Next true leap in LED technology - when?

LedTed

Enlightened
Hello fellow LED geeks,

I was wondering when the next new huge advance in LED technology is going to happen.

To clarify, I'm not just referring to a change in substrate to something used before; like gallium.

Also to be more clear, I'm not just referring to an increase in efficiency; W/Lm.

Lastly, to be as clear as possible, I'm not just referring to component packaging.

I'm thinking (hoping) for something like Nano-Light Emitting Diamonds doped to have the characteristic of Quantum Photon properties.

Can anyone share a paper or link?

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Considering every interesting LED release gets put on CPF whether relevant or not, I suggest a search. We get inane threads like this all the time. I suggest doing some research.

Semiman

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep an eye on ledmagazine now known as solidstatelightingdesign.com they have a lot of good upcoming info on all things led.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering every interesting LED release gets put on CPF whether relevant or not, I suggest a search. We get inane threads like this all the time. I suggest doing some research.

Semiman

While I commend you for commending cpl to the author for further reading. And I understand your fear of many posts like this:

1. I bet he did research. It is always easier to google than post. 12 years ago, maybe not. Arrogant to think otherwise.
2. Had you done research, I bet you could have given useful links like qwerty. Why post if you don't have useful info?
3. I bet if you ask this 12 times a year to even one expert, you just might hit a month with the unexpected reply.
4. There aren't enough people awake enough to possibilities of leds that aren't already enlightened to be worried of a flood of these requests. So relax.
5. The fact you clicked on the link for his post, tells me that you, like me, you were curious if someone bright or creative might venture to speculate on some new, unpublished possibility or theory.
6. I am just personally am instinctively turned off by obfuscating, arrogant, or superior mindsets and manipulations, which the lawyer and President John Adams thought to be biggest enemy of the young republic. If you can't make it clear, you have no grasp. Hardly ever the case.

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
Keep an eye on ledmagazine now known as solidstatelightingdesign.com they have a lot of good upcoming info on all things led.

Good suggestion. Most of LEDs Magazine is dedicated to applications, but there are occasional articles about LED technology itself.

To follow the fundamental physics that may lead to next-generation light sources, subscribe to Nature Photonics and/or Nature Materials. Just keep in mind that most of what you read there will never pan out, no matter how promising it sounds. For example, ten years ago, quantum dots were going to solve all problems: tunable emission spectrum (and thus CRI 100), near-100% efficiency, and so on. They have been a total bust. The only actual lighting application thus far is as a marginally better phosphor coating for blue LEDs. Real breakthroughs are just incredibly rare.

znomit

Enlightened
I was wondering when the next new huge advance in LED technology is going to happen.
I'm thinking (hoping) for something like Nano-Light Emitting Diamonds doped to have the characteristic of Quantum Photon properties.

Is that even an LED?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get a tec snippet e-news feed and the thing I see almost everyday is major advances in LiIon capacity using carbon nanotubes and 3d Matrix anodes and other things I don't understand. Not an LED but that will effect our flashlights if they can run twice as long or deliver power 4 times as fast!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get a tec snippet e-news feed and the thing I see almost everyday is major advances in LiIon capacity using carbon nanotubes and 3d Matrix anodes and other things I don't understand. Not an LED but that will effect our flashlights if they can run twice as long or deliver power 4 times as fast!

Not to take this too far off-topic, but the RC folks really seam to drive Li-ion development, now it appears to be electric cars. Looks like we're starting to get "in-between" D size & 1/2 D size batteries & different chemistries. (hmm spelling). To me it seems that the batteries and LEDs seem to leapfrog - along with the custom mod guys doing the HEAT SINKING to really drive the current LEDs. So - less w/lm will help both the current draw & battery requirement.

Anyway - to me right now it's tint, tint, tint. Don't give me a very flat (no depth perception) sold LED. I can get ~1500 lumens in a 6P sized light - but don't let it turn on in your holster or pocket!!