New Surefire E1L Outdoorsman - thoughts

TMedina

The E1L is almost a perfect combination of EDC needs - throw in a Z68 and it really is perfect.

-Trevor

Gatsby

I much prefer low coming on first. The E1L and E2L are somewhat under the radar lights given their more modest outputs, but are very very useful utility lights and the optics really are useful - plenty of throw and concentrated light but more spill than the older domed optics.

And they run for a long time. I use my Kx2 head on my E1L body with an RCR123 quite a bit as well and its a useful setup.

steveG

I just got an E1B clip for my E1L... what a great upgrade! It makes the light much easier to carry. I wish Surefire would sell these separately.

kaichu dento

I just got an E1B clip for my E1L... what a great upgrade! It makes the light much easier to carry. I wish Surefire would sell these separately.
You and me both - I just finished getting my third E1B clip for two of my E1L's and my E1e, which originally came with the tiny clip that made all of them want to fall out of my pocket, unless I just put the light down into my pocket.

Selling the E1B clip separately would be great, but supplying all their lights with them would be even better.

pjandyho

You and me both - I just finished getting my third E1B clip for two of my E1L's and my E1e, which originally came with the tiny clip that made all of them want to fall out of my pocket, unless I just put the light down into my pocket.

Selling the E1B clip separately would be great, but supplying all their lights with them would be even better.
Agreed. The clip for E1B and LX2 are just great. But I doubt Surefire would be willing to incorporate it into the E series models, maybe not yet. I believe quite a few users still prefer the old style clip for use on their cap too, myself excluded.

Robin24k

Me too - E1L for much longer runtime vs E1B.
When reading SureFire runtimes, you may not always be able to make a direct comparison. "Tactical Runtime" is defined as output until 50 lumens, and "Runtime" is defined as output until 1 lumen. I was compiling data into a table for my review of the E2L AA when I noticed that some lights have runtime listed as Tactical Runtime, and others as Runtime. The E2L has Tactical Runtime and the E2L AA has Runtime, and after contacting SureFire Technical Support, I was able to locate a Tactical Runtime figure for the E2L AA.

Here is what I can gather regarding runtimes for the E1L and E1B:

E1L:
Tactical Runtime: Unknown
High Runtime: 8.5 hours
Low Runtime: 48 hours

E1B:
Tactical Runtime: 1.3 hours
High Runtime: Unknown
Low Runtime: 37 hours

Based on this, there is no direct way to compare the runtimes of these lights. If anybody wants to contact SureFire and see if they have the figures to complete my chart, I would be glad to add the new information once available. :)

BigBluefish

When reading SureFire runtimes, you may not always be able to make a direct comparison. "Tactical Runtime" is defined as output until 50 lumens, and "Runtime" is defined as output until 1 lumen. I was compiling data into a table for my review of the E2L AA when I noticed that some lights have runtime listed as Tactical Runtime, and others as Runtime. The E2L has Tactical Runtime and the E2L AA has Runtime, and after contacting SureFire Technical Support, I was able to locate a Tactical Runtime figure for the E2L AA.

Here is what I can gather regarding runtimes for the E1L and E1B:

E1L:
Tactical Runtime: Unknown
High Runtime: 8.5 hours
Low Runtime: 48 hours

E1B:
Tactical Runtime: 1.3 hours
High Runtime: Unknown
Low Runtime: 37 hours

Based on this, there is no direct way to compare the runtimes of these lights. If anybody wants to contact SureFire and see if they have the figures to complete my chart, I would be glad to add the new information once available. :)

It's even more confuisng then that. I think I recall, based on someone else's runtime graphs of the E2L done a couple of years ago, that the 2 cell, 2-level lgith (E2L) did 9 hours in full regulation, then tapered off for the next 5 or 6 hours. Based on this and perhaps others' observations, the consensus was that the E1L would run at full output for between 4 and 4.5 hours, with table-top flat regulation, then start to taper off. So the "full runtime" doesn't mean it will run at 100% for that whole 8.5 hours. It's just that it takes 8.5 hours for the output to drop enough for SF to say it isn't at "full" output anymore.

