New Ra Lights products (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well wouldn't just having it stay on where you leave it be simpler and use LESS code? Besides the version I'm looking it has 120 - 42 - 15 - .3 so it would drop SIGNIFICANTLY from 120.....

KDOG3,

Burst mode drops to the next lowest availible brightness not the next lowest brightness that you have set. So if maximum output is 120, for example, burst always drops to 85lm regardless of any other settings you have set.

I've stated this before, but the difference in perceived brightness between 120 and 85 is very small. It sounds like a lot, but it's not.

Yes, just removing burst functionality would be less code. The problem is, there are a great deal of Henry's customers that like the burst mode. So, the only way to satisfy everyone with the same codebase, would be to add an option in the options menu.

Once again, burst mode sounds weird, but it's really a good thing.

sappyg

Enlightened
Quick! Everyone switch to blue type now!:

the switch is on

zenas,
Eloquently stated. :thumbsup: If we agree that Henry's decision to give us a light with a one hour minimum of runtime at high was a correct one and to our benefit, then we must accept that any burst level given to us on top of that is a gift!

I think that our beef should be with the emitter manufacturers and not Henry, on this point. ;)

Jeff

:dedhorse: quick.... everyone run for your lives....... there is a madman loose in here with a one track mind and a stick! oh the humanity:eeksign:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I guess I'm still gonna use my E1B then. It seems to have no problem running at 100+ lumens (around 120 per one test) for at least an hour....

Are we comparing apples to apples here? If I understand correctly the E1B has a throw beam with little spill.

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
I'm a bit confused here. If I set any one of the levels to 140 it will automatically be considered "burst" and step down after 10 seconds ? If I set a level at level 22, it will stay there until battery output can't handle it anymore ?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit confused here. If I set any one of the levels to 140 it will automatically be considered "burst" and step down after 10 seconds ? If I set a level at level 22, it will stay there until battery output can't handle it anymore ?

You are not confused.

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. And BTW, I've had my Clicky Tactical "GT" on order for a couple weeks now. I carry my 140CGT daily :D

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Are we comparing apples to apples here? If I understand correctly the E1B has a throw beam with little spill.

What does the pattern of light have to do with the output/runtime? Take the optic from the E1B and the reflector away from the Ra and the output will still be the same but the runtimes can still be compared.

How about the PD20 (reflector) that runs @ 180 lumens for 1 hr?

I continue to read these Ra threads with amusement at the people that defend these Ra lights.

I guess car manufacturers should regulate high speeds or RPMs in a "burst" sense so that we the consumer do not run out of gas too soon.

What has happened to responsibility these days?

luxlover

Banned
the switch is on

:dedhorse: quick.... everyone run for your lives....... there is a madman loose in here with a one track mind and a stick! oh the humanity:eeksign:
That's right.....HE'S BAAAAACK! I'm a lover not a fighter, but my solid hickory Louisville slugger is with me all of the time, ready to hit a grand slam upside somebody's head! :crackup:

Jeff

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I guess car manufacturers should regulate high speeds or RPMs in a "burst" sense so that we the consumer do not run out of gas too soon.
Err... that's exactly what happens. The manufacturer's figures for cars are a maximum rating, not a continuous one, so perhaps not the best analogy there.

My car is rated at 200bhp at 7000rpm but in normal use, you'd be doing much less than that - occasionally using a burst of extra power for overtaking or something. I wonder how long the car would last if I drove it at 7000rpm all the time ?

And any bets on how long I'd keep my licence if I drove everywhere at the quoted top speed ? :eek:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does the pattern of light have to do with the output/runtime? Take the optic from the E1B and the reflector away from the Ra and the output will still be the same but the runtimes can still be compared.

Those are Cree based lights aren't they? The Cree emitters are more efficient, but do not produce a nice beam pattern with a short reflector. Cree LEDs make for decent throwers, but not so great for an EDC light, in my opinion anyway.

The type of beam pattern people feel to be most useful is subjective, so I can understand if you prefer one over another. So, by all means purchase and use whatever it is that you like the best.

I continue to read these Ra threads with amusement at the people that defend these Ra lights.

:sigh: Once again, if all you care about is the largest number of lumens OTF, maybe you are not ready for a Ra.

What has happened to responsibility these days?

Egads, you are making more of it than it is. Why is it soooo important to have absolute possible maximum output for more than 10 seconds? Please, present me with a scenario where this would be a negative as opposed to a positive.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand a 9 lumen low for 35 hrs v Ra clicky 0.3 lumen for errr! days,so you can see even the PD20 is not all that good on run times,each one gives different choices and it is your choice which one you buy! you don't have to buy a Ra :thumbsup:

[edit]what I meant was if you compare low for low.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Egads, you are making more of it than it is. Why is it soooo important to have absolute possible maximum output for more than 10 seconds? Please, present me with a scenario where this would be a negative as opposed to a positive.

The point is that no matter what situation some one is in, we may not want the light output to change on its own, cuz we may not have our thumb right on the button to bring it back up.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY, REALLY like the lights. I STILL may get one. I love the idea of being able to use RCRs' with it, and I REALLY like and support the idea of buying a US made product. I hope I haven't come across as crabby or anything. I was just hoping there was a way to keep the output on high. I wonder if he can use the programming to add a "continuous repeat" code to high setting. Its hard to convey tone and intent on the intarweb. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

luxlover

Banned
Err... that's exactly what happens. The manufacturer's figures for cars are a maximum rating, not a continuous one, so perhaps not the best analogy there.

My car is rated at 200bhp at 7000rpm but in normal use, you'd be doing much less than that - occasionally using a burst of extra power for overtaking or something. I wonder how long the car would last if I drove it at 7000rpm all the time?

And any bets on how long I'd keep my license if I drove everywhere at the quoted top speed? :eek:
Is anybody aware that the USA has gone downhill so fast in one year because all those who are in control of wealth, our wealth, were allowed to do as they wish? Do you realize that the human species is not capable of making rational decisions all of the time, and must be monitored and controlled in some way for the good of us all? This is how I feel about Henry's decision to cap the sustained levels as he has. It's a good thing. None of us would ever use the high level if we had uncontrolled access to burst. You know that I am right! I don't mind being watched in order to protect ME.....from ME. That includes Henry, and the US government! We need more oversight from Henry, our governments and our loved ones.....especially our loved ones!

Jeff

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anybody aware that the USA has gone downhill so fast in one year because all those who are in control of wealth, our wealth, were allowed to do as they wish? Do you realize that the human species is not capable of making rational decisions all of the time, and must be monitored and controlled in some way for the good of us all? This is how I feel about Henry's decision to cap the sustained levels as he has. It's a good thing. None of us would ever use the high level if we had uncontrolled access to burst. You know that I am right! I don't mind being watched in order to protect ME.....from ME. That includes Henry, and the US government! We need more oversight from Henry, our governments and our loved ones.....especially our loved ones!

Jeff

I certainly hope you are joking....:mad::shakehead

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeff

WOAH! :eek:

You are joking right!?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that there is some confusion here regarding output. My Ra lights are not in any way less bright than my Surefire U2A or Fenix P2D on Turbo.

They are also incredibly efficient compared to other light that I have used.

I don't believe that anyone will be disatisfied with the brightness of the Ra Lights. The Surefire E1B is not brighter than the Ra Lights either; it does have a better throwing beam due to the optic and it is, an excellent light.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
The point is that no matter what situation some one is in, we may not want the light output to change on its own, cuz we may not have our thumb right on the button to bring it back up.

It isn't a huge jump, it's not extreme by any means.

It wouldn't matter what situation you're in. When the light comes down to Level 22 from 23, (or 21 from 22) it's just one step - one visually detectable step only. It's not a disturbing drop, it does not leave you scrambling to turn your light back on, and you don't necessarily need to have your thumb ready to activate burst again. Also, don't think of it as 'changing on its own'. It's not. If you program your light to use Level 22, it will never change. It's your choice to activate Level 23 which is designed to only last for 10 seconds. The light is only doing exactly what is asked of it.

I know that Burst sounds like BURST, but it's not. It's more like 'the next level up for 10 seconds'. Each level is spaced exactly the same. It's not that much brighter. Therefore when it drops, it's not that much dimmer.

Originally Posted by luxlover
Do you realize that the human species is not capable of making rational decisions all of the time, and must be monitored and controlled in some way for the good of us all?
Jeff

It may seem that our friend el Jeffe has lost it here, but mind you he hasn't. Basically we are being monitored and controlled for the good of us all. Think stop signs, stop lights, hidden cameras in ATMs, ID check for cigarettes and liquor, and so on. A much as it seems like we have no privacy, and we can't do anything we want all the time, these things are instituted for the greater good of all.

Our Ra flashlight is designed to offer inefficiency in exchange for a 10 second duration. At least Henry programmed in these levels at all. He could have simply designed a permanently 100lm and 85lm light, and we would have had no choice in the matter at all.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought the Burst ought only be activated during simple momentary from on. So you get burst from any level by holding down the button for as long as you hold down the button. (or until thermal protection kicked in)

Its hard to hold the button down for more than a minute although I'm sure somebody would build a rig to do a runtime test this way.

I rarely latch Max on with my HDS EDC. I use the lower levels and just hold for bursts of max, rarely lasting more than 10 sec. I think the Ra will work out fine for me as is but it would be nice to go up to 20sec or longer if I was willing to hold the button down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.