Newest Jetbeam RRT-0 and Jetbeam TCR2 Comparison

Z

z_Richwouldnt

I just received the new continuously variable intensity version of the Jetbeam RRT-0 from Bugoutgearusa, including the AA adapter. I also have the Jetbeam titanium TCR2 which was Jetbeams first continuously variable output light. Here is a comparison.

The RRT-0 is about 3mm shorter overall but has the same shape and style as the TCR2 except for the machining of the grip area. The RRT-0 has a knurled surface while the TCR2 has a machined large diamond pattern. As received the RRT-0 did not include a pocket clip though it has mounting holes for a bolt on one. The Nitecore accessory Titanium clip for the EX11 and IFE1 fits perfectly on the RRT-0 body. I have already installed one. It is identical in size and appearance to the clip included with the TCR2.

User interface of the two lights is identical in all respects including the hidden SOS function. The manual with the RRT-0 is the old one for the discrete output levels version and it does not mention either the strobe or SOS function on the new light. The SOS function is accessed by turning the magnetic ring from below maximum to maximum and back to a lower output 3 times as quickly as possible. Once in SOS mode it can be left by turning the light off and on again or turning the ring to the standby detented position and then back to on. The ring does allow intensity adjustment while in the SOS mode. Strobe is reached by turning the ring past the detented standby position.

The RRT-0 AA adapter received with the new light does fit the TCR-2 though the surface finish color and material difference makes it look a bit strange. I tried it with a 14500 battery on the TCR2 and things worked perfectly.

I ordered the smooth reflector version of the RRT-0 and see no sign of a donut hole or green tint to the light output in my sample. LED centering appears to be fine. Color on my RRT-0 is a cool white where the TCR2 LED is a bit warmer color.

Operation of the magnetic ring is smooth and with just enough resistance to operation IMO. Overall it is excellent feeling.

I have also just ordered the new NiteCore Infilux IFE2 which is again supposed to have the identical user interface to both lights here and I will be updating this report when it arrives.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Richwouldn't, I just received my TC-R2 today.

It is rated at 310 lumens, but from several meters away, the central spot seems a little larger, much less intense, and yellower than my RRT-1 R5 rated at 300 lumens.
Can I ask how your TC-R2's beam rated at 310 lumens compares to your RRT-0? Is your RRT-0 R2 or R5?
Is your warmer TC-R2 a little brighter than your RRT-0???
I wish the TC-R2's beam was whiter.

But we do seem to agree that the TC-R2's S2 is a little warmer?
I find that my TC-R2 S2 beam looks exactly like the 3rd photograph in this superb CPF article below:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tbeam-TC-R2-and-Sunwayman-Ti-V10R-PHOTO-HEAVY!

egrep

Enlightened
great review, thanks. I've got the V10R (S5) and the RRT-0 (R2) and I sure do like 'warmer' lights. I may just pick up the TCR2 based on your review.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Richwouldn't, I just received my TC-R2 today.

Seeing that this new bunch of TC-R2 has just turned up after being sold out at so many places for a while now what numbers are you guys getting out of the 500 ?
Just interested that's all as I just got one from my supplier and it was a very low number 11 out of 500 if yours are also low they must of kept a few of the very first run.

I wish the TC-R2's beam was whiter.

I agree if we can work out how to get the head inserts out of these JETBeam lights I could swap my RRT-0 head insert into the TC-R2 as I like the R5 better. I was trying to remove the head insert from my PC25 & 3M XM-L light but gave up before a damaged them.
cheers

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted my wife to get the Sunway V10R Ti over the TC-R2, because the V10R Ti is more feminine: more compact, parallel sides [fewer bulges in your pocket], lighter, and smoother to hold.
However, she insisted on the more masculine TC-R2, thinking that it's Ti finish was brighter.
She got 266 out of 500 from www.ledtorches.com.au.

At first, her TC-R2 was okay.
Ti finish is great - like a wrist watch - no way will she carry a black or dark grey flash light around.

After a while I got picky.
It's really really heavy - a chore to carry.
The polished Ti surface becomes greasy and slippery in the hand after a while, so that when you press the clicky, the whole tube will slide through your hands a little, even disengaging the loose magnetic ring!
The Ti feels hard in the hand, and cold too! Takes several minutes to heat up, then only a little warm.
The TC-R2 has a big, but warm yellow hotspot, and bright sideway spill.
Actually, on it's own, the TC-R2's beam looks cool white!
It's only when I compare the TC-R2's beam back to back with an RRT-2 R5 that the TC-R2's beam looks warm yellow!