With the E1B, I don't think you have that fully flat regulation for the stated 1.3 hours. IIRC the runtime graphs show the full output starting to dip, though not dramatically, after 1 hour, then dropping with increasing speed over the next hour or so.

So if you want truly full output for a few hours, get the E1L. If you need the increased output for "tactical" purposes, get the E1B.

Better yet, if SureFire would get the LX1 out, and give us 100+ SF lumens with a more efficient emitter than the ones they are using in the E-series lights, with a 5 lumen instead of 10 or 15 lumen low, and that nice UI so you don't have to choose between low or high first, then we can get one single cell SureFire to do both jobs!

asdalton

The 9 hr. runtime for the E2L was for the older, single-level Cree version released in 2007. The current 2-level version will run in flat regulation for 6 hours.

BigBluefish

The 9 hr. runtime for the E2L was for the older, single-level Cree version released in 2007. The current 2-level version will run in flat regulation for 6 hours.

Ah, I believe you are correct. That 2 level E2L runs at 60 lumens, while the single level E2L runs at 45. So I think I was at least right on the 4+ hour on the E1L.

Robin24k

This is getting really confusing with additional variable of the KL1 and KX1/KX2 heads...

The current E2L has a tactical runtime (to 50 lumens) of 6 hours, high runtime (to 1 lumen) of 11 hours, and low runtime (to 1 lumen) of 100 hours. However, this is beside the point...I just brought up the E2L as another example, and how I first noticed the inconsistency.

Based on this and perhaps others' observations, the consensus was that the E1L would run at full output for between 4 and 4.5 hours, with table-top flat regulation, then start to taper off.
Is this the current E1L, or the old one? If it is the new one, it would imply about 4 hours of tactical runtime, although this is complicated by it not even having a tactical runtime if the 45 lumen spec is correct.

BigBluefish

This is getting really confusing with additional variable of the KL1 and KX1/KX2 heads...

Is this the current E1L, or the old one? If it is the new one, it would imply about 4 hours of tactical runtime, although this is complicated by it not even having a tactical runtime if the 45 lumen spec is correct.

This is for the newer/current 2-level E1L. Which, BTW doesn't actually output 45 lumens, but rather more like 80, IMHO. Its output was indistinguishable, on a ceiling bounce test, as measured by eye, from that of my NovaTac 85T. I don't think that makes the E1L a tactical light, by any means. But I think the 4 hour runtime, at full output, is probably correct.

vabluefish

Hey all, just ordered this light and wanted to sum up the improvements to be made. Get the E1B clip, the z68 tailcap, and the diffuser, correct? If I could hunt down the tailcap from the older E1E, that should fit correct?

Thanks!

zs&tas

ahhh the E1L, owned for 2 months, walked the dog fixed the car slept ate drank drove did everything with this light. I do miss it dearly - it got stolen and i cant afford to replace it. for the runtime the brightness and usefulness of the beam is superb

vabluefish, everyone is different, just use it as is for a while and see what you think. i ended up with a E2D tailcap - similar to z68 but i prefer it. and i removed the clip, that gave it a fantastic hold in the hand and perfect for me.

hmmm might have to visit the market place now people..........

vabluefish

Got the SF E1L yesterday. Really cool light...BUT, I don't think I can justify the cost. Yes it's quality. But for half the price, I could get a similar NiteCore or JetBeam, with more adjustability, spare parts, holster, etc. I didn't even get a sticker....I want a sticker! :shakehead
I like it though. Debating on keeping it, or returning it and going with something else. Kind of look forward to going with the above mentioned mods. I can already tell it would benefit from them, for me anyway.
Thoughts?

Swedpat

Keep the Surefire... Not powerful, nor gadget, just a tough reliable "Illumination tool" : it won't let you in the dark.
Wishing you all a Happy New Year!:party:

I agree. There are brighter lights for lower price. But it's a reliable workhorse and the quality feeling is unbeatable, I also love the design!
I really love my E1L, as well as E2L AA and E2DL. Wish you the same a Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Latest posts