NexNeedle Gets White 5-Watt Luxeon

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Due to the apparent popularity of the Brinkmann 2C NexStar (my Outlook in-folder was up into three digit territory for a while) into which I stuck a 5-watt Cyan Luxeon (dubbed "NexNeedle" while in a drunken stupor), I tried it with a 5-watt White.

Now bear in mind that the original NexNeedle used a 5W Cyan LAMBERTIAN (or High Dome), the focusing ability with which I was not exactly pleased. However, this 5W White is a Side Emitter and I had higher hopes for the combination.

Both lights have 5W White Luxeons, both Side Emitters, both running on 3x123s, the Maglite 2C is on the left, and the NexNeedle is the one on the right (duh!):

fcf729e2.jpg

The back of the NexStar's reflector had to be cut away some to allow emitter/lead clearance for full range of focus, while only the rear-extending post was trimmed from the Mag's reflector, leaving its entire reflective surface intact:

fcf729de.jpg

And finally, the required beamshots, this one with the NexNeedle on the right:

fcf723b3.jpg

Note how the Mag produces a larger hotspot, due no doubt to its larger and differently shaped reflector. But brightness and color tint are due to differences in the Luxeons themselves.

And now the LLS (Lambda Light Saber) shot with NexNeedle on the left this time:

fcf723b1.jpg

You can see that the 5W Luxeon in the NexNeedle is slightly dimmer with more of a green tint. As with 1-watt Luxeons used in the LGIs, it is obvious that careful sorting of the 5-watt Whites will play an important part in producing quality mods.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always said the Mag just needed "a little fix'en up!" to be a great light.... :>) TX

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Right ON!!

Did you take any lux readings yet? ..and is that "greenish tint" noticable to the bare eye or just the camera doing that?

I can't wait to finish my 5W 3/123 mod!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr B, what do you say the run time is if I have 2 6AA packs in a 4 D running in parallel to power a white 5 watt SE?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk, you've found a very compact "5W carrier". Very nice! That takes the 5W into backpacking country in size. And, the nice rubber grip is an important feature for us cold weather people that don't like num fingers.

Appears the secret is in the skillful and accurate trimming of the reflector.

And please, no more outdoor shots with nice green trees in the background; you're making us midwesterners salivate at the thought of such weather!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
txwest - hey, I was trying to make the NexStar look good!

Slick - the Mag "Needle" was in the high 4000's (4700 lux avg) last I checked, so since the Nex was a little dimmer, I didn't bother to meter it. Anyway I think if I swapped Luxeons between them the readings would change accordingly. And yes, this particular Luxeon actually does sport a slightly greenish tint, although it is much less when seen in person. My old Mavica digicam does play tricks like that sometimes.

Nerd - I have no idea. All I know is the 5W mods I've done in the past month or two are all still on the original batteries, whether AA or 123...

Lambda - yes the reflector trimback is, as the English love to say, a "fiddly bit" of work. But nothing the Master (who advised yours truly on making his first few) isn't already doing in his sleep...folks, in case you didn't know, Lambda has even made focusable LS mods from LOW Domes. Talk about precision reflector work...