HDS New Ra Lights products (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxlover

Banned
Re: New Ra Lights products (4th Bean)

Cave Dave,
I will answer both of your posts, #113 & #114
tomorrow. They are very good ones, and deserve my attention.

Jeff

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cave Dave,
I will answer both of your posts, #113 & 114, tonight. They are very good ones, and deserve my attention.

Jeff
The second post wasn't meant to single you out (you just gave me an opportunity :p), I'm sure your wording was a typo. It was just to remind everybody that Test results may not indicate what there own personal light may do. This is especially true of Henry lights and runtimes because of the way they are designed.

as always,
YMMV

(I still wanna see more tests though):poke:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

i'm happy with the ones i have. are those 170's so rare that they have to be sold on a lottery?

A 170cn still costs about $145 more shipped than you can get a RA EDC model and I would say that is not worth it.

I figure that $145 will only get you about a years worth of bragging rights before better emitters come along and you will want to upgrade the emitter with the latest one.

Hypocrisy alert: Yes I have a 170cn, but I also got a $375/mo after tax raise this year. I'm using that and my bonus to fully fund a Roth IRA and what I had left over was enough to buy a 170cn. So if you find yourself in a similar situation and want a Ra170, I say GO FOR IT!
:hitit:

Everett

Newly Enlightened

I'm confused. Was the contest today at 1700 mountain time or did I misread it?

sappyg

Enlightened

(I still wanna see more tests though):poke:
me too..... i'm diggin' these run tests.... i want to try one too but w/o a way to document correct results i can not decide on a valid and repeatable method.

I figure that $145 will only get you about a years worth of bragging rights before better emitters come along and you will want to upgrade the emitter with the latest one.:hitit:
good point.... the only way i could be pursuaded to "upgrade" the emitters that i already have is beam quality. if i could get the warmth of the EDC T OSRAM emitter in the EDC E SSC beam profile :hitit:
i get a kick out of that jumpy banana thing

Last edited:

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened

I'm confused. Was the contest today at 1700 mountain time or did I misread it?
It was between 0500 and 0530 MST.
Next one is Sunday.
I'll try to do a direct comparison between the Ra Clicky Tactical (140) and (170) when I receive it. Gotta say this is the first EDC I've bought that I feel completely comfortable putting my faith in. I've been running with a Gladius Night Ops for almost three years, and bought dozens for EDCs, but nothing throws out enough light in the Strobe to compete with the Gladius. On paper they all put out much more lights, so it must be down to reflector shape and size. The Ra Clicky is the first to perform as well as my Gladius. I put some of that down to the narrower beam which has less light spill (important with a small diameter reflector). Also the weight of the Ra Clicky is reassuringly heavy in the hand. No need to worry if it got dropped, or came into contact with someone during a struggle. Lastly, the clip. I don't see what all the fuss is about. I find it comfortable in the hand (my hands aren't large). I tend to grip the light accross my palm and wrap my fingers over, with the clip running under my fingers between second and thier finger joint. Button under the thumb. There is a slight digging in of the edge of the clip along the fingers, but it is even across your whole hand and not focussed as it would be with a smaller clip, and the clip is perfect for Molle used, and secure on everything I've attached it to so far. Being matt black helps tremendously, mind. All I can say is I'm glad to retire my Gladius Night Ops for a smaller form factor with equal or better performance.

luxlover

Banned

I'll try to do a direct comparison between the Ra Clicky Tactical (140) and (170) when I receive it. Gotta say this is the first EDC I've bought that I feel completely comfortable putting my faith in. I've been running with a Gladius Night Ops for almost three years, and bought dozens for EDCs, but nothing throws out enough light in the Strobe to compete with the Gladius. On paper they all put out much more lights, so it must be down to reflector shape and size. The Ra Clicky is the first to perform as well as my Gladius. I put some of that down to the narrower beam which has less light spill (important with a small diameter reflector). Also the weight of the Ra Clicky is reassuringly heavy in the hand. No need to worry if it got dropped, or came into contact with someone during a struggle. All I can say is I'm glad to retire my Gladius Night Ops for a smaller form factor with equal or better performance.
HERE HE IS! Congratulations to you! Very few EDC a Gladius because of it's size, but it is definitely a light with a lot of throw and little spill. They should have chosen a better reflector by now, to balance out things. The Gladius is surely an innovative light in every way, just too big! It doesn't work well at any voltage under 4.5v, and will blink every 15 sec. when the cell voltage drops that low. I am with you, on choosing Ra lights over the Gladius.

Looking at the Clicky doesn't elicit any feelings of greatness, but using it does. Henry has packed a lot of goodness in 3.5 ounces. Good luck with both Clickys.

Jeff

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened

I like the throw, and the percieved amount of light in the strobe. That's what I like about the Gladius, and why I went for the Ra Clicky Tactical with its narrower beam. If I want an even spread of light, I'm fine with a Zebralight H30 which I also like a lot (I have 2, one has a distinct click to the button which really annoys me. My other is cirtually silent in the click). At the time I bought the Gladius it was at the top of its game. They just never evolved it after that, and the lock out was always annoying. Too easy to lock it out on and find your batteries drained. ATM I use the unscrew method of locking out my Ra Clicky Tactical (140). I'm hoping the flush button on my Ra Clicky Tactical (170) will allow me to EDC without needing to lock out.

luxlover

Banned

ATM, I use the "unscrew" method of locking out my Ra Clicky Tactical (140). I'm hoping the flush button on my Ra Clicky Tactical (170) will allow me to EDC without needing to lock out.
I wouldn't depend on a flush button being any less prone to accidental turn-on than the raised button. I have had many Henry lights, before the raised button came out, and I found my thigh experiencing the "warm leg syndrome" every once in a while, since I stow a light in my right hip pocket.

Since it is so easy to manually engage the button lock on the new Clickys, I use the triple click method of locking the button before stowing. For the record, there is no harm in using your "unscrew" method. Lux sez "use either method to button lock your light before stowing." :grin2:

Jeff

clipse

Enlightened

Wow, I've been away from CPF for too long. I didn't even know there was a Ra Clicky. I get paid in a week. Guess where some of my money is going? :D Pics will definitely follow. :)

sappyg

Enlightened

Wow, I've been away from CPF for too long. I didn't even know there was a Ra Clicky. I get paid in a week. Guess where some of my money is going? :D Pics will definitely follow. :)

which one are you going for?... the EDC E or T?

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened

As soon as one of the dealers gets some more stock, I am joining the cult of clickie.

Soon a 120 Exec E will be my new EDC!

:devil:

Ralls

Newly Enlightened

As soon as one of the dealers gets some more stock, I am joining the cult of clickie.

Soon a 120 Exec E will be my new EDC!

:devil:

Have you tried sending an email to Battery Station? I emailed them on Monday and they had several EDC T's in stock. Mine should be here tomorrow! :twothumbs I did not inquire about EDC E's, though.

callmaster

Enlightened

I see alot of interest in the EDCs. No one interested in the other versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.