nightstand and car flashlights

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about that. I brought it up. I was looking for a new light for my nightstand and I typed in nightstand in the search. This thread came up.

I know it's bad form to bring up such an old thread but a) I plead ignorance, it was the first one up and I thought it wasn't that old, and b) since people jumped right on the thread with more info and pics it seems like it's still a good topic.
So, with what should I replace a 3C maglite intended to bonk bad guys and check a storm-blown roof (maybe down a sump)?

Needs to be pretty hefty and appear pretty hefty, needs to see onto a second story roof easily, would be nice to flash in some ne'erdowell's face or at least let him know I'm coming and he should scram. Does NOT need to get me to the bathroom, my daughter's room to check sniffles, to the fridge for a snack, nor find the right color socks without waking my wife up at 4am.

Thanks

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Kramer5150:
I havn't seen that 12V Spotlight with the big head before, is it new? Is it good/better than the small?

In my car I have (the small) 12V spotlight, Streamlight PolyTac LED and a Q mini123 NW. There is also a cheap 3AAA headlamp and the kids have a couple of lights in the backseat.

On my nightstand mostly my Zebralight SC30w

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So, with what should I replace a 3C maglite intended to bonk bad guys and check a storm-blown roof (maybe down a sump)?

There is no "defense" flashlight; it's possible to bring a knife to a gunfight, and possible to bring a gun to a tank battle, but bringing a flashlight to someone who has deliberately forced their way into your house doesn't count as a weapon, at least not compared to what the intruder is most likely carrying. Separate the idea of "weapon" from "flashlight" and you end up with a much better weapon and a much better flashlight.

Does NOT need to get me to the bathroom, my daughter's room to check sniffles, to the fridge for a snack, nor find the right color socks without waking my wife up at 4am.

A good about-the-house flashlight plays more than one role, but can play just the one role if that's what's asked. Spend the few dollars over your asking price for a Quark Tactical, which will fill your "just bright all the time" role perfectly, but will also surprise you with the ability, purely optional, of being low enough to get to the bathroom/check sniffles/etc.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
I know it's bad form to bring up such an old thread but a) I plead ignorance, it was the first one up and I thought it wasn't that old, and b) since people jumped right on the thread with more info and pics it seems like it's still a good topic.

It's all good natured ribbing. :ohgeez:
Personally, I keep a Surefire 6P w/M61 drop-in and a Maratac AAA beside the bed. In the truck is a Mag 2D w/Malkoff XP-G drop-in and a Novatac 120E.

For a little more than $50 you can get a 1.5A Thrunite P60 XP-G drop-in and put it in a Solarforce L2p host. I'm partial to the natural finish myself. You can get good performance for less money, but I'm convinced the little bit extra will pay for itself in durability and reliability.

Another option is to buy "last year's model" flashlight when they go on sale. It's still a great light and often at a significant discount.

ama230

Enlightened
I would like to suggest the maglite xl100. It has the dependability of a typical maglite and its user configurable. It has a specific feature you are looking for. Its called the nite lite feature, when set the light will dim when set down and when picked up again it will resume to full brightness. It will last for an easy 10 days on this feature and has a bunch of other easy modes that are detected by an accelerometer, so it detects motion. No programming its just turning the light left or right and is ambidextrous friendly.

Its also tail-stands and is worth the thirty bucks shipped at amazon.

Please check this one out as i am going to buy my second one for just this very reason.

Hope this helps,
ERic

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nightstand/Headboard: SureFire L1 and a Surefire E1E, with an LF E0-E1R.

In our car, an EagleTac P100C2 w/ Q4 warm tinted LED (until I can get a P100A2 to replace it).