New Years resolutions

Poppy

Flashaholic
Anesthesia is way better than it used to be. Talk to an anesthesiologist if you're concerned about it. I'm sure they will allay your fears.
Granted my father was older than I am when he had his done, but when they did it the first time, they fractured his femur, and had to go back in and do it again. In the meantime, he needed bypass surgery. So in a six week period he had three major surgeries. As a result of the surgeries, he was left with "scanning speech". He speaks slowly, and has to THINK for his next words in a sentence. He often doesn't get the word that he wants. That's what scares me.

About an hour ago, I texted my doctor and friend a Happy New Year message.
I'll see him early this year, 2002.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poppy, I know any type of surgery stinks. I recently had to see a neurologist for a second EMG to find out the extent of nerve damage causing neuropathy, hand tremors, muscle twitches, and myoclonic jerks (among other things). The procedure involves being zapped with electricity several times and then stabbed with a bunch of needles. Then the doctor took over for the nurse and did it all over again. No anesthesia, and the test came back normal. So remember that going under anesthesia may be scary, but some procedures are literally torture and done without it. I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Poppy, I know any type of surgery stinks. I recently had to see a neurologist for a second EMG to find out the extent of nerve damage causing neuropathy, hand tremors, muscle twitches, and myoclonic jerks (among other things). The procedure involves being zapped with electricity several times and then stabbed with a bunch of needles. Then the doctor took over for the nurse and did it all over again. No anesthesia, and the test came back normal. So remember that going under anesthesia may be scary, but some procedures are literally torture and done without it. I hope all goes well with your surgery.
Thanks for your good wishes.

I'm trained in performing EMG/NCV. When you insert a needle, the patient will feel pain as it passes through the skin, like a mosquito bite, but nothing as it passes through the layer of fat that lies under the skin. Also there is no pain as it passes into the muscle, unless you happen to hit a nerve, or blood vessel. If you hit a motor end plate (where a nerve attaches to the muscle) that is like a tooth ache... it really hurts. If you have another EMG performed, be aware of that, and let your examiner know, if his needle placement is particularly painful. Moving the needle a couple of millimeters can make a big difference, and it won't affect the outcome of the study.

I agree... NCVs are not fun. That's where they stimulate the nerve with an electrical shock, and measure how well it carries the impulse.

During training, the first weekend we were inserting needles, my partner for the weekend punked out on me. He was afraid of needles! So the doctor, told me that I would have to do a study on myself. Wouldn't you know, the first time I jabbed myself, I must have hit a nerve, or endplate. My immediate reaction was... "Oh $hit! That hurt!!!" And I pulled it out, and immediately jabbed myself in a different spot. My instructor laughed so hard, I just about had to pick him up off of the floor.

Recently, I've seen TV commercials for a drug for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. They are making progress in the treatment of neurological disorders. Hopefully, they'll find that your condition is benign, and they'll have an effective drug for you.

Here's wishing you, Good luck.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So yesterday I accomplished a 2021 resolution to cut back a climbing rose bush I had let go for the last few years. I wanted to see just how far the vines would grow thinking I may do a trellace gate on one side of the yard. And now there are 2 (uncompressed) piles of thorny twigs 2 feet tall.

Somehow fixing a damaged roof gutter and replacing a flag pole both damaged during a tree removal project led to finally getting around to cutting back that rose bush.

I had hired a contractor to remove a pair of big trees in my yard and a branch fell in a way they did not expect pulling the gutter away from the roof some and wiping out a wall mounted flag hanger. So instead of carrying the 6 foot step ladder all the way around the house I slid it over a fence near the rose bush. When returning it after the tasks out front were completed the rose bush reached out and snagged my brand new Nine-Line Kenntucky Strong shirt and scratched my arm pretty good. THAT'S IT DAG NABBIT!!

A 2022 resolution is to compress that pile and either burn it in the fire pit or twine it then cover with a cloth so that the trash man don't end up bleeding from the "SURPRISE!!" in the pair of small piles of brush.
But hey, I have all year, right?

Edit:
Bound up and twined before noon.

Last edited:
Headed out to the garage to fire-up the BBQ for our New Year's Eve dinner.
IMG_0764.JPG

But first I needed to season the new Grill Grates.
IMG_0768.JPG

Watched a video that advised rubbing new grills with an onion after bringing the BBQ up to about 500 degrees. It was 22 degrees outside, so it took a while.

IMG_0772.JPG

Was about two beers in ...... when I ran out of propane. Rookie Move! I had to bring them into the house to finish cooking.

New Year's resolution - To not run out of propane in 2022.

In my defense, if there really is one, I spent most of the day at our school's library replacing the original T-12 fluorescent tubes with LEDs. Took most of the day because the ballasts had to be removed and the fixtures rewired.
IMG_0755.JPG

Before & after picture. ^

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One year I borrowed my oldest brothers charcoal grill and when done I cleaned it up really nice.

