**NEW** Nitecore EC25

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
After 3 minutes you can reactivate it easily. 60lm low is bigger issue IMO.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
like the fenix pd32ue, if you activate continuously for that hour or so, fenix says the LED life may die early and all that being used like this.
what do you think on that ?.

thanks.
After 3 minutes you can reactivate it easily. 60lm low is bigger issue IMO.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
like the fenix pd32ue, if you activate continuously for that hour or so, fenix says the LED life may die early and all that being used like this.
what do you think on that ?.

thanks.

I understand Burst mode is not intended to be used more than short time because of the limited heatsinking of the light. Or with other words: burst mode is over powered related to the size of the light. I am still satisified and would be even without the burst mode! 400 lm is great as well!

Last edited:

PCS

Newly Enlightened
I bought a heavily discounted cool white Nitecore TM11 a few weeks ago. That was tons of fun. Then I bought a cool white EA4 and liked it so much, I considered getting the neutral. Instead I pulled the trigger this morning on the neutral version of the EC25.

Funny. I've never owned a Nitecore before the recent Tiny Monster purchase, but on Monday I should have three.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
What a great little light. What a really crappy clip.
Seriously, attaching a lanyard to a clip-on-style clip that is "easy to remove".

Agreed, I would really like to have had a simple lanyard hole. I am really interested in this light because it matches my TM15 in user interface and battery platform. I would like to replace my SF Fury with this. Going to have to come up with a different lanyard attachment thought, Maybe SF lanyard ring under tailcap, maybe a cable tie in the machined slot.

Verndog

Enlightened
I bought a heavily discounted cool white Nitecore TM11 a few weeks ago. That was tons of fun. Then I bought a cool white EA4 and liked it so much, I considered getting the neutral. Instead I pulled the trigger this morning on the neutral version of the EC25.

Funny. I've never owned a Nitecore before the recent Tiny Monster purchase, but on Monday I should have three.

Sweet....just ordered the same light in NW also! I agree they could have done better on low, but its nothing a diffuser cap cant fix and I rarely need below 50L, and if I do I have an EDC that has it anyway. I find I need around 60-80L mode GP for indoors, and 120-200L GP outdoors with a high burst on occasion. This light hits my needs spot on...better then my EagleTac D25 LC2 that goes from 50L to 400 then turbo which has proven totally impractical for something basic like a power outage / campsite light.

Let us know how you like your new NW version when it arrives!

Last edited:

Verndog

Enlightened
Anyone wanting lower low, this diffuser should really help...only 1 left....snooze you lose.

Saw the same one on fleabay for $19.00 :shakehead

http://goinggear.com/nitecore-ndf34-diffuser-34mm.html

nitecore_ndf34.jpg

Verndog

Enlightened
Re: **NEW** NiteCore EC25 (XM-L U2, 860 lumen)

Nitecore EC25 XMLU2 18650 5" 1.3" 128mm 34mm 12000.lux 860.lumen
vs
Eagletac TX25C XMLU2 18650 4.7" 1.25" 120mm 31mm 14000.lux 850.lumen

No comparison in real world use IMO. I'm just going away from EagleTac that has terrible mode spacing....50L or 400L then turbo. Ya the new one they added 200 somethin in tacticool mode the requires a 2 handed head twist and stroll thru strobe mode. No thanks. I need quick 50-300L modes for general use with some run time....Nitecore wins.

Last edited:

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened

I got my EC25 today. Man this thing is small and very bright for its size.

Verndog

Enlightened

Sweet, congrats! How useful is the spill in Low (120L) and Mid (285L)??

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

No comparison in real world use IMO. I'm just going away from EagleTac that has terrible mode spacing....50L or 400L then turbo. Ya the new one they added 200 somethin in tacticool mode the requires a 2 handed head twist and stroll thru strobe mode. No thanks. I need quick 50-300L modes for general use with some run time....Nitecore wins.

My all around preference for any EDC light would be 5/100/Max lumens. Although I understand there probably needs to be a 50% and 75% in there for most other users. I don't actually ever end up using the 50% or 75% at all.

The Eagletac TX25C2 has two modes which are 7/388/850 and strobe/172/850. I agree it would be better if it was 7/172/388/850 in straight order. I would have preferred 7/172/850. The G25C2 has 7/75/389/850 which is great, but that light is too big for me.

The Nitecore EC25 has 60/120/285/540/850, which sadly lacks a low setting for an EDC light. I would have preferred 6/120/850.

To be sure, they are both very similar and are releasing at the same time, so hence all the comparisons are justified.

Edit: With further pontification, I suppose it can be argued that the TX25 can indeed have a 7/188/850 with the appropriate twisting, while the EC25 can never have a low mode.

The caveat being the appropriate twisting: "To switch between tactical and regular mode, turn on the flashlight at 1st level, dial to 2nd level and then back to 1st level for five times within five seconds."

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got my EC25 today. Man this thing is small and very bright for its size.

Please post some pics with it sitting in your hand and holding it in you hand.

Last edited:

Verndog

Enlightened

:.... With further pontification, I suppose it can be argued that the TX25 can indeed have a 7/188/850 with the appropriate twisting, while the EC25 can never have a low mode.

The caveat being the appropriate twisting: "To switch between tactical and regular mode, turn on the flashlight at 1st level, dial to 2nd level and then back to 1st level for five times within five seconds."

The head twist is a secondary problem to the mixed in strobe mode that is part of the cycle IMO. I really hate accidental strobe and forcing it into cycle in "tacticool mode" is not an option for me, I won't use it so it's wasted where they put it. Nitecore actually hid strobe mode and it's 2 full quick presses to access, so never an accidental strobe.

Also, my optimum lumens for GP outdoors is 200-300L range with decent 4hour ++ runtime. Especially if I'm on a wooded trail with 4 legged critters about, I want some look ahead without constant mode switching. My 1 acre partially wooded lot I find 150-200L is fine for GP but want a quick 500-800L on occasion also. It's taken me a while and quite a few $$ to figure this out, and also depending on beam and throw those #'s can change some...but as you can see, this line from Nitecore nailed my needs.

Another thing to remember is products like Fenix TK22 are very similar that have a low mode and possibly Nitrecore is trying to capture some of those that didn't like their spacing. They can't all be the same and expect to sell, and when someone builds the perfect light, then how are they going to sell all their other lights? :D

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened

My EC25 neutral came in today. Just got back from a nice evening walk. Sorry, no pics from the walk. By way of comparison I also brought the Nitecore cool white MT26 and my Jetbeam PA40 neutral. The comparison somewhat favors the neutral lights since our central PA air has this constant.... stuff in it. It can been seen in the light and effects the beam at distance. Here is what I observed.

With all lights on Turbo and at 75+ yards, The 800 lumen MT26 and the 468 lumen PA40 gave equal target identification. One test at about 125 yards, the PA40 was better on trees. It's neutral emitter and larger reflector speak well of this light (and it's ability to use AA alkaline's even on turbo). I would rate the EC25 as 20-25% better at distance. Certainly not more but certainly quite and achievement for this very small light. Every time I dropped power from Turbo to Hi, it looked a little dimmer of course but made no difference in target identification... at least in this limited test. Nitecore really did their homework on this light.

The power switch controls everything. It's not too difficult to learn and has a logic about it. I love a light switch that stays lit when using the light. Even with heavy gloves on (winter here), the switch can be seen and then felt. It blinks when off and not locked out. Turning my S10 at night with gloves on is a real hassle. The EC25 is not. The only real problem was when getting back to the driveway I managed to accidentally lock the light out and could not remember the sequence to turn the light back on. Standing in my driveway like an idiot who can't figure out how to turn a flashlight on :devil: is something I don't want to repeat... since I never meant to lock it out anyway. Have to work on that.

It was really just a turbo test and I am most impressed. The Jetbeam PA40 is proving itself better and better as well.

Couple hours later just sitting in front of the tube... I turned the light on turbo and left it on for 10 minutes in 68 deg f. It went out of turbo in 3 minutes and was just warm at that point. At the end of ten minutes (7 min on high) the light was still just warm. Not at all hot. The I turned it to "mid" or 285 lumens and let it run for 10 minutes. It was nice a cool when done.

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some comparison shots between the Nitecore EC25 and the Eagletac TX25C2.

8348376404_3305458035_z.jpg

I'm not surprised somebody compared these two lights as soon as they hand them both in hand.

8347317393_3feba08e5f.jpg

TX25 on the left, EC25 on the right. They're twins!

I believe he makes these videos for his storefront.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q9g_sOWHfNw#!

Last edited: