Nextorch Trek Star headlamp (XP-E R2, 5mm red, 3x AAA) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
2qdx36q.jpg

20szy93.jpg

Nextorch latest addition to their headlamp line-up, is the Trek Star. This small, lightweight headlamp has three leds in total. One white XP-E R2 led from Cree, and two red 5mm leds.
The Trek Star runs off 3x AAA (alkaline/ni-mh) batteries, and has a max output of 140 lumens.

The packaging:

2iac0nr.jpg
iyh01s.jpg

2mhwyt2.jpg
nez6n7.jpg

The Trek Star comes on a cardboard sheet, with specification written on it. Because there is no plastic covering the light, you can try it in store. Always a good thing to test and try before buying :thumbsup:

Besides included Nextorch AAA batteries, there are no further included accessories. My sample even didn't include a manual.

Features and Specifications: (given by Nextorch)
• Bulb:1x Cree White LED, 2x Red LEDs
• Modes:140lm / 75lm / 6lm / 4lm red light / SOS
• Runtime:4h30min / 12h / 150h / 54h
• Battery:3*AAA (included)
• Distance:60m / 196.85ft
• Material:ABS+PC
• Weight:49g/1.72oz (without battery)

MSRP: €12,75 (~ USD 14)

pup75.jpg
i4pu8g.jpg

2mmfkhl.jpg
2gxrccw.jpg

2mdjaer.jpg

The Trek Star has a little heatsink at the back, to cool the light when using for a longer time period.

2z8nafs.jpg

Inserting the batteries can be done from either side of the light. On the headband you'll find a small flat plastic tap to unscrew the plastic screw. Because it's a plastic screw, I do expect to wear out quickly when you use
this headlamp a lot. Therefor I recommend unscrewing the metal screw on the other side. Do be careful thought, the switch is also located there and it looks not that sturdy.
Polarity indication are on both sides of the headlamp.

5v4xs1.jpg
mukdo9.jpg

2i7yfqr.jpg

User Interface:

Because the light came without a manual, I'd to try and see for myself. The Trek Star should also have a mode memory, but since there is no manual, I've no clue how it works.

From Off, press once to turn On. It (always) turn On in High. Keep pressing the switch to cycle between High > Med > Low > Red mode.
From Off or On, press and hold for 3 seconds to enter SOS. To exit SOS, just press the switch again.

1fckmf.jpg
2j1qtsi.jpg

The headlamp is detachable. It's held securely by a plastic clamp. You can angle the light 100 degrees up and down, to adjust the beam. You do need to strap it tightly onto your head, when adjusting the beam angle.
Multiple times I'd the clamp tilting when I wanted to adjust the angle. When strapped tightly, it stays onto your head. Because it's a lightweight lamp, a top-strap isn't needed.

The lettering on the headband is made of a rubber Glow In The Dark (GITD) material. Does need some charging before it actually works.

2dhtauw.jpg

2vsrdxz.jpg

Size comparison:

2ahhc02.jpg

(From L to R: Fenix HL10, Nextorch Trek Star, Fenix HL30)

Indoor Beamshots:
ISO400, 1/10 sec, f/11.0 - Canon 500D. Light approx 0.50m / Camera 1m away from wall. Trek Star on included batteries, other(s) on Duracell ni-mh HR6/DC1500

11r6c7n.jpg
2qs6hcj.jpg
11ifmgm.jpg
2w3vog0.jpg

14336844001652996.gif

Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO800 - f/11 - 4 sec. - Canon 500D - Sign about 30 meters away. Path about 125 meters deep.

jhfqe1.jpg
mlqmpi.jpg

As you can see, the HL30 has a much wider beam and is noticeably brighter. It lights up more in front of you, but throws slightly less.

Conclusion:

This Trek Star is hard to beat. But that's mostly because of his MSRP. For less than 20 bucks, you get a great light which has multiple modes and even a red light mode.
Red light is specially handy at night, when you need to read but don't want to loose your night-vision. Biggest downside of this light, is the plastic screw. I expected that it will wear our
quickly. A big plus is that you can easily detach the light from the headband, and use it as a handheld light.

The Trek Star was provided by Nextorch for review.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen this light being sold under a different name. Can't recall what that name was but it was cheaper than this. The name certainly wasn't one accidental transposed word away from a law suit