NEW VIDEO: Machining the Alpha tailcap, Position #1

archer6817j

Enlightened
I know some of you are waiting for lights right now, so I thought I'd share what I'm actually doing :) Basically I've been set up to run one part at a time...one "top" side and one "bottom" side. I machine the first side and then flip it over and machine the bottom. I have to do this on each part. In the past I was basically in "prototype" mode where I had two vises on the mill. each one was set up to run two different parts. 4 parts total, one at a time. This means I spend a lot of time in front of the machine, loading and unloading parts. I've been (basically starting from scratch) reprogramming every part so that I can do multiples. In this shot video you'll see vise #1 set up to run the first side of the tailcap with 3 parts. The next step will be to make a new program to do the same 3 parts on vise #2, so I'll effectively be cutting 6 parts at a time. Then those six parts need to be flipped and all the operations done on the other end. Dizzy yet? :)

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason,
There is literally nothing I like better when choosing a flashlight than seeing them produced. Besides seeing the production after I already bought one to enforce the fact that I made a good decision!

You rock!

sassaquin

Enlightened
Great Video Jason - peeking behind the curtain and watching the magic of manufacturing is facinating, I'm a big fan of The Science Channel show How It's Made, maybe one day I'll see Promentheus Lights featured on an episode. ;)
It looks like the new programming is going to be much more efficient and help increase production of the Blue Labels. Any Shorty or copper lights in the works? The copper light you made for your father is probably the prettiest light I've ever seen. Maybe you could offer up a run of something similiar.
Thanks for the video. :)

Last edited: