NiMh Battery Shoot Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmike

Enlightened
Would it be wrong to assume that the Titanium 2600s would perform at least on bar with the 2400s in terms of 5A? Trying to decide on what to purchase tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Tom!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello PCMike,

When you assume, you make an *** out of u and me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I really don't know. Based on past performance, I would expect them to be quite good. 5 amps is just under 2C for those cells, and most cells can do 2C without problems. They may be a little "fatter" which may make it difficult to fit into your adaptor.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello PCMike,

C refers to the battery capacity. Multiples of C refer to multiples of the battery capacity.

For example:

A cell may be rated 2600 mAh. If I put a 1C load on it, it would be 2.6 amps. A 2C load would be 5.2 amps, and so on.

Tom

pcmike

Enlightened
Ahh, very good. I gotcha. Thanks for the explaination. I guess the question to answer is has anyone put the Titanium 2600s into a EL 3AAtoD adapter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
For 5 amps I'd go with a high current cell like CPF 1650. Yes, capacity is lower. High current cells construction means lower capacity, there's no way around it. But those cells can even do 20 amps.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Update:

I have added the test results from the X1 cells. Thanks Rick88. He actually sent them to me some time ago and I am finally able to get the information up.

I don't know who makes them, but they seem to do pretty good.

Tom

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
pcmike

The 2500 Sanyo Ind. cells will fit in the EL 3toD holder with no problem.

Later
Kelly

lamperich

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
Just in case the cells Tom tested does not appeal to you and you want to go for a cheapo, do think twice...

Fortunately, they are not mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

pic01.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

i can beat this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

akkumakro2.jpg

This Cells doesn´t have a Voltage after 6 Month of storage
0,000V /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think Overcharging raise self discharge EXTREMLY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

@ SilverFox i would like to see Liionen vs NiMH Voltage Test after 40 Days of storage @ 0,5C and maybe 1C

pcmike

Enlightened
So I guess I should either get Sanyo Industrial 2500 AA cells or Titanium 2600 cells. It's been confirmed the Sanyos will fit in the EL 3AAtoD holders, I just can't seem to find a place to buy them for the life on me.

Tom, when I look at your graphs in regards to the Titanium 2400s and then the Sanyo Industrial 2500s, the Sanyos seem to kick that crap out of the Titaniums. Am I reading these two graphs properly?

Titanium 2400: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/SilverFoxCPF/TitaniumAA2400atVariousRates.gif
Sanyo 2500: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/SilverFoxCPF/SanyoIndAA2500atVariousRates.gif

These Sanyo cells appear to be the best cells at 5A out of all the graphs I've seen. Please reassure me that I'm not reading these wrong. Thanks again, appreciate it. It's all in the learning.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Also, where can I buy these Sanyo Industrial 2500 cells? I don't seem them on battery station, amondotech, etc. What is the code for them (e.g. HR-3U?)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Batterystation has the Sanyo 2500's (HR-3U) but at 5 amps you might consider CBP 1650's. It's sort of marginal.

pcmike

Enlightened
Paul, well I'd really like the extra capacity of the 2400-2600mAh cells. Is this going to be an issue with say Sanyo Industrial cells or the Titanium 2600mAh cells (the 4A draw)? I need to get a straight answer on this particular question because I don't want to buy the wrong cells and have things not work.

I need an answer to the following: WILL Sanyo HR-3U 2500mAh cells work fine at 4A draw? WILL Titanium 2600mAh cells work fine at 4A draw? WILL Titanium 2400mAh cells work fine at 4A?

CBP1650mAh cells just not provide enough capacity for my use, sorry. Thanks for the answers guys, I'll be ordering these cells tomorrow hopefully... just need some answers to the above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for testing the X1 cells! These are just some generic cells I picked up at Fry's electronics - every once in a while they're on sale for something like $8.99 for 4AA + 4AAA with 2 plastic battery holders. One time I've seen them going at 20AA for $20. Just wanted to see how they compare.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello PCMike,

At high current draws, it is my opinion that the first thing to look for is voltage retention. Using this criteria, at 5 amps, the Titanium 2400 cells "kick the crap" out of the Sanyo cells.

The Sanyo cells will last longer, but run at a lower voltage (a bit dimmer).

Tom

pcmike

Enlightened
Alright I did some more number crunching taking into account the voltage retention of the two cells and the three different bulbs I bought. Since the high drain bulbs are @6V (reportedly) and the 1.1A bulb is at 7.2V it looks like I would benefit more from the Sanyo cells. Not by much in terms of runtime on the high drain bulb, but by a modest amount on the 1.1A bulb. Also I'd benefit in the wallet (Sanyo's are about $.30 cheaper per cell). Also it has been reported here that the Sanyo 2500s work in the EL adapters.

With all the data I've gathered I'm going to go ahead and order 20 Sanyo cells. I just pray they fit the adapters that *I* am sent by EL.

Thanks SilverFox for all the raw data and thanks others for all the contributing information. I really appreciate it.

paulr

Flashaholic
You should use a Fivemega adapter. Those EL adapters filled a need when they were introduced, but there's better solutions available now.

pcmike

Enlightened
I called up EL and spoke to I believe Wayne. He said he'd have no problem cancelling, but that if I just wanted to give the holders a try and if it didn't work send them back First Class that would be perfectly acceptable. Considering the EL holders are $3.50/each and I ordered 7 of them ($30 shipped) I think I'll at least give them a shot. We're talking $30 shipped versus AT LEAST $68 for two FM adapters. I've already spent enough money in two days since visiting CPF. I think I'll at least try the EL holders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for your input though, I will definitely keep it in mind when I recieve the EL adapters and can give them a test or see if I like the build. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pcmike

Enlightened
Apparently BatteryStation is out of the Dark Green wrapper Sanyo 2500s. They said they have the same battery in the consumer wrapper. Anyone know if these cells are going to perform just as well as the dark green ones? I'd like to know soon so I can cancel if they won't! Thanks.

Actually, don't worry about it. I trust Kevin. He's assured me they are the same battery just with the fancy wrapper. I should really stop worrying so much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.