new ShadeSlayer-7, 1280 lumens & 13,600 lux!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
c batteries are of no use to be if the head isn't any smaller.
is that just me?

No, in that size, I would had prefered Ds also, but what can you do.

It still looks sweet(allthough way out of my budget). But any idea about the runtime?

Gladius01

Enlightened
This flashlight ShadeSlayer-7 (Seoul Semiconductor P4 LEDs) only used 3 C cells, I just wonder how long before it step down and how long the overall run time. Does this flashlight over heat after 10 minutes run? Interesting flashlight but need someone to comment on it who have this flashlight.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is pretty much a custom by request light from what I gather. So it is unlikely that you'll find anyone who has this light. That said iirc the light is DD so I doubt it will step down. Just get dimmer as voltage drops.
I've been thinking about getting this light for a couple weeks but finding those funds around the holidays can be difficult.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, in that size, I would had prefered Ds also, but what can you do.

It still looks sweet(allthough way out of my budget). But any idea about the runtime?

Wayne mentioned in an email that he was going to make a 3D version also.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn' realize there was a thread here on CPF about the ShadeSlayer-7. I'll try and answer some of your questions.

jasonsmaglites said that c cells are of no use with a head this big. I suppose that's a matter of personal preference. But if you're going to use seven SSC P4 LEDs, well, there has to be room for them. I don't see how a smaller head can be used for so many LEDs. I chose the small 17mm relfectors, and scrunched the head to a reasonably small size. Consider, it is approximately 1,280 lumens, and I measure a solid 13,000+ lux, and sometimes up to 15,000 lux at 1 meter. That's a fairly bright flashlight, and especially considering it's dimensions:

Length: 8 Inches
Head diameter: 2 3/8 "
Body diameter: 1 1/4"
Weight (without battery): 14.4 oz.

Lobo commented on D size batteries:

I can make this with D cells, no problem. It seems to me a D cell flashlight with a twisty on/off switch might not be a preferred settup. I can use a clicky switch up front, but that changes the design considerably, and makes it a lot bigger (longer.) Of course it can be done, and I may do it for myself, anyway, for longer run time.

Gladius01 mentions step down in brightness. I will do a run time brightness test to show it's brightness run time curve. But for the most part, NIMH batteries have a very good constant output, not purely flat, but not bad. It remains over 10,000 lux for over an hour, but, I'll confirm that. I use 6,000mAh C cells myself, and it seems to go for about 1.5 hours before I feel it needs a charge. I have sold a few of these. I'm not pushing hard to sell a lot of them, as they take a lot of time for me to make, and I have limited time.

Alkalines will work, but, will be less bright, and, gradual drop in brightness would be typical to this type of battery.

Basically, I wanted to make a flashlight about the same brightness as the Stunner-P4, but in a much smaller package. That is what this flashlight is. It is simple, no switch to go bad, no electronics to fail or go bad or to waste power on regulation. Fairly flat discharge rate, that is fairly flat brightness curve.

Yes, it is expensive, but there are some LED flashlights out there in this category of brightness that cost more, and some a lot more, and if you look at small HID lights, they have their weaknesses compared to LED lights.

Wayne

nfoboy

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I picked up one of these from Wayne in time for Christmas. Although I have no experience whatsoever with actual light output measurement, and this is really my first "tactical" flashlight, I will say "Wow!"

Taking it out of the package, this flashlight evokes "solidness." It is a finely crafted piece of equipment, and appears to me to be up for some heavy duty usage. If it were a 4 D cell flashlight, I would say you could give up your baton (if you carry one).

The only drawback is the twisty on/off tail cap switch. When you tighten all the way, (and the darkness is being repelled away by its blinding output) it appears very sealed, and water resistant. Not that I plan on going swimming with it, but when I have the cap backed off so that I'm not draining the batteries, I "feel" as if it's not sealed. No big deal in my house, but if I need to go outside and it's raining, I'll "feel" like it might be getting water inside it until I tighten the cap all the way. Over to Wayne if that's actually the case, because I won't be testing it on purpose!

The light output is absolutely incredible, I feel like I'm carrying a HID headlight from a car around with me, as I am able to clearly light up buildings, animals, the forest, people walking to the train, or anything else that happens to be within any unreasonable distance.

Actually now, I'm quite spoiled with its output, and blame Wayne for now looking at flashlight output in a whole new "light." (very bad I know)
The difference between this "torch" and my inexpenisve 7 LED flashlights (3 AAA cell) I picked up at Costco is so vast, it's not even worth mentioning a comparison, except to say that I can at least guide myself in a darkened room with the old ones, whereas with the ShadeSlayer, I can tell how the Racoons are doing over in their layer 150' across the way. (and I'm actually not kidding about that)

Wayne, thanks for a great light!

Ross