New Surefire E1L Outdoorsman - thoughts

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
This is why I tell people to buy a F04 diffuser for their TIR lights, particularly the E1L, E2L, and L1. It will make the light. The "Outdoorsman" designation for a light with a small, cool-tinted spot is a pet peeve of mine. Without a diffuser, these are the total opposite of what an outdoorsman would want in a light.
The F04 is $14. Get one and try your bathroom test again ;)

I went to the surefire site to pick up the diffusor, but according to their site the F04 is for the E1E, E2E and E2O, whereas their, bulkier FM57 reflector-- which looks less attractive to me, is billed as fitting most of the E1's and E2's, including the E1L.

Just want to check that the F04 will fit this thing (the E1L).

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to check that the F04 will fit this thing (the E1L).

Yes, it does:

a5kh9v.jpg

:cool:

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
Cool, I just ordered one from the junction. Ordered the frekn $39 tail-standing tail clip too!

jbharrold

Newly Enlightened
For a handy diffuser, I've used screwcaps from half-liter water bottles. The white plastic type doesn't transmit much light, but the clear plastic versions work well. And the price is certainly a strong point.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favourites for sure. I actually appreciate the throw of the optics when camping and wandering round the countryside at night. I like the fact a small single cell light with decent runtime can allow me to see quite far ahead when necessary. For floody, close up stuff I tend to rely more on a headlamp now.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favourites for sure. I actually appreciate the throw of the optics when camping and wandering round the countryside at night. I like the fact a small single cell light with decent runtime can allow me to see quite far ahead when necessary. For floody, close up stuff I tend to rely more on a headlamp now.

Agreed. I am doing a 6 day hike in August and my lighting needs will be fulfilled by a Ra Clicky, a Surefire E1B and a Surefire Saint Minimus.

The throw of the E1B is a nice thing to have available. When hiking at night it will be the perfect compliment to the flood of the Saint if I need to see further ahead.

I prefer floody beams indoor and more throw outdoor.

My 2 E1L's will be making the trip in my wife's bag and in my youngest son's bag... they use the light on whatever level it comes on at and the low level provides almost all the light you ever need for hiking with great runtime.

Last edited:

steveG

Enlightened
I figured there was no need for another thread on the E1L.

I just got back from a camping trip where I used my E1L... what a champ. I ended up using it as a night light in the camper because my 4 year old wanted a night light. I set it on low at about 9pm and turned it off at about 8am... still plenty bright on high. As I said earlier in the thread. I don't use this light very often but when I do I'm really glad I bought it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I used mine changing plugs on my van last week. My favorite beam is one with a wide hot spot and plenty of light in the flood, but for shining into tight places in the engine compartment and past suspension parts, the super tight beam of the E1L on low was perfect.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I am doing a 6 day hike in August and my lighting needs will be fulfilled by a Ra Clicky, a Surefire E1B and a Surefire Saint Minimus.

The throw of the E1B is a nice thing to have available. When hiking at night it will be the perfect compliment to the flood of the Saint if I need to see further ahead.
E1B for throw, Saint for flood. So where does the HDS Ra clicky fit in? :thinking:

Anyway, nice lighting choices you have there. You sure don't compromise when it comes to legendary toughness and reliability. :twothumbs

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
E1B for throw, Saint for flood. So where does the HDS Ra clicky fit in? :thinking:

Anyway, nice lighting choices you have there. You sure don't compromise when it comes to legendary toughness and reliability. :twothumbs
The other two are specialty lights and the Ra Clicky does everything else!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other two are specialty lights and the Ra Clicky does everything else!

Apologize to all for the slight off topic here.

Do you have the E1B Kaichu Dento? I have an 80 lumens E1B but I find the 170 lumens Ra clicky seems to put out more light. I know, 170 versus 80 SF lumens but I was expecting the TIR optics to at least put out more throw and power than the Ra which uses a reflector.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've got a couple E1L's and I think my Clicky puts out more light on high than both of them together. What I like about my E1L's is the tight beam for when I want that kind of light and I didn't like the E1B's slipperiness, preferring the knurled body of the E1L.

d337944

Enlightened
LOVE this light. :thumbsup:

I've had mine about 2 months (dual output), and love the beam, tint, and simple / robust design and function. When it arrived there were some flecks of anodizing missing from the tailcap (poor cosmetic quality control), but a simple e-mail to Surefire got me a replacement tailcap sent to Australia without fuss. I don't find the beam too narrow at all - there is a fairly wide "spread beam" surrounding the central spot, which illuminates the surroundings quite well (though not that brightly).

As an aside, I just purchased an RA Clicky a couple of days ago - and it's already on it's way back to the manufacturer for repairs (electronics issue). Even though the RA is much more solid and thicker, with a "more useful" spread beam, I personally am not as comfortable with all it's electronic "extras" from a total reliability scenario.

If I were forced to select just one flashlight from my collection to rely on for general / reliability use, I'd personally select the Surefire E1L.

BTW, my collection includes:
- Inova X03 (85 lumen)
- Inova T2 (40 lumen)
- Led Lenser V2 original (1.25 Watt)
- Several Maglites with 140 lumen and 600 lumen terralux drop-ins
- Olight M20-S (R5)
- Zebralight H30
- Led Lenser L7 (fluorescent yellow)
- Fenix E21 neutral
- Surefire E1L
- RA Clicky High CRI
- Various other "cheap" LED flashlights)

Cheers

seahunt

Enlightened
Just try a KuKu three mode drop-in on RCR123.
Put your shades on!!
lovecpf

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
just a question. why did u pick the E1L over the E1B?
I can't answer for him, but the reason I like my E1L's more than the E1B I had is that I prefer the knurled body and that it comes on in low rather than high. The E1B was slick and although I was tempted to keep it for it's throwiness, I found more closely what I wanted with the E1L, and now have three of them.

d337944

Enlightened
just a question. why did u pick the E1L over the E1B?

Me too - E1L for much longer runtime vs E1B. I also like the design of the E1L more! E1L is not a tactical brightness light, but outputs more than enough light for most general purposes.

Cheers