new purchase Panasonic 6 * 18650 2900 mah batteries, are they faulty

warek

Good morning

I have just bought these batteries from Hk Equipment on Ebay. I am concerned about the quality of these batteries. I am using them to power some LED torches and I have used 3 different torches, one is a Electrolumens single 18650 with xpg led, another is a Tiablo A9 single 18650 with Q5 led and the last is a Solarfroce with 2 *18650 with P7 led. On each of these torches they will work well for a while then developed a quick flashing mode and then stop.

They charge up to 4.14 volts and have a voltage of 3.6 before charging

The Tiablo A9 with Q5 led 18650 battery voltage is 3.99 volts and it is now flashing. If this is a low voltage signal the battery is nowhere near flat

They are cutting out far sooner than my previous batteries which are AW 18650 * 2600 mah

As I have 6 of the new batteries I have not had time to experiment to see if every battery is displaying the same pattern.

Kevin

Last edited:

VidPro

well they sound USELESS for your purposes :) what more do you need?
higher capacity within the SAME size batteries of the same type and technology are often not as high of output (capacity for speed tradeoffs).
they sink down in voltage during high loads faster, but that ? that sounds like it is tanking WAY to fast under a load.

if they are nothing but china clone BS , then that will show quick enough if you have any sort of testing charger.
plus with a testing charger , like even a cheap hobby charger (from the same china:) you could test some different loads to see how it is acting.

if it is knockoffs , then they are also more likely to be helped out by running a few discharge charge cycles. so use them to (within spec) ends a few times, and see if they become usable. to do that run them down on a Low setting, or via a slower light item, but not below specs.

i dont know what else to say, because it it doesnt WORK in your equiptment, then they have no value to you at all. and if it doesnt work "out of the box" then it isnt going to be great ever anyways. it never is.

after you run them through some cycles and test more of them, be sure to tell us more of what you find.

Last edited:

germanium

These batteries may have developed a resistive layer on the cathode from sitting too long & as a result not all of thier capacity is usable. My suggestion would be to go down to Radio Shack & buy a couple of 8 ohm 20 watt resistors & use that to discharge the battery a few times down to 2.0 volts loaded & recharge back to 4.1-4.2 volts. First with just one resistor then after a couple of disharges use 2 of these resistors in parallel. This would provide about 1 amp initial discharge rate when used in parallel. You will probably see an increase in usable capacity after a few such discharges as it will breakup the resistive layer on the cathode. Your flashlight may not be able to accomplish this on it's own as it would stop the discharge long before the battery is actually discharged due to high resistance of the battery. These resistors will get quite warm so be carefull.

Last edited:

hazna

These batteries may have developed a resistive layer on the cathode from sitting too long & as a result not all of thier capacity is usable. My suggestion would be to go down to Radio Shack & buy a couple of 8 ohm 20 watt resistors & use that to discharge the battery a few times down to 2.0 volts loaded & recharge back to 4.1-4.2 volts. First with just one resistor then after a couple of disharges use 2 of these resistors in parallel. This would provide about 1 amp initial discharge rate when used in parallel. You will probably see an increase in usable capacity after a few such discharges as it will breakup the resistive layer on the cathode. Your flashlight may not be able to accomplish this on it's own as it would stop the discharge long before the battery is actually discharged due to high resistance of the battery. These resistors will get quite warm so be carefull.

I thought it was not good to discharge li-ions so deeply?

VidPro

then keep within spec, and dont leave it DOWN. check out the specs for the battery, and just follow thier low , that is safest.

warek

Battery case says made in Japan, NCR1650 Li ion Mh12210 and they look like Panasonic batteries. I am charging them with a Pila 2* 18650 charger

warek
well they sound USELESS for your purposes :) what more do you need?
higher capacity within the SAME size batteries of the same type and technology are often not as high of output (capacity for speed tradeoffs).
they sink down in voltage during high loads faster, but that ? that sounds like it is tanking WAY to fast under a load.

if they are nothing but china clone BS , then that will show quick enough if you have any sort of testing charger.
plus with a testing charger , like even a cheap hobby charger (from the same china:) you could test some different loads to see how it is acting.

if it is knockoffs , then they are also more likely to be helped out by running a few discharge charge cycles. so use them to (within spec) ends a few times, and see if they become usable. to do that run them down on a Low setting, or via a slower light item, but not below specs.

i dont know what else to say, because it it doesnt WORK in your equiptment, then they have no value to you at all. and if it doesnt work "out of the box" then it isnt going to be great ever anyways. it never is.

after you run them through some cycles and test more of them, be sure to tell us more of what you find.

mvyrmnd

I have a few of the same cells (Grey wrapper, black text?) and they've been fine. They easily outlast my Samsung 2600mAh cells. I'd bet germanium's right.