New Petzl NAO !

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I think it's a great concept, always thought that, and way more useful for a headlamp than for a flashlight.
Wether the implementation is good we will see when there are some reviews.

What it needs in my opinion:

A way to adjust the output level in auto mode (like others said already), maybe three or four logarithmic "visually linear" stages selected with a turning knob or similar.

Potential biggest issue is obviously when a bright light is pointed towards you the headlamp will dim down when you need high output instead 1. to see something while you are being blinded and 2. to signal you are here to the oncoming car or whatever it is.

If they are really smart the could make give the sensor the ability to differenciate between own reflected light and light from other sources but I don't expect that.
This is how I would do it: have the headlamp send out a high-frequency signal to "mark" the emitted light as "own". Don't dim down if the light coming to the sensor doesn't have the signal.

woodentsick

Enlightened
*SNIP*

If they are really smart the could make give the sensor the ability to differenciate between own reflected light and light from other sources but I don't expect that.
This is how I would do it: have the headlamp send out a high-frequency signal to "mark" the emitted light as "own". Don't dim down if the light coming to the sensor doesn't have the signal.

Wouldn't that mean that in full daylight, the headlamp would be at high output? In most cases, a high amount of ambient light means you'd want to power down your headlamp. Obviously, there are exceptions to this...

Cheers
Woodentsick

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Wouldn't that mean that in full daylight, the headlamp would be at high output? In most cases, a high amount of ambient light means you'd want to power down your headlamp. Obviously, there are exceptions to this...

Cheers
Woodentsick
Not necessarily. Ideally it would be made in a way that it simply ignores all light from other sources while still detecting and regulating its own output so it would still try to keep the lux number of "headlamp light" that comes back to your eyes constant. I don't know if that'd really work, of course.

And if you need it in bright sunlight there's still manual.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe it will be ideal when climbing between snow/dirt/rocks and it will adjust the light better
as you transition between different reflective surfaces [than by hand] ?

Light sensors in the photography world have been around decades longer and prove that dumb machines are not able to properly adjust for these nuances. At best this light will be able to adjust to an "average" scene, which is typically equivalent to an 18% photo gray card. That means it will dim light on snow until it looks 18% gray, and brighten light on a volcanic beach, until it looks 18% gray (at least try to, that is).

Max runtime also looks to be only 8 hrs on auto-adjust, and 20 hrs manual..... not a very good for camping light IMHO.

This thing would drive me crazy on auto-adjust, but then again, anything from Petzl and Black Diamond already does.:broke:

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened
I had an evening to try out the Nao. Unfortunately no time to take pictures, but i did take it on a night trek.

First some facts:

-The light is comfortable to wear and ti's easy to adjust size.
-It uses single 18650 battery pack with a 3 pin plug (so i guess it monitors temperature)
-The cable that can be detached from battery box and has 4 pins.
-The battery box also has a USB plug that doesn't need cable unless the plug on computer is too recessed.
-The light will be programmable the same way as Tikka Core is. Current software (OS 2.0) doesn't recognize it. PC recognized it as Petzl NAO battery charger (if memory serves me right)
-It has a twist switch with mode (reactive/manual) memory and locked position. Short twist and the light fades on. Long twist changes the mode from reactive to manual and vice versa. By default manual mode has two brightness levels. When switched off the light fades out.
-I didn't notice any PWM and I believe it is current regulated as it seemed greener on lower levels.

And then some impressions:

As skeptical as I was about light changing intensity by it self I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. It makes the light truly hands free. You want to see what's there? Just look in that direction and the light will shine as much as it can or needs to. No need to let go of the rope to adjust it. It also conserves your night vision by quickly dimming when an object gets close to it (checking time on wrist watch, changing the tilt of lamp...)
This type of behavior takes a little time to get used to. Objects that are getting closer will be equally bright so walking up to a marking on a wall won't make it any brighter. Also in cold conditions condensed exhaled air will dim it, but I believe it's better to dim the light than blind the user.

I think Nao is a good trekking light and will spoil many of us. However I'm still waiting for IPx8 grade caving light and hoping that Petzl hasn't forgot about us.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully they let the user select a single mode and brightness... I wouldn't want to blind everyone 50 meters around when I walk around camp and I wouldn't want to always run on a setting that's too high either.

I like the concept, I HATE that such a lamp that will likely sell for 300$+ is only IPX-4 rated. Are these outdoors "specialized" headlamp companies populated by couch potatoes or something???

server

Newly Enlightened
IMO this headlamp provides a solution to a problem that does not exist. At least I've never wanted/needed a "smart" headlamp that would choose outputs for me.

dougie

Enlightened
I agree with garbman that the NAO is definitely at a disadvantage by only being rated IPX4. If it's not submersible, even for a few minutes, it's no use to me.... sigh!

peglegrook

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone found a decent review for this headlamp yet?

I'm a trail runner, and the promised features of this headlamp would be a godsend!

peglegrook

Newly Enlightened