newbie : recommend a 6p drop in for best flood

Chamele0hm

Newly Enlightened
Hey there, new to the forums and I need suggestions on what drop in would be best for my first project.
I know this question has been asked a billion times, but with so many options out there, and me being a newbie to the different types of emitters, I need your help!

I have an old Surefire 6p that I want to modify for EDC. I plan to bore it out to take a 18650, put in a mcclicky, new lens, bezel, etc.

I'm looking for a drop in that would put out the most lumens possible for a single 18650, with an emitter that is more flood based. Single mode. Runtime is not really an issue.
Ive read great things about the different malkoff dropins but I dont know which would be the best for flood. I read that the triple XPG is really floody, but quite expensive at $160-$200, and optimized for higher voltage than a single 18650. Give me some suggestions! Thanks!

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pure flood & no throw? Get a mule.
More flood & decent throw, get a XM-L2 dropin.
Contact Vinh, he will be able to hook u up with something.

m4a1usr

Enlightened

I have to agree with you, but based upon price. In the last several years there have been an increasing selection of triples from various builders yet I don't think I have seen a topic thread that has done a quantitative analysis of what the OP is seeking. Which still begs the question "Who makes the most lumens OTF triple?"

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Hmm given your needs a Sportech triple cool white is likely the best candidate or even the 219 tripple from sporttec. But runtime will be very short, but there are real power houses!!!!

If you want mule like flood then a Solar force XML2U2 single mode 980 lumen drop in with task light lens (Its a optic like leadlenser use) will offer a very bright mule like flood with decent runtimes of a 18650...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff's XM-L drop-ins are intende to be used with three CR123s or two Li-Ion cells. They will not work with a single 18650. Luckily, two 18350s can be used in a bored 6P to acheive the required voltage level.

Nailbender, and likely Vinh, reflectors are wider and deeper than Malkoff refletors, so the spot is more concentrated, and therefore the beam is less "floody".

I personally run a Nailbender XM-L2 drop-in in a 6P behind an Oveready frosted lens on my HD shotgun. This gives a beam pattern that's even floodier than a Malkoff M91AW. An M91 behind a frosted lens gives a truly huge hotspot, with more even edge to edge brightness than the Nailbender.

Alternatively, DellSuperman's recommendation of a mule is the epitome of floody goodness.

Chamele0hm

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody! I just placed my order for the sportac triple xp-g2 cool white. Along with an overready crenulated bezel ring, mcclicky kit, and a pocket clip. Can't wait for everything to get here so I can start my first mod project!