New P60 Cree R2 drop-in from DX for 6P.

bspofford

Enlightened
Got mine this afternoon. It's very bright with 2X16340, but the tint on mine is on the cool side of white.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
With 2x RCR123A, it pulls in about 600mA. It is brighter than my RC-F4 which is being run with 17670. It has bigger and brighter hotspot but it is running on two Lithiums vs F4 on one Lithium. Mine went in UltraFire 501B light which was originally incandescent. The incandescent will burn my hand if I bring the beam closer to my palm; it pulled in 1300mA. Given that it is difficult to do back to back comparison, my guessitmate is that the R2 drop-in is about the same brightness as the original incandescent but at only half the current.

Mine has slightly warmer tint. I tried with 3x RCR123A. Birghtness does NOT change but input current drops substantially. It is true constant current to emitter type circuit and not an inefficient LDO type regulator. My sample is not as tightly focused as it could have been, so I don't think this is going to be a great thrower.

- Vikas

Last edited:

phantom

Newly Enlightened
Got mine this afternoon. It's very bright with 2X16340, but the tint on mine is on the cool side of white.

Hi bspofford,

Since you got your DX R2 drop-in, how bright is it compared to other Cree LED lights or drop-ins that you have?

Do you think that the output of this R2 drop-in is really over 200 lumens as described in DX webpage?

I will appreciate it very much if you can tell us more about the brightness and runtime of this R2 drop-in using 2xRCR123(8.4V).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
The full output probably is about 200 lumens but certainly no where near 300 range. With 2x RCR123A (about 8.2V) the battery current was 0.6A, approxmiately 5.0W of input. Assuming worst case efficiency of 65%, 3.2W is being delivered to the LED. Under those assumptions, the LED current is under 1A. But if the efficiency is higher, then the current could be higher.

- Vikas

bspofford

Enlightened
I didn't have much time last night but did some side-by-side comparisons with other P60 modules. I acutally have several of each module but only tested one of each. My subjective impression is that the one-mode R2 (3-18V) from DX has a similar brightness to one-mode Q5 (3-18V) from DX, and both are similar to the slightly warmer 0-100% "3-mode" Q5 module on high. Mev at LightReviews measured this multimode module on high to be as bright as a Fenix T1 on high. Both the one-mode DX modules are cooler and noticeably brighter than the Solarforce R2 run on 2X16340. The Solarforce R2 has similar brightness when run on 3X16340 (12.6V) and remains warmer. Both the DX modules have similar brightness to my DereeLight 3SD on high. I also received some TrustFire T1 lights in this shipment from DX, and the light now comes with the same one-mode Q5 sold separately. I took the R2 with its P60-size OP reflector outside and was surprised that it throws quite well. I plan to do some more objective testing, but I am certain that this is a GREAT VALUE. It seems to be an even greater value at KD where the price is about $3 less. Put this in a $17 RC-M4 at a total cost of $30 and WOW!!!

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I didn't have much time last night but did some side-by-side comparisons with other P60 modules. I acutally have several of each module but only tested one of each. My subjective impression is that the one-mode R2 (3-18V) from DX has a similar brightness to one-mode Q5 (3-18V) from DX, and both are similar to the slightly warmer 0-100% "3-mode" Q5 module on high. Mev at LightReviews measured this multimode module on high to be as bright as a Fenix T1 on high. Both the one-mode DX modules are cooler and noticeably brighter than the Solarforce R2 run on 2X16340. The Solarforce R2 has similar brightness when run on 3X16340 (12.6V) and remains warmer. Both the DX modules have similar brightness to my DereeLight 3SD on high. I also received some TrustFire T1 lights in this shipment from DX, and the light now comes with the same one-mode Q5 sold separately. I took the R2 with its P60-size OP reflector outside and was surprised that it throws quite well. I plan to do some more objective testing, but I am certain that this is a GREAT VALUE. It seems to be an even greater value at KD where the price is about $3 less. Put this in a $17 RC-M4 at a total cost of $30 and WOW!!!

Does the DX R2 drop in run very warm?... compared to your other modules? That (for me) was the biggest shocker with the DX6090... it heats up my entire 6P from bezel to tail cap.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
The question is:-

Can you notice the difference between original RC-M4 and RC-M4 with the R2 drop-in if the comparison were NOT done side by side?

- Vikas

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Does the DX R2 drop in run very warm?... compared to your other modules? That (for me) was the biggest shocker with the DX6090... it heats up my entire 6P from bezel to tail cap.

Does DX6090 have LDO type of regulator? If so, that will explain why it gets so hot.

- Vikas

bspofford

Enlightened
In the RC-M4, it gets a little warm after ten minutes. I didn't run it longer, but I didn't get a sense that it was getting hot. As far as brightness, it is significantly brighter than the module that comes with the RC-M4. Don't hesitate, spend $12.59 at KD and get one ASAP!

dmz

Enlightened
Why such a big lumen spread?

Are there CREE R2 beam shots?

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
Both DX and KD are just reporting the manufacturer's data. I think the output of both the one-mode Q5 and one-mode R2 is 225lm or more. They are very similar to the 0-100% multimode Q5 at DX, and the output on high is about the same as a Fenix T1. They're all great values!