I believe that was the maddest he ever got at me. I said "but look, it's all shiney and new looking"……
"You removed all the flavor you idiot" he said.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Headed out to the garage to fire-up the BBQ for our New Year's Eve dinner.
View attachment 21839

But first I needed to season the new Grill Grates.
View attachment 21840
Watched a video that advised rubbing new grills with an onion after bringing the BBQ up to about 500 degrees. It was 22 degrees outside, so it took a while.

View attachment 21841
Was about two beers in ...... when I ran out of propane. Rookie Move! I had to bring them into the house to finish cooking.

New Year's resolution - To not run out of propane in 2022.

In my defense, if there really is one, I spent most of the day at our school's library replacing the original T-12 fluorescent tubes with LEDs. Took most of the day because the ballasts had to be removed and the fixtures rewired.
View attachment 21842
Before & after picture. ^
Nice! Goodbye 60hz flicker. This will make it subtly more conducive to reading, as well as saving on replacement costs.

One year I borrowed my oldest brothers charcoal grill and when done I cleaned it up really nice.

I believe that was the maddest he ever got at me. I said "but look, it's all shiney and new looking"……
"You removed all the flavor you idiot" he said.
LOL! I can hear him. Once, teenage years, I washed my mom's cast iron skillet. She was not a happy cooker.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Nice! Goodbye 60hz flicker. This will make it subtly more conducive to reading, as well as saving on replacement costs.
Probably much more conducive to reading, especially if those were old-school halophosphor T12s with CRI in the 60s. The improvement going to LED is dramatic, even when you used decent fluorescent tubes before. In my workroom I was using CRI 90 5000K tubes on an electronic ballast. No discernable flicker, and I was happy with the color rendering. Then I bought CRI 93, 5000K LED tubes. Rewired the fixtures, removed the ballasts. Enough of an improvement to not only notice, but to blow me out of the water. CRI numbers are somewhat deceptive. Fluorescent tubes have lots of spikes and gaps in their spectra, even the high CRI tubes. They simply adjust them to game the CRI metric in their favor. LEDs have a continuous spectrum, even if there are some peaks and valleys. End result is even under the same CRI, things look MUCH better with LED lighting.

I bought some boards from Cutter last year with Nichia Optisolis (CRI 99) and Cree Fidelity (CRI 98). Both are pretty much like artificial sunlight. Other than the lack of UV which might make some things fluoresce, impossible to tell the difference.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Probably much more conducive to reading, especially if those were old-school halophosphor T12s with CRI in the 60s. The improvement going to LED is dramatic, even when you used decent fluorescent tubes before. In my workroom I was using CRI 90 5000K tubes on an electronic ballast. No discernable flicker, and I was happy with the color rendering. Then I bought CRI 93, 5000K LED tubes. Rewired the fixtures, removed the ballasts. Enough of an improvement to not only notice, but to blow me out of the water. CRI numbers are somewhat deceptive. Fluorescent tubes have lots of spikes and gaps in their spectra, even the high CRI tubes. They simply adjust them to game the CRI metric in their favor. LEDs have a continuous spectrum, even if there are some peaks and valleys. End result is even under the same CRI, things look MUCH better with LED lighting.

I bought some boards from Cutter last year with Nichia Optisolis (CRI 99) and Cree Fidelity (CRI 98). Both are pretty much like artificial sunlight. Other than the lack of UV which might make some things fluoresce, impossible to tell the difference.
A CRI of 99?!! Wow. I need to look into these.

I finished the last six today. My thumbs hurt from all the wire nut twisting, so I'm having a beer.

Here's a picture of the last three to go. I turned down the exposure on the phone and the difference really shows. I don't know what the CRI is for the LED, but they are 5000k.

BIG difference!

IMG_0778.JPG

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I finished the last six today. My thumbs hurt from all the wire nut twisting, so I'm having a beer.

Here's a picture of the last three to go. I turned down the exposure on the phone and the difference really shows. I don't know what the CRI is for the LED, but they are 5000k.

BIG difference!

View attachment 21852
Oh yes, quite a difference. And the new lights really make the colors on the book covers pop!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most electricians use Wagos instead of wire nuts on fluorescent fixtures for that reason. At least use an Ideal twist a nut screwdriver with the wire nut twister to make things easier.

Most electricians use Wagos instead of wire nuts on fluorescent fixtures for that reason. At least use an Ideal twist a nut screwdriver with the wire nut twister to make things easier.
I was L@@King at A's selection of lever nuts this very morning. I have two more large fluorescent / LED swap projects at church, so was giving them a look. I also purchased some Kline automatic wire stripper pliers. Figured it was time to work smarter than harder.

Thank you for the suggestion. :lovecpf: