New Thrunite TN40 4450 lumens 1151m throw

Chaitanya

Banned
Just looking at specs and 2.5 days on 90lumens is absolutely ridiculous. Also thia light is seriously overkill just the size of head is monsterous.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Thrunite's answer to the TM16GT. Just a few years ago you had to step up to HIDs for this kind of performance. And this one will out do a lot of them.
Billy

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Thrunite flashlight has it?

I don't know about Thrunite. All my multi emitter Nitecores have a substantial battery drain. I usually leave my large lights at home and like to have them ready to use.
If this light has a very low battery drain Im buying it.
I'll wait for reviews.

ven

Flashaholic
Lou, any of the multi cell lights i have had from thrunite have been issue free from parasitic drain(everything else issue free wise for that matter!). Hopefully with this type of propitiatory pack, a simple turn of the tail cap will lock it out anyway.
:)

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lou, any of the multi cell lights i have had from thrunite have been issue free from parasitic drain(everything else issue free wise for that matter!). Hopefully with this type of propitiatory pack, a simple turn of the tail cap will lock it out anyway.
:)

That would be great news. I don't mind locking out lights but my girlfriend can't handle it. She is usually up later than me and we leave the dog outside the house to bark at things in the night. Sometimes the dog actually barks at something that needs to be checked with a flashlight. For now I "unlock" my Nitecores before I go to bed and lock them out in the morning. My TK76 doesn't need locking out, but the problem there is too many buttons for the girlfriend. It sure is nice to flood the entire yard with light when the dog is alerting you of a problem.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I wouldn't worry too much about parasitic drain with a 6.8 ah battery. My TN30 has 3.1 ah batteries in it, never gets locked out and I can't detect any parasitic drain. The only time I lock out a light is to keep it from being accidentally turned on. For someone wanting a big powerful light this looks like a good deal not having to buy batteries and coming with a powerful charger.
Billy

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only multicell light I have is TN32. I never lock it out. And never had any issues with self discharge. I guess Thrunite are wise enough to not change anything in perfectly working scheme.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
while I really appreciate TN for pushing the envelope...if I need that much output and range Ill go HID....

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great features but.

Proprietary battery pack, NO THANKS!!!!

CHEERS :thumbsdow
I will not purchase a Proprietary battery pack flashlight; in a few years of use, a bad internal charging unit and or bad proprietary battery and the light is an expensive paper weight.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be fair to Thrunite, this design is well suited for professional search and rescue, law enforcement and other agencies with budgets to bear the cost.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Why didn't they go with a single XHP70 and one reflector?

ven

Flashaholic
I understand the feelings with the packs and do agree to an extent. More flexible to swap your cells(or have a spare proprietary pack but more $$) . Pro packs are convenient to an extent being self contained , no removing of cells from carriers that takes time and a small toll over time(call it wear and tear or increased risks of dropping/fumbling) Then sitting in a charger.....not convenient if one likes to top off cells regular (like I do).

Although for this light I don't think necessary , it has a few benefits too. Guess I am saying if the light hits all the buttons, sometimes it's worth not ruling out altogether over the pack. IMO anyway, the rc40 I have found real handy so far with this type of set up. A nice change to break up carrier removals and trying to remove cells(without long nails) :laughing:

ven

Flashaholic
Why didn't they go with a single XHP70 and one reflector?

They may do at some point, for now the k60 fits that bill well. It would never be able to reach out as far as this, vinhs k60vn is a little over 200kcd but will admit the beam is very hard to beat ,being a single large reflector over multi types .

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Product Description
Features

•One of the most powerful long range lights on the market.
•Uses four advanced CREE XP-L HI LEDs with a lifespan of 20 years
•The high output reaches 4450 lumens and an ultra-long distance of 1151 meters.
•Built in fast charging system (2.8hrs) and 7.2v 6800mAh high capacity battery pack.
•ThruNite ITC technology to prevents possible damage from overheating.
•Intelligent and ergonomic user-friendly interface.
Specifications

•LED: 4xCREE XP-L HI LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time.
•Runs on: ThruNite Li-ion battery pack (7.2V/6800mAh).
•Working voltage: 5V-9V.
•Charging current/voltage: 7.4V, 3.5A.
•Output & Runtime (Tested with ThruNite 7.2V/6800mAh Li-ion battery pack and for CW. NW parameters is 10% off):
◦Strobe(1100 lumens /9hrs),
◦Turbo(4450 lumens/85mins),
◦High(1780 lumens /2.7hrs),
◦Medium(580 lumens /9.5hrs),
◦Low(90 lumens /2.5days),
◦Firefly (1.2 lumens /57days).
•Peak beam intensity: 331200cd.
•Max beam distance: 1151m.
•Power interface: 1 * DC 5.5 charging port.
•Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (2 meters).
•Impact resistant: 1.0 meter.
•Working Temperature: -40℃-80℃.
•Dimensions: 173mm (length) x 100mm x 52mm.
•Weight: 785g (including battery).
•Accessories: Shoulder strap*1, Strap ring*1, AC/DC Adapter*1, Spare O-ring*2, Side switch Cap*1, Tail switch Cap*1, Anti-dust plug*1
Operation

•Turn On/Off
Press the side switch to turn the light on/off.
•Change Mode

◦When the light is on, long press the side switch to cycle through low, medium and high.
◦Shortcut to firefly: When the light is off, long press the side switch to get firefly mode.
◦Double click to turn to turbo from any mode. Another double click to get strobe.
•ITC Technology
The light will automatically lower the current when temperature in LED or driver rises to 80 degrees centigrade to protect the flashlight from overheating.
Thus to extend its lifespan.
•Memory Function
The light will turn on in the last mode accessed, except firefly, turbo and strobe.
•Charging and Indicator
◦Battery capacity: 1-20%, indicator is flashing red.
◦Battery capacity: 25%-50%, indicator is flashing purple.
◦Battery capacity: 50-95%, indicator is flashing blue.
◦Battery capacity: 96-100%, blue light will be on.
◦The total charging time is 2.8 hrs. Click the round tail switch, the indicator will be on for 5 seconds.
•Discharging and Indicator

◦Battery capacity: 1-10%, indicator is red.
◦Battery capacity: 10%-25%, indicator is flashing red.
◦Battery capacity: 25-50%, indicator is purple.
◦Battery capacity: 50-100%, indicator is blue.
◦Click the round tail switch, the indicator will be on for 5 seconds.

Interesting light.

Based on the 52mm dimension which I assume to be the battery tube diameter, the battery pack is probably 4x18650 all sitting physically parallel (not electrically parallel) to each other in the battery tube, with 2 pairs of 18650 electrically connected in series. If the battery pack ever malfunctioned, a replacement pack could be made as a straightforward DIY.

Last edited:

lewc

Newly Enlightened
20% prime day coupon at thrunite store (not Amazon) 7/11->7/12 only