*NEW* The Glo-Toob

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think a white one would be the most useful. Maybe with a 1W LS & a 123 battery. It would be great to keep in a building type survival kit. TX

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks real nice. Light weight, looks solid. Can you give the battery type and cost?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surpriseingly enough, the 12V battery is easy to find. I got mine at W-M for $1.
The Ramsey 1AAA Legend conversion uses it. TX

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks pretty interesting to me. A fairly simple idea that probably works well, especially the putting in the reflector opposite the LEDs.

One of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas, to me..
Matter of fact, I might poke around the DIY shop this weekend and see if I can put together a mock-up to see what it would be like..

Graham

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streak:

It looks like "darkest Africa" is about to become significantly less dark! Seriously though; I have heard that South Africa has a reputation for being truely innovative regarding many things mechanical. This could be another winner. Please keep us posted.

Stainless

Streak

Enlightened
I met today with the inventors and manufacturers of this interesting new LED product. It's designed to take the place of chemical light sticks, but puts out so much light that it is now being considered for other applications.
They take 3 LED's (5 for Red) mounted on a small PCB in series and focus them on a polished aluminium cone which reflects the light through a clear epoxy type housing which covers the whole lot. The housing in effect becomes one large diffuser and the light output is really good. They run off one small remote control 12v battery.
No regulation yet but hopefully soon along with flashing modes also.
I gave them some 8000mcd whites today to see how well a white light unit will turn out.
There is a mistake on the web site where they state LED life of only 5000 hours.

Who says we are asleep here in darkest Africa?

At the moment their agents are mainly dive shops and they dont sell direct. As with the PWM switches from my post on the electronics forum, they have agreed to allow group purchases for enthusiasts. They are still working out a price for me.

Check out www.glo-toob.com for more info.

If there is enough interest I can put together a shipment for a CPF member to redistribute in the USA or wherever.

As soon as I get my hands on some I hope to post some more detailed pictures. In the mean time let me know how much interest there is out there.

By the way the unit is almost indestructable, water proof to 100m (300 feet) and they have driven over one with a large municipal bus with no ill effect.

Cheers

Streak

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Looks good. Can someone translate 70mmx19mm in to inches or Arc AAA. I'm an American with little idea of metric system. I agree about odd battery sizes but much prefer the 12v to button or coin cells.

Stainless said---Seriously though; I have heard that South Africa has a reputation for being truely innovative regarding many things mechanical.---
Yes look at the Bayless eqiped radios and LIGHTS. Wasn't the air-powered car started there?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by witsend:
Looks good. Can someone translate 70mmx19mm in to inches or Arc AAA. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Approx. ¾" x 2¾"

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by witsend:
So for us who are challenged by size concepts. About the size of an Infinity?

So what is V-cal doing up at this hour?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Insomniac
frown.gif

The toob is the same dia. as the Infinity, -and just a bit shorter.

Streak

Enlightened
Thanks all for the input so far. My white unit and samples of the others should be ready for me on Tuesday at which time I will try and take some better pictures than are on the web site.
I did a quick search today for the 12v battery and there was no place that did not have them. There are hundreds of different remote controls that use these batteries so everywhere carries them.
I did however mention to the inventors that they may want to look at a step circuit and a more common battery. This would mean re-machining the aluminium housing to make it longer to accomodate say a single AA or AAA cell. Firstly this would make the unit a lot bigger and heavier and secondly I am not sure how well 3 LED's (series or parrallel) would run off the 1 cell and a step up circuit? Any ideas on this?

Streak

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Streak -as general info:...
The "Sauce-Lightwand" by Color Kinetics uses a single "N"1.5v alkaline cell for power on their 3-LED wand, and they claim only 7 hour run time with that cell.

So, that could indeed be a problem -esp. in a survival situation, alright.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phred:
Now I'm confused. Is the 21/23 the same as a 12v N?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically that batt. isn't an "N" cell, but it's I think a wee bit longer and smaller dia. than a true N cell-if I remember right.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
The N cell is a 1.5V battery. The 21/23 is 12V. Both are very small. TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, I use those N cells all the time. Btw-their capacity is less than a typical AAA, and the N cell in one of the Lightwands only lasts about 3 hours.

edit: the 12v. 21/23 cell is used in a few cigarette lighters, dog collars, and pagers.

Latest posts