Newbie looking for AMERICAN made AA or AAA edc light

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody. I'm in the market for a new edc light. Right now I'm carrying a Maglite XL50 and love everything about it except it has quit a bit of parasitic drain IMO. I have read this thread and looked at some of lights mentioned but am not sure what to go with.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?331458-best-AA-edc-help-a-newb

Based on how I use my light now, I have come up with a set of guide lines as to what looking for, they are:

1.) AMERICAN made
2.) AA or AAA battery (like the convince and would also like to use rechargeables)
3.) good run time, 5-6 hours or so at 20-30 lumens
4.) 100-200 lumens on high
5.) more throw than flood
6.) close to the XL series in size
7.) easy UI
8.) wouldn't mind a pocket clip

I have looked at the HDS excutive and like it well. Sorry if this is a post that has been made many times but I can't get the search to work. Thank you all for any help.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The search button will work after you got 3 posts or more.
Maglite solitare :) or a peak.
You'll get 200+ lumens on hi from zebralights. (Not made in usa, but it's a usa based comany) It got what you ask for, and is one of the lights with best runtimes, and higest output in the single aa class. Other than peak you prob wont find many usa made lights that runs on a single aa or aaa.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the looks of the Peaks, anybody have any idea the run time and lumens? Also looked at 4 Sevens but not sure if they are made in the US or if they are a US company made overseas.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak measures in Footcandles, but I can say that a Logan with a cool white emitter, running a 17500 is good for about 300 lumens.

Runtimes will vary as to the cell chemistry and size. These aren't regulated in the sense that they hold a specific output. They do diminish in brightness over time (no immediate shutdown).

The QTC enables you to dial them down to a ridiculously low level which will get you runtimes in the hundreds of hours (typically), you can expect 20min-1hr at high.

Yes, 4sevens are US designed and Asian manufactured.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked at the Peaks and like them but I believe I'm going to have to expand the "American Made" a bit so I have a few more options, maybe go to American made or an American owned company. Besides Peak, Zebra, and 7sevens, any other recommendations? What do you all recommend in those brands?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Peak Logan 17500 in aluminum. I like aluminum because it dissipates heat effectively, and it's light weight. It runs 17500 or AAs right off the bat. With the battery adapters (for $20) it runs AAA and CR123. Alkaline, lithium, Li-ion and NiMH batteries can be used. Even if the QTC poops out and jumps straight to full output, the low output and runtime of a drained AA battery can't be beat. The throw of the narrow optic is impressive for a tiny light.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok well after looking around, the American made is hard to come by so anything that is a single AA or 14500 light wil work. What about Eagletac?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac's D25A Clicky is a great light and one of my EDC rotation, however it goes direct drive on a 14500 losing most of its lower modes. If want a AA/14500 light a Quark AA2-X with optional 1xAA tube would be your best bet and both could be had for ~$50 on current clearance sales. The new Zebralight SC52 will be probably an even better set-up, on pre-order at the moment, although you will forfeit FourSevens better warranty and customer service.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Yeah, there's a fundamental obstacle to making AA lights in the US. They have to cost more, so to be worth it (value), they have to do more (lumens). AA simply don't have the voltage/energy for big lumens, so most US made lights are or are based on 123 configurations.

braddy

Enlightened
For your EDC, I suggest buying the best possible, with no compromises, and let the chips fall where they may, and leave the "buy American" for your home and tool flashlights, if you are motivated to do that.

To me, the ultimate AAA EDC is the LD01
201151093913142.jpg

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so after thinking about what Braddy said, what you all consider to be the better AA or AAA edc light? Have looked at the Quark Tactical Qta and it has my attention for now.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
If you want a quality flashlight, buy Fenix.
If you want a solid warranty, buy 4Sevens.
If you want both buy Surefire.

...and if you are on a budget, buy something from Shiningbeam.

How about a Fenix LD12?

If you can't quite find what you are looking for, come on back for more info, and if you really want to support American made products,
call your congressman and ask them where they stand on free trade.

...or just sit back and watch the price of oil rise. Chinese companies won't be able to afford to ship to the US forever.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ezeriel I really like your response. I have looked at the LD12 and am considering it. I have browsed through the forum and seen that overall, Fenix and Four Sevens seem to be the two most popular brand of lights with zebralight close to them. I've been paying more attention to how I use my XL50 and believe I'd best be served with a light that you control the modes through the click button so I'm kind of leaning towards one of that style. Out of the three brands I mentioned, what's recommended?