So I ordered an RRT-0 S2.
The aluminium is feather light! So much easier to carry.
The HAIII annodised surface is lightly textured so it is NOT slippery!
The magnetic ring on the RRT-0 S2 is so tight and well made; on close inspection, the RRT-0 and the TC-R2 look similar, but part for part, are not identical - hence the superior tighter magnetic ring on the RRT-0 S2.
The RRT-0 S2 has a slightly shorter travel tail end switch, to the TC-R2.
The beams are completely different!
Despite the 260 lumen rating and the more efficient 1 hour run time, the RRT-0 S2 has a brighter and whiter cool white beam!!!
The TC-R2 S2 with it's 310 lumen rating and more inefficient 35 minute run time on Panasonic primary disposables, has a warm yellow hotspot that seems to be less efficient - so it doesn't look as bright!
The RRT-0 S2 also has an all cloth/fabric lanyard, which initially seems cheap to the TR-R2's metal clip lanyard, however the all cloth/fabric lanyard allows the RRT-0 S2 to tail stand!
The only downside to the RRT-0 S2 is the cheap pocket clip!
The other downside is that the RRT-0's aluminium heats up really quickly - say 30 seconds even, certainly 1 minute - and it gets quite hot compared to the Ti.

Overall, I like the RRT-0 S2 over the TC-R2 S2.
If I'm not wrong, the TC-R2 is an older design than the RRT-0 S2.
If the TC-R2 had the seemingly newer brighter cool white emitter with modest 260 lumens and a longer run time of 1 hour on Panasonic primaries, then the contest would be much closer, but even then, the Al has the edge over the Ti which initially looks like expensive jewelry...

egrep

Enlightened
Great comparison, thanks!

I want(ed) the TC-R2 to be the Ti version of my RRT-0 S2. Seems it's not. That would bum me out. Them being in low supply makes it attractive however. I'm enjoying 'pimping out' my V10R with a Ti AA extender and tritium tailcap. I'm not seeing a lot of that going on with the TC-R2 so I question it's resale value. I'm still hedging... Likely will pass.

I'm pretty well fixated on infinitely variable lights with lego options and 'hidden' disco modes. I want them , just hidden. The RRT-0 is my new benchmark. My RRT-0 S2 is going to be my full time EDC.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two biggest gripes with TC-R2.
1) Jb should not have used warm yellow tint, coz it looks more inefficient and dimmer!
2) Jb should not have driven the TC-R2 circuit hard, to increase output from 260 to 310 lumens, but dropping the battery life from a 1 hour to just 35 minutes!

My wife should have listened to me and gotten the Sunway V10R Ti: smaller, lighter, parallel sides with compact head, smoother body [the TC-R2's grip/knurling is too abrasive], 1 hour run time, yet modest 210 lumens with cool white tint may be just as bright as TC-R2???
It's really hard to buy on-line, because you can't test flashlights like in department stores.
Nevermind - she's not fussy; I'm the fussy one...

I'm looking forward to buying these lights in XM-L, but I'll have to be really careful, coz d XM-L's seem to have a huge yet much less white hot spot - great flood, but much diminished throw - so what's the point in upgrading???

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
peterharvey73;3685403 She got 266 out of 500 from [URL="http://www.ledtorches.com.au" said:
www.ledtorches.com.au[/URL].

I thought I was fussy :laughing:

As with all my Ti JB's I do not use them for EDC's I use the standard ones for that.

I see you got it from LED torches did yours have any marks on it from new ?

There was a post on here (CPF) somewhere that a member got a TC-R2 from them and it had some bad scratches on it. When I was looking for one I sent them a message that I was after the TC-R2 asking if they could check and make sure it was perfect with no scratches. They sent me back an email just stating that they had them in stock.
I took that as them saying In other words you get what you get.
So I went elsewhere they lost out big time as I am now on my 17th Jetbeam torch and got a TC-R2 locally, cheaper and number 011 out of 500 :naughty:.

They did me a big favor as I am so happy with the guys I get my lights from now. I knew I was onto a winner when the guy asked me if I was a Flashaholic. After admitting I was they now look after me big time. Testing and hand picking my new JB's for me.

A fine example was my new RRT-2 R5 they sent me out two showing me how the same light can differ slightly in production one was a little cooler than the other but the center hot spot was also very pronounced on the cooler one and it also had a smoother beam only slightly. But it's good to know I will be getting the best of the bunch.
A little service was all I was asking for but it turned out for the best anyway.

cheers

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think ledtorches.com.au is a little less flashaholic than the others.
However, if you are persistent and you email again, you will get through.
Some of the other sites are a bit lazy at times too; we must be a little "persistent".
Sometimes, I have to actually ring them.
I prefer OP for a cleaner beam, and I'm happy with a slight loss of throw, however when I ask many on-line dealers, often they don't get back to me.
Ledtorches.com.au give excellent prices; they force others like ledtorchshop.com.au - who in turn force new-protech.com.au - to become competitive.
Eg right now, the CPF recommended flaghip flashaholic Pila IBC Charger is just A$55 including Express Postage at ledtorches.com.au!

