New PayPal spoof/phishing

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one I haven't seen.

I got an email saying that I had sent payment via PP to phonedepot.usa for a new pink RAZR.

It appears to be a legit PP email statement, except that I hadn't ordered anything!!

At the bottom is a "If you dispute this charge" statement.

If you click on it, it brings up a PP sign in log. I signed in using a completely fictitious name and address, it let me through to the next screen, which is an information form, requesting all of the info to correct the error!!

But... they want everything, PP password, credit card numbers, expiration, bank account number if debit card, ccv number, Social Security number, address, etc.

Watch out!!!

Here's the most interesting part, you CANNOT cut and paste any of their forms or emails, it won't let you do it. You can forward it, though. I've contacted PP, and hope they will respond with an address to allow me to forward to them.

Bill

Glass

Newly Enlightened
I got it as well.

May the flees of a thousand camels infest their noses.
I hope they are attacked by a hundred rabid ferrets with a taste for blood.
I hope they have a horrible accident with a blender.
I hope they are mistakenly given a hydrochloric acid enema.
I hope they get attacked by a bear, in their shower.
I hope they go bunjee jumping... with a steel cable.

May they rot in hell.

Patrick

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the same email too.
I open another window and log in my paypal and see nothing.
lucky me.

Glass

Newly Enlightened
Info on these scumbags

A little digging around and a couple "pings" and here is what I found:

The email came from "us-paypal.com" which is hosted by "bnmq.com" which is registered to an outfit in Texas. Here is the information provided by the registrar.

Domain ID:D104921938-LROR
Domain Name:pRIVACYPROTECT.ORG
Created On:23-Sep-2004 11:55:58 UTC
Last Updated On:24-Aug-2005 19:25:35 UTC
Expiration Date:23-Sep-2006 11:55:58 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Direct Information PVT Ltd. (R27-LROR)
Registrant ID:DI_1082673
Registrant Name:Domain Manager
Registrant Organization:privacy Protect, Inc
Registrant Street1:14781 Memorial Dr. Suite # 792
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Houston
Registrant State/Province:Texas
Registrant Postal Code:77079
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+01.8326151680
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:[email protected]

I sent them a nastygram with a yahoo account so they can't spam me again. I told them that if they are aware of what is going on, I hope they end up in prison.

Patrick

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
again, you're safe if you aare just able to make the leap that ANY and EVERY email that contains a "click here to do something that requires logging in" link is a phishing attempt. I got one from my "bank" yesterday, and 2 more this morning where if you view the raw non-html source of the message the last word in the link is actually "retard" :D I guess they KNOW that you will just login and not look at it.

So, lets repeat.

EVERY email you get that has a link to login is an attemp to steal your information. Every one. No exception. none, not one, not never.

just dont do it.

if you need to add or change or update something to your account go to your browsers and type "www.paypal.com" and login from there. never ever ever click a link in an email to do it.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you click on it, it brings up a PP sign in log. I signed in using a completely fictitious name and address, it let me through to the next screen, which is an information form, requesting all of the info to correct the error!!

Thanks for the heads up. Just a suggestion, but you might want to check your computer. Just by clicking on some of those you can end getting something you really didn't want.

lexina

Enlightened
I received the email twice, yesterday and today. It is cleverly done and plays on your fear of someone having stolen your ID/password and your attempt to protect yourself by disputing it actually exposes you to the real fraud! I have already forwarded it to [email protected]. Bravo25 is right too - it's best not to click on any link, even if it is just for curiousity sake.

Last edited:

rugbymatt

Enlightened
I got a similar e-mail a while ago and did the same thing, i put in complete giberish. When I was done my screen filled up with a giant thank you. I'm real glad I called paypal to see if they sent the e-mail,which they said they didn't.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I love getting these at work, especially the ones from the guy in africa that needs my help with ONE MILLION DOLLARS, I always reply with obscene info, lol, all kidding aside, I have gotten this three days in a row and have just ignored it, goes right to the spam folder, James_S is right, NEVER reply to a link in an email, if you have a question log into your account and look at the history, very easy to do with PayPal and you can see if there was a transaction, but do not use links in email.

Sorry for the rant but I felt this was important enough to be reitterated

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i fill these things in with bogus info.
pollutes the database and makes it harder to find the real suckers.
no worries about malware as i dont know of any easy way to compromise a linux box without my active participation.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bill for starting this thread. I got a couple of the PayPal phish, and had not the slightest worry because I remembered what was said here.

Paul

Empath

Flashaholic
Anyone hosting or providing a means of operation, from the IP on, can go to prison once they are made aware of it and continue to act as a accessory. Of course in Texas they could probably be shot, just because they needed killin'.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Radio said:
I love getting these at work, especially the ones from the guy in africa that needs my help with ONE MILLION DOLLARS, I always reply with obscene info, lol, all kidding aside, I have gotten this three days in a row and have just ignored it, goes right to the spam folder, James_S is right, NEVER reply to a link in an email, if you have a question log into your account and look at the history, very easy to do with PayPal and you can see if there was a transaction, but do not use links in email.

Sorry for the rant but I felt this was important enough to be reitterated

http://www.419eater.com

I'm not condoning that one should engage these scammers at all (the extent of my 'engagement' is the delete key, although I'm working to automate this with junk filters), but the letters column is sure good for a laugh.