New Ra Lights products (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Ra Lights products (4th Bean)

I see alot of interest in the EDCs. No one interested in the other versions?

Probably a result of the economic downturn--I personally can't justify an extra $50 for 20 more lumens.

luxlover

Banned

Wow, I've been away from CPF for too long. I didn't even know there was a Ra Clicky. I get paid in a week. Guess where some of my money is going? :D Pics will definitely follow. :)
Welcome back to the Wonderful World of Clickys. Your choices are greater now than at any other time since Henry released lights. Choose well!

Which one are you going for?... the EDC-E or T?
Hey sappy, "no high pressure sales tactics, now!" Maybe he wants to spend all of his money on a Clicky Executive or Tactical instead? :crackup: We know that he is overwhelmed by the choices before him. Choices are good in life. But decisions are not always easy to make.

callmaster

Enlightened

I'm thinking of a Clicky Tactical but I think the 2 I have right now on me 24/7 is enough for the time being till I get pants with more pockets.

But 2 is the absolute minimum because you never know when you'll drop one out your apartment window :)

Since I carry a laptop all over, I should be able to stuff 2-3 bigger lights in the laptop bag. I just need to get me 2-3 bigger lights now.

Btw, the button on my 170Cn is still sticking out slightly. I thought it was suppose to flatten out after 2-3 days after battery replacement. It ain't goin down. There's a raised little bump on it. HELP! It's pretty annoying.

Bucky

Enlightened

Does anyone else see the writing on the wall that the 170cn may be a regular production model sooner than we think?

My speculation comes from the fact that the 170cn was added to the new instruction manual for the Clicky that just was updated 3/3/09. I really doubt that you'd update your instruction manual to include a reference to a version that only a handful of people out there possess unless there were plans in the near future to make that version more widely available.

Bucky

Ralls

Newly Enlightened

I don't know how many of you are aware of this already, but wvaltakis2 (aka Chip) is making some ti clips for the Clickys similar to the ones that he made for the HDS EDC series. Here's the link to the info thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/223395

sappyg

Enlightened

I see alot of interest in the EDCs. No one interested in the other versions?

Probably a result of the economic downturn--I personally can't justify an extra $50 for 20 more lumens.

i think people are interested in the other versions and there has been a lot of discussion about them. the new Ra Lights have get all the buzz b/c more people can now afford a Ra and can also have a choice of UI not previously availble.

Your choices are greater now than at any other time since Henry released lights. Choose well!

Hey sappy, "no high pressure sales tactics, now!" Maybe he wants to spend all of his money on a Clicky Executive or Tactical instead? :crackup: We know that he is overwhelmed by the choices before him. Choices are good in life. But decisions are not always easy to make.

LOL... no pressure at all. the fact that the EDC E and T are so different leaves a weighty decision for anyone to consider. it really comes down to intended use and personal preference. for me, the EDC T wins the edc role (during the day), but for general use around the house and at night the E model's nice SSC beam wins out and the only time i touch the T is only to confirm yet again why this is the case.
i have to confess that if faced with having only one i can not choose one over the other.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Btw, the button on my 170Cn is still sticking out slightly. I thought it was suppose to flatten out after 2-3 days after battery replacement. It ain't goin down. There's a raised little bump on it. HELP! It's pretty annoying.

What works for me is when I change the battery I twist on the head till it just doesn't quite touch the oring, then I let it sit like that for a 1/2 hour or more. The I twist it on the rest of the way. It's not perfect flush but it will tailstand without wobble no prob. If I am anal and in a real hurry I use the vacumm bag technique.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2835739#post2835739

Does anyone else see the writing on the wall that the 170cn may be a regular production model sooner than we think?

My speculation comes from the fact that the 170cn was added to the new instruction manual for the Clicky that just was updated 3/3/09.

Bucky

The 170 has been in all the instruction manuals if I recall. It was always intended to be a regular production item as long as supply can meet demand. The profit on this model is very high at no more production cost, so it behooves Henry to make as many as possible. But he is an honest man and won't make claims about output that a given light can't actually reach, and so far few of his stock of LED's can reach the 170 potential. (I'm guessing its no more than about 1 out of 20 based on CPF sample data)

callmaster

Enlightened

What works for me is when I change the battery I twist on the head till it just doesn't quite touch the oring, then I let it sit like that for a 1/2 hour or more. The I twist it on the rest of the way. It's not perfect flush but it will tailstand without wobble no prob. If I am anal and in a real hurry I use the vacumm bag technique.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2835739#post2835739

I'll try that and see if it helps.

