Night trekking with McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI **PHOTO Intensive**

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really great photos, Andy. Confirms what many of us already believe - this 'example' of a high CRI light is outstanding, whether in the mule head or the Haiku head! Many have put it into words more eloquent than I am capable of, but there is just an "absence of tint" that allows the natural colors to show through. Your photos are a great demonstration of that.

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

It is what I read here about the "absence of tint" that got me interested in the high CRI McGizmo. I think the Nichia 119T high CRI is the main driving force that pushes me into my first McGizmo. Of course, threads started by you guys are also part of the reason. Let's just say I got "brainwashed". Glad you like this thread.

Thanks for sharing! You're making the wait for my high CRI HDS that much more difficult...
Don't wait. Just get a Haiku high CRI. You may not even want the HDS high CRI anymore when it's out. Not that HDS is horrible or any inferior, but rather the Haiku is more than capable of handling most of the situation you may throw it to.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Pjandyho,

Thanks for another superb High CRI trekking photo thread! I always love to see real-world lighting in the outdoors, as opposed to white wall beamshots. I especially like the photos of the Mule HCRI, it seems like a flood of sunlight in your hands!

Once again, we appreciate your contribution to the CPF community!
Woodentsick

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pjandyho,

Thanks for another superb High CRI trekking photo thread! I always love to see real-world lighting in the outdoors, as opposed to white wall beamshots. I especially like the photos of the Mule HCRI, it seems like a flood of sunlight in your hands!

Once again, we appreciate your contribution to the CPF community!
Woodentsick
Thanks! The Mule isn't very bright but is ample for normal use in pretty dark situation. But, reading from your reply in the Quark high CRI thread I doubt you will like it since I believe your preference would be more towards the incandescent tint. I like all the high CRI tints that I have and if you are interested to see a McGizmo in operation, I would be most pleased to meet up with you to show you. :)

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots and impressive lights. I'm now starting to appreciate the whole focus on CRI tint and quality beam patterns. The trouble is that you start looking at your mid-priced lights and begin to notice their inferior beams... ;)
Thanks! I may be adding more to this thread if and when I could do some more comparison on my next trip.
Where do you plan on going?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots and impressive lights. I'm now starting to appreciate the whole focus on CRI tint and quality beam patterns. The trouble is that you start looking at your mid-priced lights and begin to notice their inferior beams... ;)

Where do you plan on going?
If high CRI and simplicity in operation is what interests you, I would urge you to try out the McGizmo High CRI. Much as I love the HDS High CRI, the more neutral tint of the McGizmo makes it a better general use light. It may be a little pricey but well worth the investment.

By trip I mean back to the island for my camping and trekking. I must admit that I have been procrastinating lately and I have a few lights at hand which I would love to do beam shots of but it never got done.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip... McGizmo is way out of my light budget right now. ZL SC52w will have to be the interim light. But I hear you about the investment. I've wasted too much time experimenting with cheaper lights. The good thing is once you get the hang of modding, you can always upgrade an emitter. Seems like the technology keeps getting better. In another year or two, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more optimized tints at affordable prices.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly one month before 17th May 2013, James was diagnosed with liver cancer. He put up a good fight but unfortunately the cancer cells won the fight. He has since left this world on 17th May 2013. May he rest in peace and God bless his soul.

Rest In Peace CPF member tankhan.

Last edited:

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to bump this up and say great post. I do want a Haiku High CRI, and have come close to buying a used one here, but have kept holding back (that and I keep missing the AA versions that pop up). Perhaps one day soon, I'll get one to put next to my XML version. Your post has made me want one even more.