NiMh Battery Shoot Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tbone_Ike said:
Has anyone been able to get any 2600mA AA cells? It appears that both AccuPower and Ansmann Energy have them available in Europe currently.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be quite interesting. So far my experience with Ansmann AA cells hasn't been all that positive, so it would be quite interesting to see what their latest offering is like.

My personal favourites are still the Sanyos ... they're great IME.

Hans

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tbone_Ike said:
Has anyone been able to get any 2600mA AA cells?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2600mAh (labelled) I've tested had been far below 2Ah.
Ansmann has changing results, some of their products are not bad, some are not betetr than any cheap nonames.

[ QUOTE ]
wtraymond said:
Has anyone seen this site before. He's done a great job.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, this site is common knowledge around here, but it does not come close to Silverfox' tests .-)

And it is usually far behind the market, it was wuite up to date a few years ago.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi SilverFox
the charts are GREAT, makes me happy to know i bought the right cells :)

I have a question for your CBA
Does it maintain the exact same CURRENT load, when the batteries have dropped in voltage?

When they used a resister pack , type loading, (old style testing), they would put a LOAD on that was a certian initial load (like .1ohm resistance), and as we all know that will reduce in current as the voltage drops.

resister packs are more like direct driving , and not at all like a lot of the curcuits in the newer electroics stuff that is voltage regulated, like some of the digital cameras.

most of the stuff in most of the flashlights drops in current use when the voltage drops, even when it has various current regulators.

so is this thing putting on a specific LOAD by current or by resistance which will change as the voltage drops?

in other words
Is the load more like a DC-DC booster?
or
like a direct driven incadescent or led?

wouldn't a 'perfect' DC-DC booster, try to pull even MORE juice out of the cells as the voltage lowered to maintain the same current?
so them with a great dc-dc current maintaining thing, we would need a cell that really handled the juice especially at the end of its existance.
With a Direct drive, , like say, running Alkalines Direct Drive , as the alkalines drop so to does the load ON them, which can balance thier poor output capacity by reduced need.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Brody,

It is nice to see that other people testing batteries have found the Titanium 2400 cells to be excellent performers. I have just posted my test results on the 2400's as well as the 2000's.

I just happen to agree that they are very good cells and perform very well.

Thanks for the link.

Tom

Brody

Newly Enlightened
I am sure that a big reason the Energizer 2500's did better than the Energizer 2300's is because they were newer cells. Silverfox was just commenting about how big a difference there was between his Energizer 2300 cells, and the ones I sent in.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
davidefromitaly said:
it's unbeliveable that the energizer 2500 are strongest than energizer 2300... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What did I miss? Why is it a suprise that the 2500s run better than the 2300s?

-john

Luna

Enlightened
The cool this is that you can get the energizer 2500 4 Pack at Walmart for around $9.50 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They instaflashed two 1185s (9cells) but if I do a short discharge cycle at 3 amp (just a few seconds) all is well.

So they are hot off the charger but not too bad.

-Craig

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,

Very interesting data on the hot CBP1650. I wonder if that is due to the fact that they are coming directly off-charger or that they are hot. For example. what would you expect to see if you took some rested cells and heated them up (for example, in an air-tight ziploc in hot water) and tested them?

Wilkey

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Wilkey,

It is my humble opinion that heat is heat... However I just happen to have some room on my Schulze isl 6-330d (see the Charger Comparison thread for more details) so I'll charge a couple up and see what happens.

I'll go to full charge, let the cells come back to room temperature (about 30 minutes), submerge them in hot water, then test at 15 amps. Sound good?

Tom

paulr

Flashaholic
Better put the cells in a sealed ziploc bag before submersion. Unless the water is very pure, it may conduct electricity slightly and affect the experiment by partially draining the cells.

paulr

Flashaholic
OK, my Sanyo 2500 mAH cells arrived from Battery Station. If Brody has already sent you some of these, do you still want me to send some? I'm interested in using some of them in a Mag85 so the performance at 3-4 amps is important. I may have to hold out for CBP 1650's if those ever become available again.

I also just got an Energizer 15 min charger with four 2200 mAH Energizer cells and can you those if you want to test them. Also available are the four off-brand 2000 mAH cells that came with my LaCrosse BC-900 charger.

If of any interested, I tested some Powerex (Maha/Thomas Distributing) "1600 mAH" cells on the Lacrosse using the discharge/refresh function. After several charge cycles (it took around 24 hours) they came out at 1150-1200 mah, pretty disappointing. These were several year old cells that I'd bought and then never used.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Paul,

Brody sent me some Sanyo 2500's in a dark green shrink wrap that he marked "Industrial." Does that sound like the same ones you have?

I am just starting on those, so it will be a couple of days before the test results are up.

I do not have an Energizer 15 minute charger. I would love to take a look at it, but would hate to have you suffer withdrawal symptoms... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,

Yes, that sounds fine. I suspect the effect you're seeing is predominantly temperature as well. But it would be great to be able to definitively decouple that from the charge effect.

You're doing great and in some ways thankless work. We're all benefiting from this great influx of information so, thank you!

Wilkey

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Wilkey,

Interesting results...

CBP1650at15ampsatVariousTemp.jpg

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.