**NEW** Spark SP6 Multiple XM-L

rufus001

Enlightened
Good. Apparently a german site tested it and found no problems heatwise. I tailstanded it for a while during a ceiling bounce test and it got no hotter on Turbo than my SR90 would. Pretty good considering it was pumping out approx 3500 lumens. It's very solidly built.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to mine! Looks like a great light. Time to go camping again!

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is way more light than I need, and way more money than I have.

But I want to congratulate Spark on a genuinely innovative reflector design.

Putting the emitter at right-angles to the beam and putting each one inside its own segment of a parabola is really clever.

It reminds me of the microwave horns that used to dot the landscape of the USA when ATT had its long line system--Hogg horns I think they are called.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Hogg_horn_antennas.jpg

That's a great way to get more of the center of the emitter shining into the root of the parabola, as opposed to the now-current design where the parabola only collects light from the outer edges of the emitter.

But it's less extreme than the reflex design, i.e. with the emitter facing backwards, and it may be able to do a better job on cooling (which is the biggest problem, to my mind, with the reflex design).

I'd like to hear more about the cooling, though. You've got 5 XML's on a protrusion not much bigger than my finger-tip. I hope they are all bedded in solid copper or the like, to move the heat back into the body. Maybe soon we'll go to heat-pipe technology?

So in any case--I will never buy this light. But I think it is doing some genuinely new and interesting things. Bravo Spark!

(Oh, and I am not saying that I would not review it if you sent me one for free!)

easilyled

Flashaholic
But I want to congratulate Spark on a genuinely innovative reflector design.

Innovative in that its the first of its type used in mass-produced flashlights, I agree.

However McGizmo designed and documented a prototype of exactly the same principle (that he never implemented) many years ago.

This design is apparently also commonly used in automotive lighting.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Innovative in that its the first of its type used in mass-produced flashlights, I agree.

However McGizmo designed and documented a prototype of exactly the same principle (that he never implemented) many years ago.

This design is apparently also commonly used in automotive lighting.

Yep, posted here back in 2006:

3-Shooter.jpg

I suspect of more interest to all of us is whether this idea will find itself in any production examples on any scale. :shrug: :popcorn: