New Review Night-Ops Gladius

Cones

Enlightened
Hi,

I was very lucky to be included in a passround of this Night-Ops Gladius Prototype. Very impressive it is too.

So please find the the review on my website here :- Cones Stuff

GM6I4542%20(Medium).JPG

Have Fun.

Mark

Edit 16/April/2005 now on a new website host!

Kiu

Enlightened
Very nice review!!~~~~
Thanks for providing this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Today I have a chance to play this thing in a local store.
The brightness scrolling feature controlled by tailcap is just an execellent design.

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
Great review.

I can't wait to get my light, and the more good reviews i read, the more i antisipate it!! lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came today. A black one for work and a "sniper grey" for home.

I hope to take some pics in the next few days, and update my little review.

--dan

Cones

Enlightened
Thanks for the nice comments!

My production model turned up today. So I will add to the review later tonight (GMT +1)

Thanks

Mark

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I've got one as well and I think most of the reviews I've read are balanced and fair. The production Gladius's ceramic coating is more matt than most people have anticipated. However, for the tactical arena this is obviously very desirable and will be appreciated by those who are potentially in harms way. The plastic tailcap (which some folks were concerned about as a possible weakspot) appears solid and well made. I wonder though if it was tested in very cold environments as this might induce more brittleness which could be a problem if dropped when in the cold? (Ken correct me if I'm wrong)

The much discussed intelligent switching is just that,inteligent! It is well thought out, easy to use and very, very intuitve. Only a moron would have problems using it as is and for those who wish to change it, the switch is easily customised to suit the user.

The beam is flawless (well on mine at least) and projects a clean hotspot with no artifacts and a a smooth corona. The throw is good and the much publicised strobe works well on the test subjects. (Family and friends so far!)

The plastic box used for packaging is a great idea and will serve well as a carry case or for safe storage. (who'd want to store this baby?)

The only observations I have and they are not criticisms are that the tailcap is slightly difficult to replace easily and the lanyard cord is attached to the Gladius with a thinner piece of nylon cord (aka like a digital camera strap). This possibly represents a potential weakspot for carrying in active use but this is a subjective comment. The tailcap I'm already assured is easily fitted when you master the technique of lining up the notches in the tail and body assembly. (perhaps I missed that bit?)

Personally If I were Surefire I would be very worried. For a new product this light appears to be hitting all the objectives set for it and perhaps exceeding most by a large margin. I believe that the responsiveness to user suggestions shown by Ken Good and the rest of the Blackhawk team envolved with bringing this product to market sets a good example of how things ought to be done by other manufacturers and will allow more and perhaps better products in the future. In the immediate future product developement and refinement to the existing Gladius design will be watched by me with keen interest. User experiences will soon begin to filter through and no doubt successes and failures of any aspect of the design will be notified to this board quite quickly?

I for one would like to congratulate Ken and his team for this great achievement and express my admiration for the perseverence shown it getting the Gladius to market.

Now the fun really begins!

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cones

Enlightened
Sorry to all about the site being down!

I have (or rather You have! LOL ) exceeded my bandwidth.

I am now looking for a more robust host.

Thanks for understanding.

Mark

Cones

Enlightened
My website is now fixed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Plus I have updated my review with the PILA test results and more photos of the production model and prototype together along with the excellent packaging.

GM6I4630%20(Medium).JPG

Thanks

Mark

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I like that PILA cells will work in it.

I'm waiting on mine at the wholesale price from a ditributor ( they will be last to receive them) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif