NiMh Shoot Out Part II

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been seriously impressed with some (UK-based) 7dayshop 'good-to-go' 2150mAh cells I just bought.

I should mention my C9000 seems a little pessimistic, never seeming to rate any of my many Eneloops quite as highly as other people seem to report.

With the previous-generation supposedly 2100mAh 'good-to-go' cells I was typically getting capacity readings about 100mAh or more less than from Eneloops, but that wasn't too unexpected or disappointing since the cells were rather cheaper.

With the current 2150mAh variants, I bought 16, which were between 1693-1751mAh on arrival.
On testing 4 cells pulled straight after charging showed complete in a cheap smart charger, I got 2165 to 2185mAh.

On testing 8 cells which had been smart-charged overnight, and so possibly topped up with a bit of a trickle, I got 2180-2240mAh out, which was impressive given I didn't expect to get even the claimed capacity.

Cells are slightly thicker than Eneloops, and about 2g heavier.
They may well be worse in various other aspects, but for a rather cheaper cell they're seeming pretty good so far.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's nothing to indicate place of manufacture on the cells - they came in plastic 4xAA holders, so no packaging as such.

For what it's worth about the only possibly useful features for identification I can see are the 'pip on the positive end has, running around it at the level of the white 'washer' are 3 slots, each about 1/6 of the circumference (where an Eneloop would have 4 small holes) and the raised disc on the cell base is slightly smaller diameter than an Eneloop.

Mass is 28.00-23.33g according to my cheap digital scales compared to 26-26.3g for Eneloops (so 2g heavier, rather then the 1.5g I wrote earlier, earlier post now corrected).

axforts

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, So I tried to make heads and tails of the charts and graphs but honestly I have no idea what im looking at. Im going to be purchasing a Fenix LD22 and I was told it was better to use a NiMH than alkaline batteries but there seem to be a LOT of options as far as those are concerned and I dont know if one is really that much better (more likely some are just crappy and Id want to avoid those). Is this something I can purchase at the checkout line of my grocer or something specific I should be ordering online. Any recommendations?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Axforts,

Welcome to CPF.

Basically the cells that have larger numbers for milli watt hours or milli amp hours will give you longer run time. In addition, you are looking for a higher voltage under the load you expect the cell to perform at. A cell that gives you 1.2 volts under load is better than one that gives you 1.1 volts.

Tom