Newbie Needs Help

gwydionjhr

Newly Enlightened
Car guy alert!

Yeah, I'm a car guy, with only a basic knowledge things electrical. I drive a '66 Corvair and I've been working (with major help) on a custom tailight design for my car. We've got the basic PCB layout done, and then I stumbled upon this forum today. I know forums like this have been extremely helpful with things Corvair and I'm hoping the knowledgeable folks here might be able to help me out on LEDs.

Basically, I would like some advice on the brightest, wide viewing angle superflux style LEDs you folks are aware of. How much, where to get them, etc, etc.

Regards,
Joel

gwydionjhr

Newly Enlightened
So you're saying the Lumileds are the brightest, widest viewing angles Superflux style LEDs I can buy?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
depending on which state you reside in I would check before you go nuts putting LED tailights in your car. Some states do not allow after factory taillights on vehicles.. that is ones not designed to original specifications.

pacmanfan

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: Oops, this isn't a thread bashing Jarhead_Newbie... Drat.

/me backs away from thread

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gwydionjhr

Newly Enlightened
I'm not terribly worried about putting these LEDs in, mostly because anything will be an improvement on the 40+ year old design the car came with. Corvairs were available with a "reverse light delete" option. You could save a few bucks by not having any reverse lights. What I'm planning on doing could be viewed as a add-on to a non-exsistant light.

I really would apprecaite some suggestions on where to find a bright, wide angle superflux style LED. I've spent hours and hours searching the net but it gets a little frustrating for two reasons.

#1: The LEDs I find are either listed in lumens or mcd, and I don't know how to make comparisons between the two.

#2: It seems that most of the search engines are bought off these days and you get directed to the same group of pages over and over, and I highly suspect there are more than 4 places retailing LEDs. So I'm slightly exaggerating, but I figure you guys will probably have the skinny on where is a good place to go to.