New THRUNITE TN36 UT CW 7300 LUMENS

Capolini

Banned
lol! When is it too much[lumens] too much [heat]?!

I sent the stock TN36 back because of too much heat,,that was in the winter time! I realize that part of the reason is I like MAX. I also LOVE throw and I am not impressed by a wall of light with minimal illumination 100/200 yards away.

There are people who love these types of lights.

The lumen race will continue, the heat it generates will also continue and the minimal run times on MAX will certainly follow.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol! When is it too much[lumens] too much [heat]?!

There are people who love these types of lights.

The lumen race will continue, the heat it generates will also continue and the minimal run times on MAX will certainly follow.

And I'm one :) I know they get hot on the highest modes. But I accept that turbo is just for a momentary blast to see whats...everywhere. Some day I shall have one of these little hand held suns.

jamadt

Newly Enlightened
Are there plans for a neutral white version of the UT model?

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
I have no official word, but in the specs it mentions that NW has slightly lower lumen ratings than CW. That could be left over from the last release, or it could indicate that they are planning on having a NW version.

Eagle

jamadt

Newly Enlightened
I have no official word, but in the specs it mentions that NW has slightly lower lumen ratings than CW. That could be left over from the last release, or it could indicate that they are planning on having a NW version.

Eagle

Yeah, I saw that also in the specs and assumed it was a copy&paste mistake.

If it's true... less lumens, even more reasons for the NW version.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I thought it was going to take awhile before a manufacturer pumped out a 7k lumen flashlight.
I almost thought it a pipe dream, wait a go Thrunite

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[h=2]THRUNITE TN36 UT[/h]
I wonder what "UT" stands for...maybe the reflector has been changed along with the emitter and UT stands for "ultra throw"...

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
From triple Mkr to triple XHP70 and only gaining 800 lumens? So the lumen gain is sheer efficiency and no other changes other than switching emitters? Underwhelming.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
am I the only one that feels 7000 lumens yet only as much throw as a TK22 is a bit ridiculous and impractical? I do not understand the point of this class of super lumen lights with castrated range. Visually the difference between 3000 lumens and even 7000 is not that great anyways. It is going to take another great leap in LED technology and reflector refinement to balance the spill and throw of these super lumen lights into a ratio that begins to make sense and be far more practical. Dedicated throwers can easily give you tunnel vision with their intense throw beams wouldnt these super lumen flooders cut your vision to the short range of the utterly blinding wall of light making one blind past that? For now should I need super lumens anything Ill buy a dedicated HID light. Fortunately my dozens of LED lights cover everything from the most soft tinted moonlight modes to great high out put general purpose(TK35 2015, SR52, MX25L2 etc) all of which have massive diameter beam profiles. I had the TK35UE but just couldnt warm up to the short range dedicated output out of a light capable of much greater reach. I have watched the YT reviews and paid attention to the CPF reviews of these super lumen lights and besides having ultra wide beam profiles I just do not see any advantage at all over the great current high output general purpose lights. I consider the TK75 as exotic as it goes for a real usable practical super high output general purpose light. It has far above average throw and massive yet artifact fringed flood/spill. It also does not give you tunnel vision or limit your vision by throwing a wall you cant see past. Am expecting a REAL TK75 competitor from Thrunite some time. They have some amazing big lights but none of them have the throw spill and lumen combination of the TK75. Unfortunately for Fenix competitors the 2015 TK75 upgrade drops in a month or two

markr6

Flashaholic
am I the only one that feels 7000 lumens yet only as much throw as a TK22 is a bit ridiculous and impractical? I do not understand the point of this class of super lumen lights with castrated range. Visually the difference between 3000 lumens and even 7000 is not that great anyways. It is going to take another great leap in LED technology and reflector refinement to balance the spill and throw of these super lumen lights into a ratio that begins to make sense and be far more practical. Dedicated throwers can easily give you tunnel vision with their intense throw beams wouldnt these super lumen flooders cut your vision to the short range of the utterly blinding wall of light making one blind past that? For now should I need super lumens anything Ill buy a dedicated HID light. Fortunately my dozens of LED lights cover everything from the most soft tinted moonlight modes to great high out put general purpose(TK35 2015, SR52, MX25L2 etc) all of which have massive diameter beam profiles. I had the TK35UE but just couldnt warm up to the short range dedicated output out of a light capable of much greater reach. I have watched the YT reviews and paid attention to the CPF reviews of these super lumen lights and besides having ultra wide beam profiles I just do not see any advantage at all over the great current high output general purpose lights. I consider the TK75 as exotic as it goes for a real usable practical super high output general purpose light. It has far above average throw and massive yet artifact fringed flood/spill. It also does not give you tunnel vision or limit your vision by throwing a wall you cant see past. Am expecting a REAL TK75 competitor from Thrunite some time. They have some amazing big lights but none of them have the throw spill and lumen combination of the TK75. Unfortunately for Fenix competitors the 2015 TK75 upgrade drops in a month or two

There will always be major factors to consider like throw, flood, size, and weight. But I agree you can reach a point where it just seems silly. I still think it's great that manufacturers are pushing the limits, and people want to buy them. That's totally fine. But I recently discovered it's not for me.

It's just hard to "wow" me anymore with the 1500lm-3000lm+ range. At this point it all comes down to the reflector for flood/throw, heat management and battery life. No matter how you define it, it seems like we hit a ceiling on what is "practical".

I was really tempted to get one of these, but when I saw reviews about the heat, it just didn't sound like the light for me. Of course I don't need the highest mode and it can be reserved for "quick bursts", but come on...I won't be able to resist! Besides, I could get a much smaller and lighter light for that kind of output.

I will continue to "buy and try" to see what I like. EagleTac 3x18650 and 4x18650 lights really appeal to me. Fairly compact, not crazy-hot handwarmers, nice flood/throw beams (could be floodier IMO).

EnlightenedOne

Newly Enlightened
This type of light can be practical for night photography. I photograph night scenes regularly and although I have flashes and slave flashes, having some light available in total darkness allows for more creative "painting with light" options. A long throw light is not that helpful.

Knapweed

Newly Enlightened
A pure flood like the TN36 makes an excellent emergency light on a sailboat, where the whole deck needs flooding with light on a tricky sail change in storm conditions, or cutting away rigging in the event of a mast failure It's also useful to have 6500 lumens to get yourself noticed when meeting large vessels, who may have missed you on radar, because of steep seas. It's probably not the best for granny walking her poodle - unless she's very frightened of the dark.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot believe someone else has a different preference than me!

That is what the discussion comes down to...if you don't find flood lights useful, don't buy them. Doesn't mean they are impractical for others. As a concrete example, I personally feel that my MM15vn (current boosted to ~7400 lumens) is FAR more practical than a TK75 of any flavor. This is not a hypothetical...I owned both, kept the MM15vn, and gave away my TK75vn because I didn't use it much. Smaller lights are easier to carry, and typically I don't need to see more than 300 feet away (and even the floodiest of the "pop-can" lights can do that). Much better for me to have ALL useful range lit well, than a narrow slice far off lit very well.

To each his own!

markr6

Flashaholic
I cannot believe someone else has a different preference than me!

That is what the discussion comes down to...if you don't find flood lights useful, don't buy them. Doesn't mean they are impractical for others. As a concrete example, I personally feel that my MM15vn (current boosted to ~7400 lumens) is FAR more practical than a TK75 of any flavor. This is not a hypothetical...I owned both, kept the MM15vn, and gave away my TK75vn because I didn't use it much. Smaller lights are easier to carry, and typically I don't need to see more than 300 feet away (and even the floodiest of the "pop-can" lights can do that). Much better for me to have ALL useful range lit well, than a narrow slice far off lit very well.

To each his own!

I agree. I like throwers just because they are impressive and easily measured "this one goes 400m...this one goes 900m!". I guess you can measure flood with some geometry, but it's usually just not as impressive until you start comparing in more detail.

In the most basic sense...

Flood = more general use, everyday applications
Throw = specific applications like night hunting, spotting land from a boat, S&R, etc.

Sure you can turn a thrower into flood, but I never liked doing that due to the loss of lumens and hassle of a flip-top, separate cap, diffuser tape, etc.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like floodies up to about 500 lumens. After that, I want some throw for my output. Not tunnel vision, but something that gives some decent throw plus some useful spill. A floody 7000 lumen light sounds like just a battery-waster. I can see up close fine with 500 lumens, the next 6500 lumens is just overkill. Put them into something that allows me to see in the distance as well.

20000cd is the minimum I'd expect from a 1000 lumen light. From 7000 lumens, I'd expect it to be 140000cd. This light is 7x too floody.

chuckhov

Enlightened
I like floodies up to about 500 lumens. After that, I want some throw for my output. Not tunnel vision, but something that gives some decent throw plus some useful spill. A floody 7000 lumen light sounds like just a battery-waster. I can see up close fine with 500 lumens, the next 6500 lumens is just overkill. Put them into something that allows me to see in the distance as well.

20000cd is the minimum I'd expect from a 1000 lumen light. From 7000 lumens, I'd expect it to be 140000cd. This light is 7x too floody.

As for my experience - I think you just nailed it, sir.

A high power flooder makes the foreground Much Brighter, but what's the point? - I could already see that just fine.

Just as a for-instance... I have a Convoy S2+ (an 18650 tube light - L,M,H). - On medium maybe about 350 lumens, and on high, somewhere around 800. - Thing is, the foreground gets so much brighter, that any increase in the throw achieved by going to High, is negated.

To me... really no need for high output flood.

JMHO,
-Chuck