Night trekking with McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI **PHOTO Intensive**

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mule beam looks great. :thumbsup:

Ahhh.... I miss Ubin and OBS.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for these great comparison shots but most of all, thanks for bringing us in trekking trip. It's fall here and trees have lost their leaves, it's great to see some green (... and NOT purple-blue).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Joe and Zeruel, wish you guys could join me to Ubin. Would be fun having more of you around. Currently it is only James and myself who seems to frequent the island. I recently did a series of photo shoots for OBS and I am happy I did not yet own the McGizmo lights. My Quark AA tactical got beaten up from all the drops and abuse but is still functioning. Wouldn't want to beat up my Haiku. My camera was practically soaked everyday either from the rain or from the sea. Overall, it was physically taxing, exhausting, but fun.

derfyled, I can't believe you said that. Before I posted this thread I had thought about how you guys would feel looking at all these greens from a tropical country with no chance of seeing snow the whole year round. Glad you like what you see.

bodhran

Enlightened
Great pics Pjandyho but enough is enough. Because of your pics and opinions, I already have the HDS HCRI clickie and an MD2 with the M61HCRI. Just me..but I like the warm tint of the Malkoff. Now off to the store. Just got a craving for Spam. *s*

Last edited:

davecroft

Enlightened
Nice pic! It's nice to see some greenery - here in the UK we have had a week of grey damp weather - definately no nightime barbecues for a while for me.

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Amazing thread! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this all together. I'm totally impressed with how much the Mule illuminates (the 15 meters ahead of James walking up the trail). I don't think my mule would reach that far . . . need to see what kind of power I have going on there. . . in any case. . . wonderful comparisons!

Bass

Enlightened
Great thread and fantastic images pjandyho :thumbsup:

Love these McGizmo High CRI's !

Shooter21

Enlightened
awesome pics man, im glad i went with the haiku since i can turn it into a mule with my diffuser but you cant turn the mule into a nice thrower like the haiku.

nbp

Flashaholic
C'mon guys, now you're making me feel bad that I traded away my Nichia 119 LE. :sigh:

Now I kinda want one again. I think that I'd like to put it in a SunDrop XR-U head though, for a smooth diffuse beam with a bit more throw. Then I'd have all three beam patterns, Haiku/Mule/SunDrop for different purposes. The nice thing with the Mule and SD too is that you can mix and match LEs without issue. So I could have an XM-L Mule and Nichia SD one day and an XM-L SD and Nichia Mule the next or whatever.... I don't know if I really need two Mules as I have now, although I do love the Mule. Maybe I can sell the EN Mule and neutral XP-G LE in it and try to put together a Hi CRI SunDrop. It seemed that people thought the original SD with the Nichia 083B emitter was the best version but I would sort of like the XR-U for the higher clearance and ability to use different LEs in there if I want. Does anyone have a SD XR-U and a Nichia 119 emitter they can piece together and let me know how the beam looks with that combo? Thanks in advance if that is a possibility. :thumbsup:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Great thread Andy! I really liked the spider pics. Say, that ladybug is brave! That spider could have a nice snack if he'd just watch his six.

I really, really love my CRI mule & haiku. They really are something else. :)

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to echo what others have mentioned, loved your previous night treck thread as well as this one.

Thank you much for the comparison High CRI pics.
How did the Zebralight warms (H60w, H51Fw) fare against the high CRIs?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics Pjandyho but enough is enough. Because of your pics and opinions, I already have the HDS HCRI clickie and an MD2 with the M61HCRI. Just me..but I like the warm tint of the Malkoff. Now off to the store. Just got a craving for Spam. *s*
Well well well... You can always get yourself a Haiku high CRI just to "complete" your high CRI collection. :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing thread! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this all together. I'm totally impressed with how much the Mule illuminates (the 15 meters ahead of James walking up the trail). I don't think my mule would reach that far . . . need to see what kind of power I have going on there. . . in any case. . . wonderful comparisons!
Like I said, you will only appreciate the output of the Mule when there are no other sources of light polluting the scene. When there are plenty of extraneous light sources around the Mule is almost useless. As a room lighter it is superb.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome pics man, im glad i went with the haiku since i can turn it into a mule with my diffuser but you cant turn the mule into a nice thrower like the haiku.
A diffuser on a Haiku is still quite different from what a Mule can give you. Do what I do, get both! :devil:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
C'mon guys, now you're making me feel bad that I traded away my Nichia 119 LE. :sigh:

Now I kinda want one again. I think that I'd like to put it in a SunDrop XR-U head though, for a smooth diffuse beam with a bit more throw. Then I'd have all three beam patterns, Haiku/Mule/SunDrop for different purposes. The nice thing with the Mule and SD too is that you can mix and match LEs without issue. So I could have an XM-L Mule and Nichia SD one day and an XM-L SD and Nichia Mule the next or whatever.... I don't know if I really need two Mules as I have now, although I do love the Mule. Maybe I can sell the EN Mule and neutral XP-G LE in it and try to put together a Hi CRI SunDrop. It seemed that people thought the original SD with the Nichia 083B emitter was the best version but I would sort of like the XR-U for the higher clearance and ability to use different LEs in there if I want. Does anyone have a SD XR-U and a Nichia 119 emitter they can piece together and let me know how the beam looks with that combo? Thanks in advance if that is a possibility. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately Don is out of the XR-U head for now. He will be producing more later so if you wait I am sure you will be rewarded. Maybe you can fit an XM-L in the XR-U instead?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread Andy! I really liked the spider pics. Say, that ladybug is brave! That spider could have a nice snack if he'd just watch his six.

I really, really love my CRI mule & haiku. They really are something else. :)

Let's just say the spider needs a spotter. Ok, lame joke... Indeed the high CRI are something else. Couldn't stop playing with them since I received it. Every night, I will find reasons to use my high CRI lights even though there's no need to.

Just want to echo what others have mentioned, loved your previous night treck thread as well as this one.

Thank you much for the comparison High CRI pics.
How did the Zebralight warms (H60w, H51Fw) fare against the high CRIs?
I believe you mean in comparison to the high CRI Zebralight SC51c? The warm (or rather neutral white) Zebralight like the H51Fw appears a little more yellowish and the H60w and my H501w appears to have a more rosy tint to it.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really great photos, Andy. Confirms what many of us already believe - this 'example' of a high CRI light is outstanding, whether in the mule head or the Haiku head! Many have put it into words more eloquent than I am capable of, but there is just an "absence of tint" that allows the natural colors to show through. Your photos are a great demonstration of that.

Very nice - thanks for sharing!