which let only IR through.

When is a "Night Vision Lens" to be used and when the
IR Filter?

Cheers
Ralf

beastie boar

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ralf,

NV equipment (intensifier tubes) has its highest sensitivity in the near IR spectrum. Whether you put a filter on your flashlight to block IR or to block the other emitted wavelengths simply depends on the intended use.

You might want to block IR when using your flashlight without your NVE to reduce the risk of being detected from greater distances by other players using NVE (of course using a flashlight is not that great of an idea if you're trying to keep a low profile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).
A more practical scenario IMHO in which you'd want to block IR would be if you team up with other ppl using NVE to avoid blinding them at close range when you turn your light on (your NVE is off).

Blocking anything but IR gives you instant additional illumination when needed while utilizing your NVE, but avoids revealing your position to Joe Average. Of course, this won't help to remain undetected by other NVE.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
BB

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blocking IR will not prevent you from being detected either with NV or without. Try using a LED light (which has very little emission in the IR range) with NV equipment and you'll see what I mean. An intensifier is a "photon amplifier" and blocking IR is futile if you're trying to avoid detection by night vision devices. IR and the visible spectrum is magnified by NVD so blocking IR has no utility for use with NVD.

Ralf

Enlightened
CM thats why I could not understand what
purpose the Mag kit should have ...

But a least I am not the only one :)

Cheers
Ralf

Frangible

Enlightened
If you use blue or violet light, it won't be very visible to Gen III tubes, their photocathode has a weak response to those wavelengths. It will still show up strongly for the other generation tubes though.

Latest posts