Nichia 8000 mcd white LED review

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
Last week I ordered 20 Nichia S-rank 8000 mcd typ. LEDs.
A short review: The LEDs seems te by brighter then a standard nichia 5600 mcd. They all have a very nice color rendering.
I've sorted the LEDs in different brightness bins: four of them are slightly brighter then a regular nichia, 10 of them are a lot brighter, 5 of them are extremely bright ( +/- 9500 mcd) and one is just insain: This LED has a very purplish color ( A+ color rank) and is extremely bright, it's one of the brightest 5 mm LEDs I ever saw ( I guess It's arround 14000 mcd!!)

Evan

Enlightened
I've been concidering ordering some Nichia White. In my case it is because I like the flat package of the green Nichias I bought from the Led Museum and while everybody sells 5mm LEDs, and a few sell 3mm LEDs, nobody sells the more unusual packages like surface mount, "super oval", or the really neat, very wide angle flat.

Did you buy direct from Nichia? How do you specify you want the 8000 mcd and not the older 4800 or 5600?

yclo

Flashaholic*
Speaking of which, how much usually are SMD leds? And are they essentially the same thing as normal leds without the epoxy housing?

YC

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
I ordered the LEDs from Ebay.de in Germany
They are advertised as : photonen mit rechnung/9500 mcd (or something like that).

Buying LEDs directly from Nichia is just TO expensive!!

SMD LEDs are just the chip on a little plasic case.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
You can specify by Nichia if you want those 8000 mcds by ordering the NSPW500BS-B1S
Those are brightness rank S (the brightest) and color rank B1 (Nice white, not to blue)