**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

dparr

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a EA4 from BJ. Looks like the perfect flashlight for me. Hopefully it will ship tommorow.

I will be using it to look for high hidden passages and to shine down those huge trunk passages in the Tennessee caves that I explore.

A fun and outrageously bright little flashlight. Looks like Nitecore has a real winner.
I'll report back after I take it on a good caving trip.

All the best.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question for the EA4 experts here. I was rereading the User Manual again (Both Pages!) and noticed something I had overlooked before. In the little table above the ANSI chart where they display which battery combinations are allowed/recommended I noticed that regular Alkaline AAs and NiMH AAs are recommended, but Lithium AAs or only allowed. I would have thought that since lithiums have a higher energy density and no leakage problems, they would have been in the recommeded category as well. Anyone have any ideas?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question for the EA4 experts here. I was rereading the User Manual again (Both Pages!) and noticed something I had overlooked before. In the little table above the ANSI chart where they display which battery combinations are allowed/recommended I noticed that regular Alkaline AAs and NiMH AAs are recommended, but Lithium AAs or only allowed. I would have thought that since lithiums have a higher energy density and no leakage problems, they would have been in the recommeded category as well. Anyone have any ideas?

You know, the reason why they said lithium AA's only allowed is probably because (after testing the Energizer lithuim i have here) the voltage is almost 1.8 volts. It probably pushes the light to its max voltage limits. Unless you plan to keep the light for years in storage, might as well get good LSD (low self-discharge) rechargeable batteries like the Sanyo Eneloops. These batteries arrive pre-charged and ready to go and can last several years... mine have been pushing over 8 years now. :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, since the Chinese translated the manual from chinese to english, what they probably meant to say is that only Lithium AA (meaning batteries like the Energizer Lithium) and not the 14500 Lithiums that are waaay much higher in voltage which will definitely kill the light as that would be a total of 16.8 volts going through its circuits... (burned flashlight, anyone? pipebomb perhaps? hehehe)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, since the Chinese translated the manual from chinese to english, what they probably meant to say is that only Lithium AA (meaning batteries like the Energizer Lithium) and not the 14500 Lithiums that are waaay much higher in voltage which will definitely kill the light as that would be a total of 16.8 volts going through its circuits... (burned flashlight, anyone? pipebomb perhaps? hehehe)

I wonder what the max input voltage is for this light? I have some NIZN rechargeables I was going to try in one of mine. They can be 1.7v-1.8v off the charger. They are rated at 1.6v as their normal voltage. I have used them in other lights and they work fine.

grepeyre

Newly Enlightened
I wonder what the max input voltage is for this light? I have some NIZN rechargeables I was going to try in one of mine. They can be 1.7v-1.8v off the charger. They are rated at 1.6v as their normal voltage. I have used them in other lights and they work fine.

I bought some new alkaline batteries and fresh out of the packet they showed a voltage of 6.4v. That's 1.6v on each battery, so 1.7v should be fine. Probably...

By the way, the torch is great. I'm now appreciating a good spill, I didn't know a handheld device could light up so much ;) but the thing is not all AA batteries will give the 860lm output. I've used a few types of available and not "over priced" non-rechargeable batteries and none (even alkaline) have gotten that turbo mode going as it should. The High mode works fine though for a while. And with the blue light really flashing... can't wait for the eneloops to arrive.

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
Having use the EA4 this past week I definitely havent missed a lower lumen mode. Just before I found out about this light I bought a Fenix E50. I use it in its reduced size with one rechargeable battery. Those that estimated that the NW EA4 was about 780 Lumens is pretty accurate as the E50 NW is rated at 780 Lumens and both lights have almost identical brightness and sized hot spot. The E50 has a lower lumen mode but I find for general round the yard use I always bump it up one step to 74l. The E50 has a big gap however between high and turbo 236 to 780 so with the EA4 starting at 65 its able to offer more evenly spaced gaps to its turbo mode. The fact that both lights cost the same money and the EA4 having many more features it really is great value for money. The 65l low is fine.

For those wanting a diffuser Fenix have announced a new one that fits their E50 http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=135 it has a 40mm head diameter exactly the same as the EA4 so this diffuser would be good for those that cant wait till Nitecore comes out with theirs.

Last edited:

kotarak

Newly Enlightened
I think i came up with a pretty good idea. i made a nice and quick diffuser by cutting a ping-pong ball and creating a small dome shaped diffuser that fits inside the bezzel. cutting can be a bit tricky but if you cut it just right it will snap inside and hold firmly. i found that ping-pong balls can be used to make diffusers for variety of lights. Different brands balls have different plastic thickness and tint but it works just fine.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

sbbsga

Enlightened
I think i came up with a pretty good idea. i made a nice and quick diffuser by cutting a ping-pong ball and creating a small dome shaped diffuser that fits inside the bezzel. cutting can be a bit tricky but if you cut it just right it will snap inside and hold firmly. i found that ping-pong balls can be used to make diffusers for variety of lights. Different brands balls have different plastic thickness and tint but it works just fine.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome idea, thank you. But if you want a crushproof diffuser, you could find it here. http://www.intl-outdoor.com/white-soft-silicone-flashlight-large-diffuser-p-300.html. I have been using this on my PA40W and Predator V2.0 before EA4's arrival.

There is also another shop selling it at a lower price but it was posted in one of many EA4 threads in this forum. 30 cents cheaper if I remember correctly.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
The ea4 and skyray king are my fav. lights of 2012
True story, those are the two last lights I have purchased thus far...although the ea4 is quite a bit more practical when running for extended periods. by the way, i think nitecore has answered some people's requests for a lower low, albeit in a similar form factor to the cobra

Verndog

Enlightened
I like the button on the EC25 more.

I like them both. They could not get away with the camera type button the EC25 has on the EA4 because it would protrude too far. They can get away with it on the EC25 because of the milled cutout that protect it from accidental on, plus the EC25 has 1/4 turn lockout.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
The EA4 is one of the best lights of the year...:twothumbs

I agree also. At first I found the switching a bit fiddly, but now I've had it for a week or so I'm liking everything about this light. The big seller for me (apart from 860lm) is the use of AA batteries. I take pics of all my new stuff.

nItEcOre011.jpg

nItEcOrelong.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
That's cool seeing the 'W' on the EA4W...I got an early neutral white and it just says "EA4" on it. I guess they're just trying to confuse the hell out of me.