HDS NI-AL-Bronze and 464 Naval Brass HDS going on sale...

I

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Brass emitter breakdown for those with an interest:
NB35 11
NB40 6
NB45 8
NC57 2
Dark Adaption Red 1

Is this what went into the lights that were ordered, or is this what is still left over?

Johnnyh

Johnnyh

Enlightened
The Bronze Rotaries looks amazing :twothumbs:bow:

Hope it will not take too long until my babies reaches me. It is always a loooooooooooong travel to me for every HDS light.:mecry:

I think it will be worth the wait, Warrior!
If it’s possible to fall in love with an inanimate object, I might have...I’ve been carrying and fondling this light for 3 days straight! Wacky!
As a bonus , the improvement in the rotary tailcap is (to me) quite noticeable. Not sure if it has anything to do with the bronze, but it’s smooth as butter...feels like it requires a tad more force to turn than the others I have but for me, that’s a plus. Anyways, hope it gets there in good time. Congrats and enjoy!

maukka

maukka

Enlightened
Those are stunning! But what's up with the shoddy knurling? My Al is perfect, but those look very uneven and even different depths between the body, head and tail.

Modernflame

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Looks good to me. I certainly wouldn't kick a red metal HDS rotary out of bed on account of the knurling.

thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Those are stunning! But what's up with the shoddy knurling? My Al is perfect, but those look very uneven and even different depths between the body, head and tail.

I see what your talking about. Might be the light tho.

Johnnyh

Johnnyh

Enlightened
The imperfections in the knurling on my example are this: The knurling on the body seems to be slightly shallower than the head and tailcap. I’m certainly not concerned with it. Some might say that a light that costs this much should not have imperfection...I don’t know...maybe...Non issue for me.

One thought....Benjamin Frelux made two Synergy 1 lights a few months ago that have a center section machined of Al-Bronze. He stated then he won’t make any more due to having difficulty dealing with “inclusions” in the material. Maybe Henry’s machinist found the same difficulties and this was a limitation? Who knows...it’s still a thing of beauty to me!

C

calypso699

Newly Enlightened
The imperfections in the knurling on my example are this: The knurling on the body seems to be slightly shallower than the head and tailcap. I’m certainly not concerned with it. Some might say that a light that costs this much should not have imperfection...I don’t know...maybe...Non issue for me.

One thought....Benjamin Frelux made two Synergy 1 lights a few months ago that have a center section machined of Al-Bronze. He stated then he won’t make any more due to having difficulty dealing with “inclusions” in the material. Maybe Henry’s machinist found the same difficulties and this was a limitation? Who knows...it’s still a thing of beauty to me!

Jeff from Okluma also stated he won’t be making anymore lights from bronze due to difficulty in the machining process.

Ozythemandias

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the machinist found bronze too hard to work with hows he’s going to deal with Ti?

Johnnyh

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Interesting...Jeff at Okluma seems to put out some very fine machined titanium yet finds al-bronze difficult...if that’s the case, maybe there’s some property of the stuff that makes it so. Any metallurgist out there?

WarriorOfLight

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until now I only know the pictures that are posted here. It seems like bronze is a metal alloy that is not that easy to handle. I also recognized this knurling imperfections. When Hogo posted pictures of parts from all 3 special materials runs I recognized that the bronze parts had this. The brass and titanium looked normal for me.

But from my side I can not wait until my special material lights are in my home. I also have the feeling I will like my bronze HDS. Until now I do not have bronze lights at all. I only have aluminium and a few titaniums.

When I have my lights I will post a few detail pictures.

Hogokansatsukan

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am as much a metallurgist as I am a unicorn that farts rainbows... that being said...

There is definitely some trait the bronze has that creates special problems with knurling.

Henry and I spent a good long time discussing knurling on Monday, and what we might do in the future. Probably keep the standard knurling we have on the lights, but may offer different knurling in the future on some special runs. We are still discussing it.

As for the bronze, we won't be making any more of those ever again. So, the 21 that were sold... plus Henry's and mine, are the only ones that will ever exist. Henry and I still don't even have ours yet... too busy pushing the others out right now.

Last edited:
WarriorOfLight

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@hogo
Thanks for the explanation :thumbsup: Than the Bronze HDS will be something "extremely very super duper special".

But at all, I now speak for myself only, I am very curious on how the patina will looks like after some time. I will not use anything to speed up the patina process. Therefore my bronze HDS is more a long time shot. The overall beauty is finished in a couple of years when the patina is kind of old...

Regarding knurling:
I always liked the knurling of the Titanium Clicky!

Last edited:
thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Wait, So if I’m understanding this right the knurling does look like that on the production parts? With the imperfections ? I was serious when I said it might be the ambient light messing with the pictures?

Nichia!

Nichia!

Banned
So expensive and not so perfect after all

RCS1300

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the bronze, we won't be making any more of those ever again. So, the 21 that were sold... plus Henry's and mine, are the only ones that will ever exist.

With the stroke of a pen (keyboard in this instance), the asking price for a Bronze HDS flashlight in the used market just increased.

Last edited:
nbp

nbp

Flashaholic
Wow, this crowd turns on you quickly, even people who haven’t seen one in person and didn’t buy one!

peter yetman

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:clap:

This is a quote from greenLED in 2009, plus ca change....

Funny how CPF'ers tend to make a huge fuss over unconfirmed/unverified things that end up being non-issue when the real world feedback comes in. ...and yet, some will continue to complain about it.
:p

P

Last edited:
thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
No not turning at all. sure there great. When I saw The picture with the knurling that looked like is was funny looking and kinda not matched I thought it was because of lighting. Now people are saying that that’s what it looks like. That fine and your right I have not seen one in person. I’m sure the knurling on them is perfect.