NiMh Sub-C in Low Self Discharge??

lightforce2

Enlightened
I have a Lightforce Enforcer spotlight (picture below) that has a 12v battery pack containing 10 NiMh sub-C's. I would like to replace the existing cells with a quality brand of Sub-C in LSD chemistry.

I cant find any by searching with Google, does anyone know if if they are made?? It seems LSD's are only made in aaa/aa, but hoping I'm wrong!!

Thanks

enf.jpg

Turbo Guy

Enlightened
Have you considered using different cells such as 26650 LiFePO4?
They are approx. 0.140 larger dia. and approx. 50% longer but one cell replaces 3 Ni cells.

I use two of these in a handheld spotlight that had a 6 volt 3AH PB in it originally and the 2300 mAh cells provide longe run times and due to one of my other hobbies (R/C airplanes) I can recharge these in 20 minutes.Also can still be charged with original charger but this ability and any safety issues would need to be determined for each unit..

I also use two of these cells in a 5C Mag-Lite along with a LED Upgrade Module and an spacer cut from a section of aluinum tubing.

FYI There is a great deal of difference in the quality of Sub C Ni cells. There are higher capacity ones which are many times better than what comes in most consumer grade devices but they tend to be a little pricy also.

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant find any by searching with Google, does anyone know if if they are made?? It seems LSD's are only made in aaa/aa, but hoping I'm wrong!!

Well, you are wrong, as there are some C and D LSD cells available, but I haven't seen any sub-Cs.

Maybe you could rebuild the pack with C cells and a space-age duct-tape housing...

lightforce2

Enlightened
Have you considered using different cells such as 28650 LiFePO4?
They are approx. 0.140 larger dia. and approx. 50% longer but one cell replaces 3 Ni cells.
Yes I've considered other types of cell, the housing shape & size is designed to accomadate 10 sub-c. the 18650 LiFePo4 can only match the voltage, not the amperage as the cells currently in use are tabbed Sanyo 3000ma
Edit: I misread what you posted - I thought you meant 18650, I wasnt aware there are 28650 size cells, I'll have a look at them

Benson said:
Well, you are wrong, as there are some C and D LSD cells available, but I haven't seen any sub-Cs.

Maybe you could rebuild the pack with C cells and a space-age duct-tape housing...
I've seen the C & D's but they dont fit. Sticky tape (no matter how good) is not an option. would be better to try build a housing to accomadate larger cells but if I did this I would then upgrade to a light weight safe lithium type cell such as LiFePo4. I'll keep looking for LSD Sub-C's for a little while yet

Last edited:

Turbo Guy

Enlightened
Edit: I misread what you posted - I thought you meant 18650, I wasnt aware there are 28650 size cells, I'll have a look at them

Typo on my part they are 26650 and the ones I use are the same as used in DeWalt 36 V cordless power tools. 2300 mAh capacity will run at 60 amps cont. and 120 amp. burst. In my aircraft at 20 amp. average with burst to 80 amps. they provide the same flight times as 3300 mAh LiPolys.

They are so fare ahead of Nicad and NiMH there is no comparison. They are LiFePO4 with Nano Phoshate technology.Cell s produced by A123 Sysyems. There are same lower amp. ones made by K2 Energy Solutions which are 3300 mAh and are good for perhaps 10-15 amps.

Charles