Newbie from the UK

snerkler

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Quick intro, I'm new to torches/flashlights and previous I'd got a cheap thing from Amazon which didn't light up a whole deal. Bought a couple of new lights (Astrolux EA01s) for me and my wife for dog walking and had no idea how much the world of flashlights had moved on, previous you turned them on and off and that was it lol.

Obviously Anduril was a bit of a steep learning curve which was OK for me, but my wife's not interested in learning all the functions and due to this as well as a close call when she burnt her pocket when she accidentally turned the light on in her pocket I bought her the Nitecore P20ix, set it to higher and now she can just simply turn it on and off.

I like the EA01s however runtime's not as good as the P20ix so have been looking for something similar to the P20ix but preferably with a side switch as it's just used for dog walking, and the way I hold a light for general walking the side switch is much better placed. If possible I'd like a little more throw, but still with a decent flood. I looked at the Olight Seeker 3 Pro as it claimed to run at high (1200 lumens) for 135 mins, but I found that it stepped down to med after around 10 mins and at this setting it's not bright enough for me so I sent it back. I appreciate ambient conditions affect the runtime, but it's been 3-10 degrees celsius here recently and quite breezy to boot so I expected much longer than 10 mins.

I've now been looking at the Nitecore MH25s which I appreciate is more of a thrower but from youtube clips I've seen it does appear to have a reasonable spill, although I find it hard to gauge from just watching videos. Unfortunately we can only buy lights like this online so I can't go to store to try them. Is the MH25s suitable for dog walking, i.e. does it have enough flood to light the path and sides up so I can see where I'm walking and to make sure I don't step into something I'd rather not, or is it quite a narrow focused beam?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want anything any/much bigger/heavier than the EA01s and P20ix

Cheers.

Edit: Oh one other thing, I'm a little confused as to lumen levels. I know more lumens means more brightness but does this depend on the beam type, e.g would a light that has a more defined hot spot 'appear' brighter at 1000 lumen than a flood beam at 1000 lumen as the light is more focused?

Last edited:

snerkler

Newly Enlightened
Just to update, I took a punt on the MH25s and I quite like it. It has just enough spill brightness to use for general walking but also has great throw if you want to look at things in the distance.