New Solarforce Y2 focusing flashlight

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
Oh for the love of...:mad: I just recently decided that I had all the lights I needed for the time being. Then you had to go and post this! Needless to say, I just ordered one. :sigh::laughing:

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
Stuff usually takes two or three weeks to reach me from Solarforce in HK, so if you're still undecided at that time, I'll post some pics and try to answer any questions if I can. :thumbsup:

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Stuff usually takes two or three weeks to reach me from Solarforce in HK, so if you're still undecided at that time, I'll post some pics and try to answer any questions if I can. :thumbsup:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

It would have to be good for me to buy it, even at only $30USD, I've got so many torches already, that just don't get used.

I saw that the other day. Did you notice the clip?? 2way. how cool

Hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but yes it is a neat feature.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about this light too and what the beam is like. It'd be awesome if it was like the m3 head and used a standard p60 pill without a reflector. I'd like to drop in a neutral xpl hi with guppydrv

Blitzwing

Enlightened
I'm curious about this light too and what the beam is like. It'd be awesome if it was like the m3 head and used a standard p60 pill without a reflector. I'd like to drop in a neutral xpl hi with guppydrv

I was thinking that too!

The M3 goes well with an XP-G2 or red or green XP-E.

Shouldnt the beam be like any other zoomies?

Depends. Another question is how much efficiency is lost between flood / throw focus and through the lens.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to save up to get a couple of m3 heads to mod. I want one to be a xpl hi neutral with guppydrv firmware on an L2M body and the second one an mtg2 with guppydrv on an L2T body with 2x18350's. This zoomie would definitely be part of that order if it's of good quality.

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
Got it. It is a push-pull type head. Overall I'm sort of "meh" on this light so far. It has the same threads at the tail cap as the L series, but the threaded section is way shorter, so no interchangeability there. The two-way pocket clip is okay. It's the same one as on the newer L2E. The steel feels really thin and flexible, but it can also be bent quite far without taking a set. Not the most secure feeling clip around, but it seems like it should be okay durability wise. The thing I really don't like, though, is that the lens is *gasp* plastic! I was really hoping for glass on this one. I may be able to find a suitable glass substitute, but the factory one has a relatively wide flange around it for the bezel to fit against that might make this difficult. We'll see. As far as beams go, it's about what you'd expect. With the head pulled in it gives a giant round beam that's good for close-up stuff, and pushed all the way out it gives you the typical square image of the led die. It throws okay in this mode, but not as well as I'd hoped it would. I took it outside last night and tried to light up a giant white power pole that's about 130 meters from my back patio, and it did cast some light on it, but not the defined beam I hoped for. :( It's not a bad light, I'm just sort of underwhelmed by it.

FHD0002_zpsbtj09n8y.jpg

I'll see if I can get any beamshots this weekend. I'm still messing around with my new GeekPro, so I don't know how well it'll do. :D

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
Yep, I apparently took a pic of it a month before I got it. How cool is that? :laughing: At least the time was right. :twothumbs Thanks for the condolences. I don't regret the purchase, but I'm not nearly as stoked about the light now that it's here as I thought I'd be. If I can find a nice glass lens, that'll bump up the cool factor significantly.