• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia 365nm UV Light offerings (NEW 5-12-17)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Nichia 365nm Light offerings

Has anyone ever tried this UV LE in a Makai head? Just wondering.

I just put a UV LE in a Makai head and checked it out. You get a very tight and intense pencil beam of UV light.

LarsB,
Thanks for posting that link! Interesting and informative.

samuraishot

Enlightened

Thanks for running the test :) does it also have any amount of spill like other emitters or is it solely the beam you described?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Thanks for running the test :) does it also have any amount of spill like other emitters or is it solely the beam you described?
It does have spill but it's spot is so much brighter relative to it.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi Don,
Can you put the uv led on the aa converter?
Thanks
Dave A

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Hi Dave A,
Yes I can use the AA converter. the max current will be 300 mA which will still give you a good amount of UV light. I recently purchased some more of these UV LED's and they have improved on the output; 455 -495 mW at 500 mA. So even at 300 mA these new LED's could be putting out as much or more UV than the older LED's did at 500 mA.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

Would the Haiku be best for Norland curing? I also want the Haiku for looking for creatures In the vast empty openness, and complete desolation of the desert, I think I will skip the Hotel rooms....

Say, if we get busted for something, could we use them in jail? Just to check how clean the authorities keep things?

President GW Bush could have used one of these in the early days of his administration! Giving the OO a good sweep. Hey! I am Presidential historian, why would I not think of that? (With apologies to my friend President Clinton).

Last edited:

guambred

Newly Enlightened

I'm, looking for a decent UV light for ship/container, aircraft inspections. We have had a rash of invasive species here on our island and a good reliable UV light might well be a great tool for inspections. Oftentimes we have only two officers to a ship, so I am looking for something easily carried on my duty belt, long floody throw, most ship holds are lit so I would have to have something with a bit of power. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

archimedes

Flashaholic

I'm, looking for a decent UV light for ship/container, aircraft inspections. We have had a rash of invasive species here on our island and a good reliable UV light might well be a great tool for inspections. Oftentimes we have only two officers to a ship, so I am looking for something easily carried on my duty belt, long floody throw, most ship holds are lit so I would have to have something with a bit of power. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I think the UV Haiku might give you the preferred beamshape for your intended usage.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

If the areas are lit, generally, the uv will have very little range, as surrounding surface brightness will tend to mask the appearance of fluorescence.

If you can turn the lights out for the uv inspection, it will work MUCH better. When I do uv inspection, I kill the other lights if possible.

If there's no switch etc...you can mask the light sources to block their light and make areas dark enough.

HOW dark will be dark enough, for you...will be something you'll get a feel for.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned

Hmmm. I may put some diffusion film in if I get this setup. Maybe widening the spot would be useful. I feel a mule may be too diffuse for norland work etc.
This advice is a year late, but still: I put my UV light engine into a Sundrop XR-U, for a little more focus but not a spot beam like the Haiku would produce.

fyrstormer

Banned

Would the Haiku be best for Norland curing? I also want the Haiku for looking for creatures In the vast empty openness, and complete desolation of the desert, I think I will skip the Hotel rooms....
Don's UV light engines cure Norland so fast it gets hot. I had to use a lower setting to avoid causing bubbles in the Norland.

AlanS

Newly Enlightened

Don, the XR-U UV head showed up yesterday, and it's another jewel - perfect for my needs. Thanks!

Hestbech

Newly Enlightened

Hi McGizmo

Are these still for sale?

Do you make lights on requests, or do you only sell the lights on your list? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mo-Available-Lights-Pricing-and-Ordering-Info

I'm searching for a uv-flashlight to use when i search for amber by the sea. Amber is florescent under uv-light at wavelengths from 320-365. Preferable with the LED Engin LZ1.

My budget is around 250 usd / 220 euro

Cheers from Denmark :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi McGizmo

Are these still for sale?

Do you make lights on requests, or do you only sell the lights on your list? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mo-Available-Lights-Pricing-and-Ordering-Info

I'm searching for a uv-flashlight to use when i search for amber by the sea. Amber is florescent under uv-light at wavelengths from 320-365. Preferable with the LED Engin LZ1.

My budget is around 250 usd / 220 euro

Cheers from Denmark :)

Hi,
I do still offer these but unfortunately the only hosts I offer are titanium and beyond your budget. It is possible that you might find a viable host for the UV light engine in the B/S/T forum like an older aluminum Aleph Mule or there could be some other offerings out there I am unaware of that could use my UV Light Engine. :shrug:

nbp

Flashaholic

I think the Sandwich Shoppe still has Aleph heads. You may be able to cobble one of Don's UV LEs with some older Aleph parts and maybe some Surefire E-series parts. Legos are fun!

Hestbech

Newly Enlightened

I've been searching the forum, but haven't been able to find it. The closest I could find was vinhguyen54 asking witch flashlights we would like to see modded.

Does anyone build flashlights on request?

mattw

Newly Enlightened

I just found this thread... I have a Canon camera body that was modded by LifePixel that is a full spectrum body. I can use band pass filters and work in low IR upto about 975nm and well down into the UV range. I love to work in IR with landscapes but would really like to explore UV and could use an illumination device for macro to near macro work. I would love to find a true 365nm dropin that did not break the bank!