• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nextgen, what's happening?

Rebus

Enlightened
Nextgen, what\'s happening?

I've been away from this forum for a while
and have lost track of latest developements.
Could someone give me a short catch-up on
the Nextgen moduals. I've been gone since
the MM Lite came out.

Thanks,
-Rebus

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nextgen, what\'s happening?

From what I know, the NexGens are more efficient versions of BadBoys, and what I think is an important change is the loss in heat that is produced when using the NexGen. The BadBoys as you probably know generate a heck of a lot of heat so a version that eliminates most of it is pretty darn good in my opinion. Thats the most I can know.

Rebus

Enlightened

Thanks, Mags despiser

Are there versions with different current
draws and are run times better because of
better efficency?

-Rebus

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep. They are very bright. Really a compromise between brightness and runtime. But I am not really such an expert. I just know that there are different current draws, they are more efficient. I dont own one so I cant tell you very much about them.

knifebright

Enlightened

Yup there are different currents. Just like the badboy it can be set all over the place. However about 700 or so you wont get full regulation from one primary cell. It works in a safe mode which is kind of like a madmax or other voltage regulator. It's actually a really nice feature though some others may disagree. However please note that unlike the badboy you cannot run a luxV off of a nexgen as it can not handle voltage that high. I believe the cut off is 6 volts or so.
jimmy

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rebus
There should be some run time plots on McGizmo's website of the NexGen and regular BB.

mut

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rebus,

As explained above, the NexGen is the latest iteration of boost converter from Wayne. For me, the greatest benefit of the NexGen is the heat, or lack thereof, generate by the converter itself.

It is probably the best choice of converter among the MM, BB, and NexGen. It is also more efficient than the BB or MM, so you'll get a bit of extra runtime.

For single cell applications in small lights with small reflectors or chopped optics, I'd say that 500mA is probably the best compromise between runtime and output. I don't know how many lights I've built using this converter, but it's a lot, and I can say that they run very nicely.

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
From what I know, the NexGens are more efficient versions of BadBoys, and what I think is an important change is the loss in heat that is produced when using the NexGen. The BadBoys as you probably know generate a heck of a lot of heat so a version that eliminates most of it is pretty darn good in my opinion. Thats the most I can know.

[/ QUOTE ]

After all the arm waving, jumping up and down, genuflecting, gyrations, back slapping, and bed partners, in the end game, thats it. Basically an efficient converter produces nearly no heat.

In a converter, losses show up as heat.

Wanna guage how efficienct a converter is? Put your finger on it.

For comparisons sake just keep in mind that you want to be testing them at the same output levels.

These later generation of converters are much more efficient than past and some other converters. Some converters produce nearly the same amount of heat as the Luxeon does, especially at high current levels. Other converters, like the NextGen produce only a small fraction of the heat. So, in the end, the more efficient converters produce less heat, which means there is less loss, which means you get more runtime.

On top of this, the Luxeon is more efficient when it is cooler. So, if the converter produces less heat, the Luxeon produces more light, so then you need less power to get to the same brightness.

It's like a triple whammy.

But wait. Furthermore, the color of the light output shifts with more heat, so if you utilize a more efficient converter, then you produce less heat, and thus less color shift.

Now we are at a Quadruple home run.
-Longer run time
-Less heat
-More light
-Less color shift

Score!

Rebus

Enlightened

Thanks for the info guys,
I guess I need to upgrade
from my MM.