Nite Ize Mini Mag LED upgrade at Lowes.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw these were $2.36 each at my local Lowes, don't know if this is the same price as other stores, but it is a great deal. Comes with clicky tail cap which is not the greatest but it does work and the 30 lumen LED module and reflector are pretty nice - brighter and floodier than the original Mini Mag incan bulb/reflector.

I also saw that lowes also has the 74 lumen Nite Ize PR drop in for 2-6 cell C/D lights for $14.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That is a great price.

The clicky kit typically ran $7-8 at box stores, but seem to be priced to sell (where they are still in stock).
My local Home Depot keeps them at regular price, and they sold out long ago at my local Lowes.

I used the clicky on one light and yes, the convenience was nice but it was hit or miss when I used a Yuji LED with the Nite Ize reflector. I thought it was the Yuji not playing nice with the bulb holder until trying a stock tailcap.
But the clicky worked fine with a Nite Ize LED module.

I remember trying one and being marvelled at the bright white output for a few hours versus my notably dimming light bulb and how the beam cleaned up pretty good. I bought a few then tried the Terra Lux version which was no brighter and actually turned out to be a piece-a-junk at 3x the price of the Nite Ize.

Definitely worth the coin for modernizing an old incan minimag. But nothing that will make a modern flashlight junky want to jump up and click their heels together. Just a plain vanilla type of value to keep that 25 year old minimag running another decade.

I also picked up a few of those PR base type Nite Ize for some incan big Mag's. Not bad. Again nothing to jump up n shout about. But definitely worth the coin for adding new life to any incan light that used PR base light bulbs. Now some vintage lights had a hole in the beam. The Nite Ize doesn't solve that. So when you drop one into your 2D 1967 Rayovac Sportsman you won't get a miracle. But you will get hours and hours of output at a fairly steady rate versus a half hour of bright then dim, dimmer, dimmest like in the good ole days.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ + 1.

These Nite Ize drop ins are not going to be all that impressive in terms of lumens, but they are a step up from the old incan bulbs that these lights used originally - a great way to keep an old light running! They might not dazzle you with lumens, but they are very practical for everyday use, 55/74 lumens in a old C or D Mag is a good amount of light for most uses (it is rare that we really need a ton of lumens) and you can tighten the focus down if you need to see at a distance.

The 30 lumen MM drop-in is great for around the house where it is bright enough for just about anything indoors/up close; I use my Nite Ized Mini Mag a lot inside. 30 lumens in a floody beam is great for this. The clicky switch feels kinda cheap and I wouldn't rely on it for critical use, but it works fine. One good thing about the clicky is that you can keep your focus without having to dial it in each time, one downside to this is that there are not a whole lot of threads left when the Mini Mag is focused and the head can come loose if you carry it this way in a pocket. Another minor issue with when using the clicky is that the LED module can move forward slightly over time creating a slight flicker - easily fixed by tightening the bezel to re-seat the LED. Of course you can always use the original tail cap with the drop in turning the mini Mag back into a twisty. Runtime with the Nite Ized Mini Mag is outstanding - more than a day straight on Eneloops! Definitely worth a couple bucks and change to keep a old Mini Mag from gathering dust. BTW if you can't find these at Lowes, home depot has them and they have dropped the price to $5.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put plumber's tape on the head threads so that it stays safely in the focused position.

The NiteIze mini-mag conversion kit was my gateway drug into the world of flashaholism...the LED is still in that original purple mini-mag my wife bought me, but I found another clicky that I liked better.

--flatline