NiMh Shoot Out Part II

SilverFox

Silver Moderator
Hello Fillibuster,

I screwed up on my last comment to you...

I have the cells, I just have to find the time to check them out. After I posted my last comment, something didn't seem right with it and I found the cells I am supposed to test.

To many distractions with my job.

Sorry about that.

Tom

crockett

Newly Enlightened
If you mean http://www.calvinstudio.net/?p=472 then (A) it's already been posted, and (B) what's your problem? Camera flashes make light. :sssh:

A) No I was talking about this thread here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=677074

B) I don't understand? No problem at all. I was just reinforcing what a previous poster wrote. It probably is true that the one of best batteries for these LED flashlights is the Sanyo Eneloops but we can't take camera flash test as the bible. A flash pop is a lot different than a gentle continuous draw of a flashlight. To be certain we would need to run tests with flashlights. I just think doing tests under actual load would give us a more "real world" picture.

That's all I was sayin...no big deal.

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A number of flashlights found on CPF can draw as much current as a camera flash. Eneloops perform well in such lights, as well as low-draw ones, for that matter. If you do a search of this board, you should find at least one or two load-based tests of the Eneloops.

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Hi Friends,

I have received my 8x AccuEvolution LSD D size and MAHA 808M Charger last week.

I made a setup to Discharge the batteries to test and get some non-scientific data.

Test:

- Batteries were reading ~1,285 before charging
- They all fully charged @2000ma
- They were discharged with ~0,55 Ohm ceramic resistor

Here are the result for first 4 batteries

AccuLSD.jpg

And in excel format: http://dosyalar.ledcozum.com/CPF/LSD/AccuLSD.xls

I have a question to SilverFox, is it normal to get ~8000mah capacity? According to datasheet discharge @2000mA must give near 10.000mAh (min: 8900mAh). These LSD's need any Charge/Discharge cycles before catching the nominal capacity?

Thanks,

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you're calculating the the current from the voltage and resistance.
How did you allow for any extra resistances in the discharge path?
Were you measuring the voltage at the cell, or across the resistor?

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Current calculated by voltage over Resistor. Data supplied on new table,

AccuLSD_2.jpg

It looks like you're calculating the the current from the voltage and resistance.
How did you allow for any extra resistances in the discharge path?
Were you measuring the voltage at the cell, or across the resistor?

SilverFox

Silver Moderator
Hello Eprom,

I would have expected results closer to the 8900 mAh listed on the data sheet. However, many brands are labeled "optimistically..."

You can run a few charge/discharge cycles on them to see if there is an improvement. It may be that the capacity will continue to improve with cycling.

Tom

Conan

Newly Enlightened
A number of flashlights found on CPF can draw as much current as a camera flash. Eneloops perform well in such lights, as well as low-draw ones, for that matter. If you do a search of this board, you should find at least one or two load-based tests of the Eneloops.

Yes it does but that Camera Flash test reveals that the 2700 mAh AA's outperform the Eneloops which is contrary to what I expected.

Russel

Enlightened
I took a couple of my AccuEvolution LSD D cells and charged them with a MH-C808M charger (at 2 amps) and allowed them to stay on the charger for an hour after the "done" indicator. Then rested them for an hour and discharged them at a rate of 1 amp with a MH-C9000 using a homemade D cell adapter.

Here are the results:

Cell 7 8866 mah

Cell 8 8950 mah

----------------------------

I am now charging them at C/10 (1 amp) for 16 hours. I'll rest them, then discharge again at 1 amp and post the results.

Edit: C/10 charge for 16 hours and 1 amp discharge with c9000:

Cell 7 9603 mah

Cell 8 9472 mah

-----------------------------

If I'm not mistaken, the standard discharge rate for testing is .2C, which in this case would be 2 amps. So, after the C9000 discharge tests, I'll try some with a CBAII at 2 amps.

Last edited:

servaas

Newly Enlightened
Exactly,
I can link to post done by a photographer that compared Sanyo Eneloop vs PowerEx Imedion AAs and it came to the exact same conclusion as the different thread that was linked above. The Imedion gave a slight increase in the number of shots but Eneloops blew away the Imedion on the time it takes for the flash to recycle to full power and ready for the next shot.
Do you mean this post http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=7716388&postcount=6

The test conducted was different, in that he is testing the time for a burst of five pops of the flash, which is a more 'real world' use pattern for a photographer. After the first 100 pop the difference is 3.84s for IMEDIONs and 3.37s eneloops for 5 pops, so the difference in flash refresh rate between the 2 battery brands is 0.094 seconds per pop, with the eneloop faster. I would not say "eneloop blew away IMEDION in the time it takes to recycle to full power"

As you say, if flash refresh rate is 'king' for you, then the Powerex 2700mAh AA's are the best choice. For the LSD battery user, the benefit of a faster refresh rate of 0.09s from the POTN test, or 39 pops in a minute compared to 45 pops in a minute from the photomalaysia test vs the benefit of a 5 % longer runtime before recharging from IMEDION (in both tests) is down to personal preference. Some will want the slight speed edge, some will want the higher capacity.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I'd love to see a set of the hobbyking Turnigy AA 2200mAh LSD batteries at $1.29 each tested.
I'll try to remember to grab a set on my next order, and I'd be willing to ship them over, but that might be a while.

Agarob

Newly Enlightened
Hi There

Can someone please direct me to the manner (with what ?) the tests on these bats where done>

Thanking you.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hi There

Can someone please direct me to the manner (with what ?) the tests on these bats where done>

Generally there are 3 tools used when testing NiMH batteries:

1) MAHA MH-C9000 can measure capacity (LaCrosse BC-700 and BC-900 can do the same).
2) CBA fro West Mountain Radio can discharge any battery and generates a curve on a computer.
3) Hobby charger can discharge and charge any battery and some models can generate a curve on a computer.

There are also some more advance battery test stations, but they are more expensive.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I'd love to see a set of the hobbyking Turnigy AA 2200mAh LSD batteries at $1.29 each tested.
I'll try to remember to grab a set on my next order, and I'd be willing to ship them over, but that might be a while.

Long ago I asked that someone should also include these batteries in their tests. So far no one was willing to bite. I have more of them than I have Eneloops, just because I feel they are 98%v just as good as the Eneloops. Just need someone who do these proper tests too agree with me.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.

I bought some "Ansmann Global Line AAA 1000mAh NiMH" and did a break-in test with my MH-C9000

789, 799, 771, 781 mah

Then i did an charge/discharge at .2c

783, 783, 768, 781

They are no-where near 1000mah

Thanks

John.

img0048.jpg