, and the output loss is minimal. I picked the max output versions because those were what I had already for M61s so I figured it would make the most sense to compare those. Especially with the boost in CRI.

If you want to get rid of that old HCRI XP-G.... let me know ;)

tuelleric

Enlightened
I think you are rigt, the L would be the better choice. For more "incan" punch I still have a M91w.
My M61 Hi-Cri is powered by a Keeppower 16650, which works very well. I do not think I will ever sell it but if, I will remember you :)

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I just received the M61WL. I put a high/low ring on it and the tricap. I bought the 22.3 head with it and installed it there. Great combination for certain things. I put it on my nightstand. Some lights are just too bright if I wake up at night and need light. That's why I tried the warm tint, easier on the eyes at night. Great runtime. I am very happy with. it.

I recently received my M61N in an MD2 with hi/lo ring. This is the best tint and CRI that I have experienced. Certainly the most pleasing to my eye and please consider that I have been a 219 snob for many years. Combined with the MD2 two speed this might be my favorite light of all time.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I can second that. I was pretty hesitant to try the SST20 high CRI, somehow my impression was that only the nichias ( 144, 219 ) would have that beautiful neutral tint, but what do you know, these SSTs have the same gorgeous tint.

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
I got my MD2 with M61NL with the SST-20 on Wednesday, it's my second light with a SST-20 in 4000K and they're both very nice in CCT and tint. Very happy with them!

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it just matches my personal preference, but the SST20 seems to have the best balance of tint and throw for my uses. I am still surprised with how well the M61WLL has been preforming and it's really been making me question the specs I thought I "needed".

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. The SST-20 is a nice combo beam out of an OP. Add a Quake 270 #3 for high vis...Perfect fit :)

img1.jpg

sgt253

Enlightened
I just received the latest M61W SST-20 from Gene and Co. Wow! I am stunned. The light coming out is really ridiculous. I mean the color temp and the cri are nothing like I have ever experienced before from an led. It's really "easy" on my eyes. Colors pop. Just right amount of brightness. Really impressive. My first "warm" drop in, most likely not my last. Once again, thank you Malkoff Devices for a really great product.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Older thread, but I was curious if someone has taken spot / host run temperatures re: this dropin, and compared it to a prior-generation M61N (XP-G2 @ 4000K) ? Or just usage impressions; if these newer ones are running hotter, that sort of thing.
Thx & Best regards,

Edit: temperature, i.e. Celcius/Fahrenheit

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have not measured the kelvin vs my XPG N's but did notice it does appear a tad bit warmer from the SST but.... mine is a 4LN and the XP-G2 a M61NL.

I like the throw of the SST much better. The 4LN is supposed to be 25 or so lumens but that SST beam appears about as bright as the 6 volt bulb the Brinkmann Maxfire it's in was. I'm thinking it's the throw that causes it to appear so bright.