The 170 has been in all the instruction manuals if I recall. It was always intended to be a regular production item as long as supply can meet demand. The profit on this model is very high at no more production cost, so it behooves Henry to make as many as possible. But he is an honest man and won't make claims about output that a given light can't actually reach, and so far few of his stock of LED's can reach the 170 potential. (I'm guessing its no more than about 1 out of 20 based on CPF sample data)

True. Henry once told me that it is usually less overhead to control the flow via the contest than to have people constantly asking for the 170Cn.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've found this technique works best: simply screw the tail on until you see it start to bulge up (if it bulges when it's off then that's another problem) and then back it off until it flattens. Then keep firm thumb pressure on it as you twist it down half a turn at a time. You can take your thumb off when you stop twisting although I usually just grab another hold on the body and keep pressure on the switch until it's all the way down. Last couple tries with this technique has left a completely flat rubber switch cover that sits well below the rim of the indented tail. Zero wobble.

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened

My speculation comes from the fact that the 170cn was added to the new instruction manual for the Clicky that just was updated 3/3/09.
Mine says 'Updated March 4, 2009'.

I've found this technique works best: simply screw the tail on until you see it start to bulge up (if it bulges when it's off then that's another problem) and then back it off until it flattens. Then keep firm thumb pressure on it as you twist it down half a turn at a time. You can take your thumb off when you stop twisting although I usually just grab another hold on the body and keep pressure on the switch until it's all the way down. Last couple tries with this technique has left a completely flat rubber switch cover that sits well below the rim of the indented tail. Zero wobble.
Anyone know if the new series of Ra Clickys have anp problems with the flush tailclip?
Anyone got a pic of this issue?

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine says 'Updated March 4, 2009'.

Anyone know if the new series of Ra Clickys have any problems with the flush tailclip?
Anyone got a pic of this issue?

Define problem?
Mine wobbles a bit right after changing the battery, but if I wait a day or use one of the above techniques I have no problem. If your Ra button doesn't bulge some when twisting down the battery compartment I would be worried about its waterproofness. It means air is leaking out somewhere.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone know if the new series of Ra Clickys have anp problems with the flush tailclip?

My Clicky Executive has a slight wobble when it tailstands. It's not too bad and the switch action is great so I haven't tried to eliminate the bulge in the rubber cover.

streetmaster

Enlightened

My "battery-change-switch-boot-bulge" goes away within a couple hours, does that mean my water resistance is compromised somewhere??:huh:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Decrenelated Ra Bezels now in stock and ready to ship!

fiveplusone.jpg

More info here...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224525

tsl

Enlightened

Can anyone comment on real-life durability of the ECD-T black bezel coating versus the Clicky T bezel coating (AlTiN)? I'm more interested in scratch resistance, etc.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can anyone comment on real-life durability of the ECD-T black bezel coating versus the Clicky T bezel coating (AlTiN)? I'm more interested in scratch resistance, etc.

The more expensive coating on the Premium Tactical model is much more scratch resistant than the black oxide coating on the EDC Tactical model.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

My "battery-change-switch-boot-bulge" goes away within a couple hours, does that mean my water resistance is compromised somewhere??:huh:

If it takes a couple hours probably not. Compare it with the flatness of the boot when the battery compartment is completely removed from the light.

streetmaster

Enlightened

If it takes a couple hours probably not. Compare it with the flatness of the boot when the battery compartment is completely removed from the light.

When the battery tube/switch is removed it's nice and flat. It bulges when put back on, but it goes flat after maybe 2 or 3 hours. It just seems to go down much faster than all the other people that say theirs takes a couple days. Am I worried about nothing?:shrug:

callmaster

Enlightened

I threw the 140Cgt into a bucket of water. Left it there for a couple of minutes. Seems to be fine. I was wondering because I never noticed a bulge at all before. But after I tried unscrewing it and after that I saw a slight bulge (after the water incident).

But I guess it just flattens out alot faster than the 170Cn (which has flattened out a little btw, still a tiny bulge there but pressing it down while twisting it close works a little).

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened

The tail cap button on my Ra Clicky Tactical often does not register a click. I can press the button two of three times before the light will realise I have clicked the button, and at other times the flashlight registers a double click when the tail button has only been pressed once.

Anyone experience similar issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.