As for the titanium - I am picky - I find Ti disappointing.
I suspect the titanium body is cut from a billet [chunk] of titanium, with a diamond cutter.
The titanium body is then polished.
Here comes two problems.]

(1)
If you look hard at your TC-R2, the titanium cut-outs in the bodywork styling are poorly polished - or can't be polished at all.
Therefore, Sunwayman is smart with it's V10R Ti - all their cut out sections are "short" and "narrow" grooves - so that the unpolished surface is not very visible.
On the TC-R2, Jb hasn't been very clever, the head has large semi-eliptical cut-outs, and the magnetic ring has large cut-outs - which can't and are not well polished at all!
I suspect this is a problem with all TC-R2's.
The rest of the TC-R2's body is beautifully polished, and very slippery to hold because of that.

(2)
Here comes the second issue.
Because titanium has a smooth polished surface, it is very sensitive to scratches.
Because annodised aluminium has a matt finish, these tiny scratches are not evident.
If you look very hard at the polished surface, you will see "tiny" scratches all over the surface of the titanium! Only tiny. Must look close - else you won't see any scratches at all.
There are NO large or deep scratches at all - unless you scratched it by accident yourself.

Scientifically, polished titanium is NO match for conventional polished chrome plating, eg chrome plated cutlery, and taps in the kitchen and bathroom!
Chrome plating is far a harder surface and more scratch free.
Look hard - do you see tiny little scratches on your titanium surface?

If Jb ever did another Ti flashlight, I encourage them to keep the cut-outs and gaps narrow - to conceal the unpolished grooves and cut-outs surfaces like the clever Sunwayman V10R Ti.
As for the polished surface of titanium, and the tiny micro-scratches on the surface?
Well all Ti flashlights must accept this!
My Jap Citizen wrist watch had these scratches on it's polished chrome surface too.
I guess one way to avoid these scratches in the first place is to do what Rado wrist watch does with their polished surfaces - make them out of ceramic! However, if you drop your flashlight, the ceramic may shatter?
Al is still my favourite, because I carry in pocket without keys, and I don't drop - else lots of scratches and dents...

fyrstormer

Banned
I wanted my wife to get the Sunway V10R Ti over the TC-R2, because the V10R Ti is more feminine: more compact, parallel sides [fewer bulges in your pocket], lighter, and smoother to hold.
However, she insisted on the more masculine TC-R2, thinking that it's Ti finish was brighter.
Whaaa? Your wife got the light she prefers and that's a problem? Okay...

I would dispute the "femininity" of the V10R vs. the "masculinity" of the TC-R2, but it's silly to assign arbitrary genders to inanimate objects in the first place. I owned both lights at one point, and I thought the design of the TC-R2 was more visually interesting and the clip was a lot better. I gave away the V10R and bought a spare TC-R2 in case I ever lose the first one I got.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would dispute the "femininity" of the V10R vs. the "masculinity" of the TC-R2, but it's silly to assign arbitrary genders to inanimate objects in the first place.

I own both the TC-R2 and the V10R Ti.
Masculine or feminine styling - it's only a helpful description [a simile/metaphor] as one tries to put their thoughts into words.
Perhaps describing the TC-R2's styling as muscular/athletic, and the V10R Ti's as more conservative/gentlemanly - may be more helpful?
Or the TC-R2 is like a pair of Nikes, where the V10R is like a pair of Florshiems?
Sure, a description like this is very debatable...

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
IMO, the TC-R2's design is more refined, not so much because of its shape but because of its effectiveness. My issues with the V10R were:

- The sharp angles hurt my leg when I sat down with the light clipped onto my pocket;
- The control ring was harder to find immediately because it didn't stand out from the rest of the light; either a different physical shape or a different surface finish would've helped;
- The control ring doesn't have a friction device to keep it from rotating freely, only sticky grease to slow it down some;
- The clip allowed the light to sit entirely inside my pocket, leaving no little nub sticking out to be grasped easily;

One issue both lights have, compared to my McGizmos, is their tails aren't flared enough to ensure a secure grip even if your hands are wet, cold, numb, etc. I haven't used it in the winter yet, so I'm not sure how much difference that actually makes, but it would be nice to have the extra grip.

I see what you mean about the grooves between the large knurls on the TC-R2 not being polished, but personally I like the contrast in surface finish.

- - -

Since this thread is also about the RRT-0, I'll go ahead and say I also have an RRT-0 and everything I like about the TC-R2 (except for the large knurls) are present in the RRT-0 as well. Definitely a great little light.

EDIT: Pic for proof. :devil:

CIMG4894.jpg

Last edited: