New Mini MKIII's for 2021

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small batch of "low power" mini's went up on the site so I ordered one. I actually prefer the lower outputs. The output and runtimes given on the page don't make much sense though as Med is 1/3 the power but only 50% more runtime, so that implies a lot less effeciency than the original spec. I'm hoping Jason was just really conservative in the numbers of the "low power" spec.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small batch of "low power" mini's went up on the site so I ordered one. I actually prefer the lower outputs. The output and runtimes given on the page don't make much sense though as Med is 1/3 the power but only 50% more runtime, so that implies a lot less effeciency than the original spec. I'm hoping Jason was just really conservative in the numbers of the "low power" spec.

When I first received mine, I got 2 hours on high mode when I tested it, but cut the test short as at the time I was too tired to wait. On medium I got a confirmed 22 hours with no perceivable output drop, but it went out around 22.5 hours.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 hrs on high and 22 hrs on Med makes more sense. Is this with the stock rechargeable? Is going out at 22.5 hrs when the protection circuit on the battery kicks in? Is there any warning the light is going to cut out? (Dimming, flickering , etc..)
What is the performance like on a primary CR123?

Here are the specs from the website:
Current Batch:
  • Low (Moonlight): 0.8 lumens, 130 hrs
  • Medium: 15 lumens, 12 hrs
  • High 150 lumens 90 min
  • Max/Burst 550 lumens, 60 min (30 seconds burst, then steps down to high)
Future Batch (original specification):
  • Low (Moonlight): 1.5 lumen, 90 hrs
  • Medium: 45 lumens, 9 hrs
  • High 350 lumens 60 min
  • Max/Burst 800 lumens, 50 min (30 seconds burst, then steps down to high)

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 hrs on high and 22 hrs on Med makes more sense. Is this with the stock rechargeable? Is going out at 22.5 hrs when the protection circuit on the battery kicks in? Is there any warning the light is going to cut out? (Dimming, flickering , etc..)
What is the performance like on a primary CR123?

Here are the specs from the website:
Current Batch:
  • Low (Moonlight): 0.8 lumens, 130 hrs
  • Medium: 15 lumens, 12 hrs
  • High 150 lumens 90 min
  • Max/Burst 550 lumens, 60 min (30 seconds burst, then steps down to high)
Future Batch (original specification):
  • Low (Moonlight): 1.5 lumen, 90 hrs
  • Medium: 45 lumens, 9 hrs
  • High 350 lumens 60 min
  • Max/Burst 800 lumens, 50 min (30 seconds burst, then steps down to high)

That was with the stock rechargeable. I unfortunately left the light at 22 hours and when I came back a half hour later, it was completely out. I don't have any means of measuring voltage currently, so I don't know what the voltage was. I also don't have any CR123 cells to test.

I'm not keeping my light as is, I'm waiting for them to let me know when I can send it in so they can make it perform as originally advertised.

bluemantra

Newly Enlightened
I just got a mini mkiii turbo and I've noticed a red ring around the edge of the beam. Anyone notice this as well?

bluemantra

Newly Enlightened
Pictures?
zufJraJh.jpg

NBKx4Zqh.jpg

EEzyzgTh.jpg

BVH

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Anyone managed to unscrew the 6 pt circular nut from the tail end to remove the magnet? Really wish it was not there.

Chauncey Gardiner

Flashaholic
Anyone managed to unscrew the 6 pt circular nut from the tail end to remove the magnet? Really wish it was not there.

Yes, I got mine out with a tweezers so I could replace it with the brass flush cap accessory.

The Dark Sucks/Foursevens website instructs to use small tweezers to remove the nut. I was somewhat disappointed to learn a tool isn't included with the replacement caps offered on their site.

BVH

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
yes, they're about .040" or 1 mm. Haven't tried the tweezers thing yet.

EDIT: A pair of manicure scissors with sharp points worked great.

Last edited: