New Olight i5R

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
Just saw the new Olight i5R announced on Instagram. It comes with a new "14500" and gives 350 lumen on high, just 50 lumen more than i5T :unsure:
After some research, a Chinese website have a review and I found something interesting.
The rechargeable battery is a customized 2.4V 1420mah li-ion "14500" battery. I guess it has a constant voltage output circuit like the keeppower 1.5V li-ion AA battery. And from the review, the i5R is not compatible with 3.7V 14500...but it will support nimh, alkaline and lithium primary.

Original review: https://post.smzdm.com/p/a6d9vpqg/

614ae3d80a9ad2159.jpg_e1080.jpg

3_gun

Enlightened
I will not buy a flashlight that has a non replaceable or proprietary battery. Why did they feel this was a good idea? Thoughts

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
I will not buy a flashlight that has a non replaceable or proprietary battery. Why did they feel this was a good idea? Thoughts
I agree, new and proprietary battery is hard to accept. But the i5R still supports 1.5v primaries and nimh, just don't know the output and runtime. I am running Keeppower 1.5V li-ion battery in my i5T and love it.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if these new batteries are compatible with the regular I5? I like that they use the "C" type plug. These might make great lights for gifting come Christmas. I have an i5R coming in the mail...

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way better run times with the R series. The initial turn on with the "R" lasts 10 minutes vs 3 minutes for the old model. Then a HUGE gain for the "R" after the drop...150 lumen for 170 minutes vs 150 for only 25 minutes...

Almost double the run time on low (15 lumen)...37 H vs 20 H...

LEVEL 1
300~150~30 lumens
Run time LEVEL 1
3+25+122 mins
LEVEL 2
15 lumens
Run time LEVEL 2
20 h

High
350~150 lumens
Run time High
10+170 minutes
Low
15 lumens
37 h

Reactions: :)>

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll pass. New lights and proprietary batteries don't mix. You take a new light and it becomes obsolete as soon as they stop making the battery for that specific light. In the meantime, it's limited for use to one cell or as many expensive backup cells you're willing to spend money on before you spot something better and cheaper to replace it with.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine. I like it. Does not look any brighter than the i5T visually. And looks about the same-ish on Eneloop (1.2 volt) and alkaline (1.5 volt). The simple "c" charging means I can plug the batt into any of the cell phone chargers around the house and in the cars. While perhaps not the best lights for flashaholics, I think they are a good choice for gifting given their flexibility and simplicity. And for people like me who tend to display their better lights in a glass display case, where they sit unused for the most part...and actually use simple lights that I don't care if they get all scratched up or lost. Winner from my viewpoint.

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
I have a i5T & I like it; might have upgraded to a 14500 version but not this abomination. Still didn't see any good reason for using a standard size with a non standard charge level in the review. They do it just to F --- with us? Why if you're going to update a light don't you stay with the "norm" unless you have a really good reason/need. I'll stick with my Fenix LD10, LD12 & E12v2 lights.

They have me thinking about getting rid of my i5T just so no one sees me with it & thinks about buying an Olight.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I have one one of these on the way. The proprietary battery to me is just an extra you get. The i5r is compatible with 1.2v rechargables and 1.5v alkaline just like the i5T was! You can throw the battery away from day one if you want.

I normally hate proprietary batteries, but couple them with onboard charging and a pretty great runtime with the ability to use standard batteries and I don't see the negatives! This is a cheap light I can recommend to friends who don't want to buy a charger and learn about battery chemistries etc.

A friend has always been impressed with Zebralights and finally talked me into getting him setup with a headlamp, 2 18650's, and a charger. He had to buy from 2 different places, learn about the batteries, then was shocked to find out you can't put 2xCR123 in the light like the Surefire he had as a cop. With a light like this you either use the included battery with a phone charger or use an eneloop/alkaline. It's very simple.

superpila

Newly Enlightened
The proprietary battery is a showstopper for me, and with eneloops or primaries this light's performance is sub-par.
Not sure what they are thinking at Olight's

weez82

Enlightened
I honestly don't think I'll be buying anymore Olights for myself. Unless they come out with a high cri version of the Baton s1r or s2r. But for gifting to friends or family that need simple easy to understand lights and batteries. This is actually looking like a really good gift light.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I've had mine for a couple days now: I love this thing!

Tint is great (very neutral)

The battery is really cool and matched perfectly to this light. Great brightness levels and amazing runtimes. A better combination than any of my AA (1.5V) or 14500 (4.2V) lights.

I have a few small Olights already and always love the simple 2-mode interface. I never find myself wanting more or less.